|"As you've heard, we are not always perfect, but we have a great deal of faith in our warrior ancestors. The code lives in our heartbeat, the blood pulsing beneath our fur. When we die, the code carries on in our kits, and their kits, for all the moons to come. StarClan willing, the code of the Clans will live forever, until the forest and the lake have turned to dust and our hunting grounds are no more."|
|— Leafpool concluding the kittypet's time with her in Code of the Clans, page 156|
|Code of the Clans|
|Cover Artist:||Wayne McLoughlin|
|Jacket Designer:||Hillary Zarycky|
|Publish Date:||9 June 2009|
|The warrior Clans have embraced the warrior code for as long as any living cat can remember. Now, for the first time, discover the secrets behind the code: What was the origin of the code? Which cats decreed the legendary laws? Which laws failed to become part of the code? All this and more will be revealed in Code of the Clans!|
- For Mr. Pugh, with love
The Front Flap
The secrets behind the warrior code will finally be revealed....
- An ominous sign from StarClan that signaled the need to patrol borders.
- The unexpected help from a warrior ancestor that cemented the importance of elders.
- A secret coup that led to a deputy's new role.
- A medicine cat's pleas that stopped a spree of interClan bloodshed.
- And many more never-before-told stories!
LIVE BY THE WARRIOR CODE...
The warrior clans have embraced the warrior code for as long as any living cat can remember. Now, for the first time, discover the secrets behind the code: What was the origin of the code? Which cats decreed the legendary laws? Which laws failed to become part of the code? All this and more will be revealed in CODE OF THE CLANS!
Detailed Plot Summary
- Though it has no real plot, Code of the Clans contains a lot of information that is not revealed in the main series books. It starts with the story of the beginning of the Clans, and goes on to explain how in the beginning, the cats divided themselves up based on their prey preferences. During the early times of the Clans, there were no borders. Each of the Clans respective hunting grounds contained suitable prey that would satisfy their tastes. They rarely ever meet, only if they happened to be tracking the same piece of prey.
- Leafpool narrates the story which includes explanations of how all the laws of the Warrior Code were created, why they were created, laws that were not accepted as part of the code, examples of cats breaking the warrior code or following it, and short stories from different cats who narrate on what they think of the different Codes.
- There are also short stories from other cats who talk on subjects close to them such as Sandstorm confessing her love for Firestar, Tallstar explaining his choosing of Onewhisker for leader of WindClan, Cloudstar and the exiled SkyClan, and Whitestorm teaching a group of young apprentices about guarding the ThunderClan border. There is also a story explaining how to act during a warrior vigil, narrated by Squirrelflight.
- For a comprehensive list of events from each story, see the cliffnotes.
- Squirrelflight's Words of Wisdom has Squirrelflight telling of when she had her warrior vigil. However, this cannot be true, because Squirrelflight never had a vigil, due to her being given her warrior name while all four Clans were gathered up on the hill during Starlight, and not having a vigil.
- In A Dark Path Chosen, Longtail is referred to as Longstripe.
- In Who Goes There? Whitestorm Teaches Border Tactics, Graypaw is mistakenly called Graystripe. This would have taken place before Graystripe was given his warrior name, as Ravenpaw is still in ThunderClan.
- Code of the Clans (EN), HarperCollins (hardcover), 9 June 2009
- Code of the Clans (EN), HarperCollins (e-book), 9 June 2009
- Das Gesetz der Krieger (DE), Beltz & Gelberg (hardcover), 30 July 2011, translated by Friederike Levin
- Chapter-by-Chapter Notes
- Character List
- Book Cover Gallery
- The Warrior Code
- HarperCollins Browse Inside
References and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Revealed in the front matter
- ↑ Revealed in the inside right-flap
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Information from amazon.com
- ↑ Revealed in an author chat
- ↑ Revealed in Starlight, pages 26-27
- ↑ Revealed in Code of the Clans, page 42
- ↑ Revealed in Code of the Clans, page 109
- ↑ Revealed in Code of the Clans, page 107
- ↑ Information from amazon.com
- ↑ Information from