|Chapter Number:||1 (of 21)|
|Point of View:||Lionpaw|
- Below contains in-depth information for chapter one of Dark River. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: 1 (of 21)
- Page Numbers: 6-25
- Lionpaw is play-fighting with Hollypaw and Jaypaw. They are pretending ShadowClan warriors are attacking camp while they are planning to ambush them. They pretend they are fighting them, Hollypaw taking on three pretend ShadowClan warriors. Squirrelflight, the mother of the three apprentices, scolds them. Their father who they pretended was a ShadowClan warrior, Brambleclaw, tells them it was a good ambush, but they shouldn't be playing here.
- Lionpaw slides to the ground, mewing sulkily that it's the only good place for a surprise attack. He looks around the half-finished den. Hollypaw pads toward them, leaving her imaginary foes behind, pointing out they aren't getting in anyone's way. She fluffs her fur out against the wind. Newleaf sunshine has taken the chill from the hollow, but the afternoon had brought a breeze from the mountains that reminds Lionpaw that leaf-bare was less than a quarter moon behind them.
- Squirrelflight demands what if all the apprentices start to practice their battle moves there, the walls would be broken and all of Birchfall and Graystripe's would have been for nothing. Brambleclaw adds that they need to expand the warriors den before the other apprentices become warriors, the dens already crowded. Jaypaw lifts his chin, mewing they get the point. His fur is ruffled with bits of leaves sticking out of it.
- Squirrelflight licks Jaypaw roughly between the ears, scolding her kits for making themselves filthy, they'll be leaving for the Gathering soon. Lionpaw begins to wash the leaf dust from his chest before his mother could start licking him. Jaypaw ducks away from Squirrelflight's tongue, complaining he can do it himself. Brambleclaw meows to his mate to leave them be, he's sure they'll smarten up before they leave. Lionpaw promises they will, adding they've been waiting for this for ages, his question aimed toward Jaypaw.
- His brother mutters and Lionpaw flexes his claws, wondering why Jaypaw had to be so grumpy all the time. This would be his first Gathering, he has to be looking forward to it. He has missed the last two because of his punishment an once because his medicine duties had kept him in camp. Lionpaw knows his littermate well enough to know how important it is to be able to do what the other cats did, despite his blindness, and that included going to Gatherings.
- Squirrelflight orders them to hurry up, before Firestar notices, while herding her kits toward the gap in the wall, adding they should go find something from the fresh-kill pile. Lionpaw's tail pricks with excitement at the thought of the Gathering, he can almost smell the pine scents from the island.
- But Hollypaw's eyes glitter with worry as she says she hopes the other Clans don't pick on ThunderClan again. She asks if they know if Millie is coming, perhaps she should stay behind this time. Squirrelflight points out that Millie can take care of herself. Brambleclaw adds that the contest seems to have smoothed things out. Hollypaw mews for how long. Jaypaw snorts she's always fretting over something, it's like living with an anxious owl.
- Squirrelflight points out that Newleaf is here, there's more prey running around, so the Clans should be less prickly. Hollypaw glances at Jaypaw, meowing that some cats are still prickly with a full belly. Squirrelflight hushes her, nudging Hollypaw with her nose, telling her to go eat. Hollypaw mews she was only telling the truth, starting forward, but Jaypaw barges past her. She lets out a yelp, glaring after her brother, who is already half-way to the medicine den, complaining that he nipped her.
- Lionpaw's whiskers twitch, teases her that she can fight of ShadowClan warriors single-pawed, but one nip from her littermate and she squeals like a kit. Her soft tail flicks his nose, mewing he'd have squealed too. Lionpaw says he hasn't squealed since he left the nursery. Hollypaw narrows her eyes mischievously, saying how about she nips him and they'll see how brave he really is. He mews she'll have to catch him first, then darts away, his sister pounding after him. He skids to a halt beside the fresh-kill pile and tosses her a mouse as she catches up, telling her to nip that instead.
- The full-moon floats in a clear blue sky, and ahead, the island rises up from the lake. Lionpaw walks beside Hollypaw, following his Clanmates along the pebbly shore. He glances at Jaypaw again, who's padding alongside Leafpool. Her flank occasionally graze his, steering him around sharp stones or protruding roots. Lionpaw wonders if he should warn Jaypaw about the tree-bridge.
- Hollypaw mews beside him that it'll be good to see Willowpaw. He echoes her, distracted. There is only one apprentice he is hoping to see; Heatherpaw, the pretty WindClan apprentice. He lets out a small sigh. Hollypaw nudges him, asking what he's thinking about. Lionpaw mews quickly that he's thinking about Jaypaw, if he could make it over the tree-bridge. Hollypaw warns him to not let their brother hear that.
- Lionpaw suddenly feels cold water seep over his claws. Firestar had led them onto the marshy edge of RiverClan's territory. Sandstorm picks her wa after him. Brambleclaw and Squirrelflight pad beside Millie and Graystripe, while Birchfall and Dustpelt follow, talking quietly. Hazelpaw is listenng to her mentor while Berrypaw dodges from side to side, sniffing among the clumps of grass as if he is going to find prey.
- Hollypaw reminds him hunting on another Clan's territory is forbidden. Berrypaw snorts that he knows, but there isn't harm in looking. Hollypaw mews just as long as he's looking. Graystripe lets out a loud purr, calling to Firestar and meowing that it looks like Hollypaw is preparing to challenge him for leadership. Lionpaw glances back at his sister, wondering if that was the gray warrior's gentle way of telling her not to be so bossy.
- Firestar purrs back that she can challenge all she wants, he doesn't think he'll have to worry until she's a little bigger. Hollypaw fluffs out her pelt, claiming she was just telling him. Firestar halts among the snaking roots of the fallen tree the crosses the water between the shore and the island. The scents of WindClan and ShadowClan are fresh on the bark.
- Lionpaw pricks his ears, hearing faint mews drifting from the island. Sandstorm jumps up nimbly and weaves her way between the stumps and knots until she reaches the other side. One by one, the Clan follows. Lionpaw stands back as Hollypaw leaps after Hazelpaw. She asks if he's coming.
- Jaypaw mews from behind them he's waiting to make sure he doesn't fall in. Lionpaw explains it's only because he almost fell in last time. Jaypaw reaches into the tangle of roots, feeling his way with his forepaws. Leafpool jumps past him onto the trunk, meowing it's not too high. Jaypaw lifts his nose and sniffs, then pushes off with his hindlegs and claws his way through the trunk beside her. His forepaws instantly slip.
- Lionpaw's heart lurches as Jaypaw shoots sideways, but Leafpool darts toward him and he has already dug his claws into the bark and steadied himself. Lionpaw fights the urge to jump up and help his brother. Hollypaw calls from the shore for Jaypaw to jump that way. Jaypaw leaps down, landing a little clumsily. Lionpaw feels a wave of relief.
- More Coming Soon
References and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Revealed in Dark River, page 6
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Revealed in Dark River, page 7
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Revealed in Dark River, page 12
- ↑ Revealed in Dark River, page 13
- ↑ Revealed in Dark River, page 14
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Revealed in Dark River, page 16
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Revealed in Dark River, page 17
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 Revealed in Dark River, page 19
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Revealed in Dark River, page 20
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 10.5 Revealed in Dark River, page 21
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Revealed in Dark River, page 22
- ↑ Revealed in Dark River, page 11
- ↑ Revealed in Dark River, page 15
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Revealed in Dark River, page 18
|Dark River chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21|