- Below contains in-depth information for chapter eight of Crookedstar's Promise. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: 8 (of 40)
- Page Numbers: 95-106
- Crookedkit finds himself in a dark and eerie forest, with Mapleshade glaring at him while angrily pointing out that he has been away from RiverClan for an entire moon. He is doubtful that the Clan misses him, believing that they would be glad to get rid of such a useless warrior. Mapleshade tries to tell him that he isn't useless, and Crookedkit insists that he knows, and think about how he hunts every day on the farm and helps look after Mitzi's kits. He also thinks about how Fleck doesn't care about his lack of an apprentice name and still taught him how to catch mice, how to watch the kits, and how to watch out for monsters that ran off the Thunderpath. He believes that this would mean nothing to his Clanmates, however, and Mapleshade tells him that he must prove himself to them. Crookedkit asks in a hiss why he should since they stopped believing in him, and Mapleshade argues that every warrior must prove themselves and that he must go home as his destiny lies with his Clan. Crookedkit decides that he will go back when he is big enough and strong enough to be an apprentice, and Mapleshade insists that he's big enough already after eating so many mice. Briefly Crookedkit thinks about how he misses the river but then remembers how much he likes being needed on the farm and how Magpie and Mist look up to him, wondering if maybe his great destiny lied at the farm instead.
- Crookedkit wakes up after Mapleshade tells him again that he must prove himself as a RiverClan cat before they begin to call him a loner instead. He nudges Fleck awake, saying that he can smell mice a Fleck tells him he should wait for harvest time, as that's when the mice really start to run. Crookedkit licks his lips and tells Fleck he found a new mouse nest yesterday, and they go to find the nest together. They find it, and Fleck points out that they'll have to wait for the mice to come to them. Fleck's whiskers quiver and he asks if Crookedkit really can wait, saying that while he may have grown the past moon he's still as impatient as a kit. Crookedkit stubbornly crouches besides the nettles while Fleck goes to see if he can find anything behind the wood store.
- Crookedkit shifts his paws as Fleck pads away and disappears around the corner. He convinces himself that he can wait and flicks his tail, staring at the nettles with his ears pricked and his whiskers stiff. He waits for movement, but nothing stirs. He curls and uncurls his claws, then tastes the air to see if there is any mouse scent, but there is none. An itch makes his tail quiver and he tries to ignore it, but it becomes unbearable and he twists and nibbles at it. He assumes the hole is empty, and he stares at the corner where Fleck had disappeared.
- More Coming Soon
- He is mistakenly called Crookedpaw.
References and Citations
|Crookedstar's Promise chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25 • Chapter 26 • Chapter 27 • Chapter 28 • Chapter 29 • Chapter 30 • Chapter 31 • Chapter 32 • Chapter 33 • Chapter 34 • Chapter 35 • Chapter 36 • Chapter 37 • Chapter 38 • Chapter 39 • Chapter 40 • Manga|