|Chapter Number:||prologue (of 36)|
|Point of View:||Firestar|
- Below contains in-depth information for the prologue of Firestar's Quest. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: Prologue (of 36)
- Page Numbers: 1-7
- It is the Gathering; the Clans are at Fourtrees, waiting for SkyClan to arrive. The leaders of ThunderClan, RiverClan, WindClan and ShadowClan greet each other, and WindClan's leader, Swiftstar, thinks they should begin the Gathering; because waiting is just wasting their time. But Dawnstar, ShadowClan's leader says that they cannot start, as not all of them are there.
- SkyClan arrives. Cloudstar, their leader, seems to have brought his whole Clan, the apprentices are looking around, nervous but excited, and the queens carry kits in their jaws as the older kits walk alongside their mothers. Weak elders limp into the clearing with the help of the warriors. Swiftstar's suspicions about Cloudstar bringing his whole Clan are confirmed to be true, and Cloudstar tells them why; Twolegs have been destroying SkyClan's territory with monsters which have been tearing up trees, scaring off prey and churning up the earth. Cloudstar asks the Clans if they could give up some territory for SkyClan to live in, but all the leaders object, Redstar and Dawnstar say that the prey is running well in their territories, but when leaf-fall and leaf-bare comes, they will need all their territory, Birchstar says the river is low, and SkyClan doesn't even know how to fish, and Swiftstar says that only WindClan is fast enough to catch moorland prey. Cloudstar asks what they are supposed to do.
- A silence falls over Fourtrees, but it is broken by a single word from Redstar; he tells SkyClan to leave the forest, and Swiftstar agrees, with a slight snarl in his voice. WindClan's medicine cat, Larkwing, objects, saying that StarClan will not be happy about this, but Swiftstar goes on to say that StarClan obviously want SkyClan to go, because they've not sent clouds over the moon. Redstar agrees, saying that the will of StarClan must have changed, as they do not seem to be angered by the living cat's decision to allow SkyClan to leave. Cats begin to call out that SkyClan do not belong in the forest anymore; that they should be chased out.
- Cloudstar, as brave a leader as he is, calls out for silence. He tells his Clan that this is a battle that SkyClan cannot win, so they leave Fourtrees willingly. A she-cat comes to walk beside Cloudstar; it is his mate, Birdflight, saying that their two kits are too young to travel so far. ThunderClan's medicine cat, Kestrelwing, tells Birdflight to return with him to ThunderClan; Redstar may have chased out SkyClan, but he won't let kits die.
- With that, SkyClan leave the forest forever, and Cloudstar vows that SkyClan will never look to StarClan for guidance ever again, as they have betrayed the fifth Clan.
References and Citations
|Firestar's Quest chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25 • Chapter 26 • Chapter 27 • Chapter 28 • Chapter 29 • Chapter 30 • Chapter 31 • Chapter 32 • Chapter 33 • Chapter 34 • Chapter 35 • Chapter 36 • Epilogue|