|"I thought you only wanted us to meet at Fourtrees... What are you doing here?"|
|— Silverstream to Fireheart about her and Graystripe in Forest of Secrets, page 52|
|Forest of Secrets|
|Chapter Number:||4 (of 30)|
|Point of View:||Fireheart|
- Below contains in-depth information for chapter four of Forest of Secrets. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: 4 (of 30)
- Page Numbers: 43-59
- Fireheart, Graystripe, Sandstorm, and Brackenpaw head up the ravine on a cold, snowy day. Fireheart notices the sun out and hopes newleaf is coming. Graystripe hopes that the sun will bring the prey out, but Sandstorm teasingly says Graystripe's stomping will scare it all away. Fireheart is glad to be hunting with friends. Even though their hunting is a punishment, Bluestar never said they had to hunt alone. He goes on to think about earlier that morning, when Tigerclaw had glared at him in passing with the morning patrol trailing behind him.
- Once they reached the top of the slope, Sandstorm splits off while Graystripe tells Brackenpaw to look for mice among the roots. Fireheart feels loss as he watches them, thinking that Cinderpaw should be with them too. He pushes away these feelings, knowing she is safe in the medicine den with Yellowfang. Fireheart scents the air, quickly finding a rabbit and pouncing quickly. He quickly drags it back to camp, where Bluestar tells him to take it straight to Yellowfang in her den. Fireheart is warmed by his leader's approval, and takes it through the medicine den's fern tunnel.
- He spots Cinderpaw and Yellowfang side by side in the mouth of the den. Yellowfang asks what One-eye needs for her cracked pads, and she replies that she needs marigold leaves and ointment of yarrow. Yellowfang praises her, and she brightens up with pride before taking One-eye her medicine. As she stands up to leave, Cinderpaw spots Fireheart standing at the den entrance. She hobbled over to him, and Fireheart is pierced with loss, knowing she would have made a great warrior.
- Fireheart gives Yellowfang the rabbit, as she complains about half the Clan having been in her den since sunrise. Yellowfang sends Cinderpaw off, and as soon as she's out of earshot Fireheart asks how she's settling in, to which Yellowfang snaps at him to stop worrying so much. Fireheart wishes he could, since he does feel partially responsible as her mentor for the incident on the Thunderpath. Then, he remembers how the incident happened, and starts to think it was really a trap for Bluestar, and that it was Tigerclaw's fault. As he returns to hunting, he feels a surge of determination to bring Tigerclaw's guilt into the open for the sake of Redtail, Cinderpaw, and Ravenpaw.
- The day after their hunting punishment, Fireheart decides he can't lose any more time, and plans to visit RiverClan with Graystripe. Graystripe peeks out over the river, and decides the coast is clear. They slowly cross the frozen river. Once they reached the far bank, they climb into some reeds and scent the air again. Fireheart says to Graystripe that he really needs to talk to a RiverClan cat, and that Silverstream is most likely to help. They both approach the RiverClan camp, with Fireheart wondering how they will get to the island when the water isn't frozen.
- They dashed up the slope to a shrub with a clear view of the entrance to RiverClan's camp, to wait for Silverstream. Fireheart is nearly spotted by a tabby carrying prey, but she doesn't scent him due to the prey she is carrying. Leopardfur and four other cats head out of camp on a patrol, and Fireheart shudders at what he envisions would happen if she found them on this side of the river. As that patrol heads towards Sunningrocks, Silverstream appears. Graystripe purrs at the sight of her, and Fireheart understands why his friend was captivated by her. Graystripe rises to call out to her, when he realizes it's a hunting patrol with Blackclaw and his apprentice.
- Fireheart doubts they'd be able to separate Silverstream from her companions, but she detected them when Graystripe let out a short, sharp hiss. Silverstream hears him and tells Blackclaw that she'd catch up with them after she caught a mouse in the bushes. Once Silverstream and Graystripe greet each other, she asks why they have come, as she thought they now only met at Fourtrees. Fireheart explains that he needs to know about the battle where Oakheart died, and asks if she was there. Silverstream offers to bring Mistyfoot to talk to them, and she goes to fetch her from camp.
- Fireheart is beginning to get nervous about staying in RiverClan territory for so long, just as Silverstream comes back with a slender gray queen. Fireheart thinks she looked familiar, then quickly decides he must have seen her at a Gathering. Silverstream tells Mistyfoot it's fine, and that she knew they were here. But she still is hesitant to trust the ThunderClan cats, but is convinced by Fireheart they mean no harm. Graystripe and Silverstream leave them alone, which Fireheart protests to. Graystripe also says to roll in some fox-dung to hide the RiverClan scent when they return. Mistyfoot mentions that she remembers Fireheart from a Gathering, where he was said to be a kittypet, with thinly veiled suspicion. He explains that he's a warrior now. After she asks what he wants to know since she fought in the battle.
- Mistyfoot tells Fireheart that Oakheart was her father, and that his death was an accident in a rockfall. Then he asks why one of ThunderClan's warriors heard Oakheart say that no ThunderClan warrior should ever harm Stonefur. Mistyfoot admits that she doesn't know, because Oakheart never protected them from anything, and always wanted them to make their Clan proud. She then said that Graypool might know, if anything. Fireheart asked her if she could come now, but Mistyfoot insisted that he go back, since Leopardfur's patrol would be returning soon. As he leaves, Mistyfoot tells him not to forget the fox-dung. He thanks her and goes to find Graystripe.
References and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 43
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 45
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 51
- ↑ Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 54
- ↑ Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 44
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 47
- ↑ Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 57
- ↑ Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 58
|Forest of Secrets chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25 • Chapter 26 • Chapter 27 • Chapter 28 • Chapter 29 • Chapter 30|