|"Lionblaze watched her go, his heart sinking. He was only just beginning to understand Jayfeather's abilities; now he was faced with another cat whose powers were beyond anything he could imagine."|
|— Lionblaze after his argument with Dovepaw in Fading Echoes, page 50|
|Chapter Number:||4 (of 24)|
|Point of View:||Lionblaze|
- Below contains in-depth information for chapter four of Fading Echoes. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: 4 (of 24)
- Page Numbers: 43-54
- Lionblaze, Cinderheart, Dovepaw, and Ivypaw are practicing climbing trees. Lionblaze calls out to Dovepaw that she's climbing the tree all wrong. It's a rainy day, making it hard for the apprentices to train. Sitting next to Ivypaw, Cinderheart wonders if it's a good day for tree-fighting. The golden tom replies that it's the best weather, for the apprentices will find it even easier when it's dry. Firestar had implemented tree-fighting sessions in order to utilize ThunderClan's skill in tree climbing.
- Lionblaze instructs the apprentices to climb up again and imagine he's a whole ShadowClan patrol. He's tired and hungry and doesn't understand what training has to do with the prophecy, but Jayfeather had told him to wait. To Lionblaze's worry, Cinderheart offers to instruct them on how to climb. She rolls her eyes, saying they'll be careful, and helps her apprentice, then Lionblaze's, up the tree. Lionblaze compliments Dovepaw on her speed. Cinderheart climbs after them, and explains how to best drop down on an enemy, landing squarely on their shoulders. The apprentices realize it'd be difficult to surprise the waiting tom, as Lionblaze had been staring right at them, and climb onto farther branches. Lionblaze offers to wander around.
- Cinderheart warns Ivypaw and Dovepaw to concentrate where their paws go and to grip the branch with their claws. Ivypaw falls from the tree, landing on top of Lionblaze. Ivypaw jumps up, shocked, and apologizes. Lionblaze jokingly remarks that he's the one who's supposed to get surprised, not her. Embarrassed, the she-cat scrambles up the tree.
- Cinderheart tells Dovepaw to be careful, as the branch won't hold her weight. Lionblaze looks up; he sees the apprentice on a broken, narrow branch. She slides off the branch, tumbling into others as she falls, unable to grip them with her claws. To Lionblaze's relief, the branches break her fall, and she ungracefully plops onto the ground. The golden cat shakes his head, remarking that he didn't expect it to be raining cats when Jayfeather had told him that it'd rain. Dovepaw brightens and climbs back into the tree; while waiting for the surprise attack, Lionblaze tracks down a squirrel. After he kills it, he hears rustling above, and Dovepaw and Ivypaw drop down onto his shoulders. The warrior compliments the pair on their strategy of deafening the enemy, and Cinderheart appears, looking pleased, and compliments his catch. The apprentices ask to try again, and Ivypaw races toward a tree. Dovepaw, on the contrary, has paused with her ears pricked; Lionblaze realizes that she's heard something, noticing anxiety darkening her eyes. He dismisses Cinderheart to train Ivypaw, saying he wants to show his apprentice a hunting technique. The silver-and-white she-cat wants to try it, but the golden tom tells her that he'll show her another time.
- Lionblaze pads over to Dovepaw and asks what she heard, to which she reveals that she heard dogs in WindClan. He reassures her that they chase sheep on their territory all the time. Dovepaw clarifies that the dogs aren't chasing sheep, but cats, and that they have to help the patrol getting chased. Lionblaze says they'll be fine. The she-cat tells him that Sedgewhisker is on the patrol, currently being bitten by one of the dogs. She then says that the rest of the patrol are helping her and fighting off the dogs. The golden tom is relieved, telling the apprentice that Sedgewhisker will be safe. Dovepaw hisses, asking him how he knows, and the warrior realizes she's clinging onto the friendships she made during the journey. He reminds her that they're home, and they can't be close to other Clans because the warrior code says so. She asks how he could be so cold, to which Lionblaze replies that he isn't, and things have changed. Dovepaw snaps that she hasn't changed, asking what's the use of hearing faraway things if she can't do anything.
- Lionblaze suggests to try to limit her senses to ThunderClan's territory, and Dovepaw looks at him as if he has grown another head. She asks if the prophecy is bigger than the warrior code, to which the golden tom nods warily. The she-cat concludes that her powers aren't just for ThunderClan's benefit. Lionblaze reminds her that they should stay loyal to their own Clan; Dovepaw, glaring, questions whether she's loyal to the code or to the prophecy. Not waiting for the tom to answer, she pelts towards a tree and climbs the trunk after Cinderheart and Ivypaw.
- More Coming Soon
References and Citations
|Fading Echoes chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24|