- See Also: Names Used in the Warriors series.
In the Warriors books, the naming of cats follows a certain pattern. Every cat has a name to be identified by. They call each other by their given names at birth. It is up to the mother to decide the names of the kits. In a Clan, the name of a new kit is given with the suffix -kit at the end. In Twoleg territory, cats giving birth do not name their own kit. Most of the time a Twoleg does it for them. However, in some cases, a cat may name her own kits and get away from the Twolegs.
The names of Clan cats are constructed from two words (for example Bramble+Claw or Squirrel+Flight). Both of these words pertain to things or notions known to the Clan cats, and usually describe the appearance and / or the personality of the cat. These can be of the following:
- Colors and Patterns: White, Golden, Dark, Spotted
- Attributes: Brave, Sharp, Sweet, Wild
- Body Parts: Claw, Heart, Foot, Tail, Fur, Eye
- Plants and Animals: Birch, Holly, Hawk, Tiger, Flower
- Nature: Cloud, Sand, Stream, Stone, Moon
- Phenomena: Fire, Mist, Night, Storm
- Action: Pounce, Running, Leap, Step
Names are short, containing generally two or three syllables.
First Part of the Name
The first part (prefix) is given by the kit's parents upon its birth. The names can be of the following:
- Pertaining to the kit's appearance (Fox- for reddish coat, Tiny- for small size, Squirrel- for bushy tail)
- In honor of another cat or ancestor (Leaf- in honor of Leafstar and possibly Spottedleaf, Tiger- in honor of Tigerstar, Cinder- in honor of Cinderpelt)
- Some event pertaining to the birth or life of the kit (Storm- for being born in a storm)
- Other, seemingly unrelated to either (Holly-, Petal-)
Second Part of the Name
- Examples: Whitekit, Whitepaw, Whitestar
The suffix of warrior and medicine cat names are assigned by the Clan Leader, (or Medicine Cat, respectively) though they (or in some cases one of their parents) can request a specific name for themselves, if they wish.
The following notions are generally not used in Clan names (although some have been occasionally):
- -star, -kit and -paw are reserved as leader, kit, and apprentice suffixes (e.g. Firestar, Cherrykit, Molepaw) However, Tribe names use these words for their names.
- Spirit-, as this represents a sacred notion
- Shadow-, Thunder-, River-, Wind-, and Sky- in honor of the Clan founders who first had the names
- "Moon-" is a name reserved for places sacred to the Clans as places where leaders and medicine cats may commune with StarClan (such as the Moonpool and the Moonstone). The only known exception to this was Bluestar's mother, who was named Moonflower; however, Erin Hunter stated they could not change her name to Duskflower due to too many uses of Moonflower.
Addressing Each Other
It is considered rude and disrespectful to address a cat by his or her former name (that referred to a lower rank), for example, to address a warrior by their apprentice name or a leader by their warrior name.
If a name does not suit a Clan cat anymore, the Clan leader can decide to change their name via a Name Changing Ceremony. This often happens when a cat receives a significant injury, although it also happens when a warrior retires to the elder's den. For example, after Sparrowpelt had lost part of his tail in a fight with a badger, he was renamed Halftail. The Clan leader can also change a name at the request of another warrior.
According to tradition, modern Tribe kits are named for the first thing their mother sees when they are born. For example: Brook Where Small Fish Swim or Star That Shines On Water. These are usually shortened in conversations (like Brook or Star).
The names of The Ancients who lived by the lake and were the ancestors of the Tribe of Rushing Water are all two word constructions, relating to nature and often describing the cat's appearance as well. Examples are Jay's Wing, Dark Whiskers, or Stone Song.
Loner and Rogue Names
Similarly to Clan cats, loners and rogues have names pertaining to things or notions known to them (like Barley or Patch). Loners or rogues living close to Twolegs (or those who used to be kittypets) may assume the names given to them by the Twolegs (like Sasha or Smoky).
References and Citations
- ↑ Revealed in Outcast, page 129
- ↑ Revealed in Twilight, page 146
- ↑ Such as Purdy
- ↑ Revealed in Twilight, page 145
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 52
- ↑ Such as Whitewing
- ↑ Such as Goldenflower
- ↑ Such as Darkstripe
- ↑ Such as Spottedleaf
- ↑ Such as Braveheart
- ↑ Such as Sharpclaw
- ↑ Such as Sweetpaw
- ↑ Such as Wildfur
- ↑ Such as Clawface
- ↑ Such as Brightheart
- ↑ Such as Ashfoot
- ↑ Such as Sunnytail
- ↑ Such as Lilyfur
- ↑ Such as One-eye
- ↑ Such as Birchfall
- ↑ Such as Hollyleaf
- ↑ Such as Hawkfrost
- ↑ Such as Tigerstar
- ↑ Such as Flowerstar
- ↑ Such as Cloudtail
- ↑ Such as Sandstorm
- ↑ Such as Silverstream
- ↑ Such as Stonefur
- ↑ Such as Moonflower
- ↑ Such as Firestar
- ↑ Such as Mistkit (TC)
- ↑ Such as Nightstar
- ↑ Such as Featherstorm
- ↑ Such as Pouncetail
- ↑ Such as Runningwind
- ↑ Such as Rabbitleap
- ↑ Such as Heavystep
- ↑ Revealed in Sunset, page 27
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 301
- ↑ As Crowpaw did, asking Tallstar in Dawn to name him Crowfeather, in honor of Feathertail
- ↑ Such as Star That Shines On Water
- ↑ Such as Shadow
- ↑ Such as Brightsky and Skyheart
- ↑ For example, in Twilight and Sunset, Tigerstar, Brambleclaw, and Hawkfrost call each other by name, instead of "Father", "Son", "Brother." In Outcast, Hollypaw calls Squirrelflight by her name, instead of "Mother"
- ↑ Poppydawn calling her daughter, Sweetpaw, by her prefix, Sweet. Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 269
- ↑ When Lionblaze called his brother, Jayfeather, "Jay" in Night Whispers
- ↑ Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 154
- ↑ Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 129
- ↑ Such as One-eye
- ↑ Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 108
- ↑ Revealed in Cats of the Clans, page 82
- ↑ Revealed in Moonrise, page 94
- ↑ Revealed in Long Shadows, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in The Sun Trail, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 295
- ↑ Such as Fallen Leaves
- ↑ Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 149
- ↑ Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 332
- ↑ 59.0 59.1 Revealed in Dark River, page 86
- ↑ Revealed in The Rise of Scourge, Page 50
- ↑ For example, Rusty, Princess, Smudge etc all refer to themselves and to each other by the names given to them by the Twolegs. In Midnight, Purdy says "Upwalkers called me different names... the Upwalker who had the fire called me Purdy"
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 37
|Hierarchy and Groups in the Warriors World|
|Clan Hierarchy||Kits • Apprentices • Warriors • Deputies • Leaders • Queens • Elders • Medicine Cats|
|Ceremonies||Vigil • Apprentice • Warrior • Deputy • Leader • Elder • Medicine Cat • Name Changing|
|Tribe Hierarchy||To-Bes • Cave-Guards • Prey Hunters • Kit Mothers • Healer/Stoneteller|
|Miscellaneous||General Clan Information • General Tribe Information • Cat Names|
|Other Groups||Loners • Rogues • BloodClan • Cats of the Park • The Early Settlers • Clear Sky's Group • Tall Shadow's Group|