|"You must do whatever you think is best. But I know one thing. Nothing meant more to Graystripe than your friendship and his Clan. Even when he was in RiverClan he longed to go home. He would want to see ThunderClan as strong as it could possibly be even if that meant accepting he's not coming back."|
|— Stormfur to Firestar about Graystripe in Sunset, pages 250-251|
Graystripe is a shaggy, big, sturdy, muscular, bulky, long-haired, solid dark gray tom with a broad face, a wide, furry head, thick, sleek, sturdy, broad, furry, muscular shoulders, strong jaws, a soft muzzle, a stripe of darker gray fur running down his back, a torn left ear, a thick, bushy tail, wide, soft paws, thorn-sharp claws, soft fur, a gray nose, and big yellow eyes.
In the Super Edition Arc
- At the end of the book, Bluestar sees Rusty sitting on his fence post, and, remembering the prophecy, she asks Whitestorm to tell Graypaw to stalk Rusty for a little while before she can decide if she wants to invite him into her Clan.
- Graystripe is the deputy of ThunderClan when this book begins. When Firestar asks if the patrols are back, Graystripe reports that the last one has come in. Graystripe tells him that the hunting patrol had caught lots of prey, and that Thornclaw was going to send the apprentices to collect it. He then asks Firestar why he wanted the patrols, and Firestar said that he wanted to know if there was anything to report. Firestar then asks Graystripe if they'd seen any rogues on their territory, and Graystripe replies, saying not a trace. He asks if something was bothering Firestar, but Firestar says he is fine. He reports that a fox had crossed over to ThunderClan territory.
- Sandstorm tells Firestar that Brambleclaw had been hunting with Ashfur and Graystripe all afternoon. When Longtail gets his eyes scratched by a rabbit, Graystripe and Mousefur are seen coming out of the warriors' den to see what was going on. Graystripe offers to lead a hunting patrol.
- When they are attending a Gathering, Graystripe tells Brambleclaw to calm down because he is so excited to go to his first Gathering as a warrior. Graystripe tells Brambleclaw that the Clans might not believe it if he kept on acting like an apprentice. Once the Gathering ends, Firestar tells Graystripe and Sandstorm to bring the Clan back to camp so that he can go to the Moonstone. Graystripe offers to go with Firestar, but Firestar tells him that he'll be fine on his own. He tells Firestar to tell Ravenpaw that he said hello when he passes his farm.
- When Firestar decides to tell someone about the journey he would be embarking on, Graystripe is one of the three cats he told, along with Sandstorm and Cinderpelt. Before Firestar can finish telling the three cats, Graystripe and Sandstorm accuse him of abandoning his Clan to return to his kittypet life, as that is what they believe he is going to tell them. He wants Sandstorm to come with him and she gladly accepts, while Graystripe and Cinderpelt promise to watch over the Clan. When Firestar leaves, Graystripe is left in charge of the Clan along with Cinderpelt until Firestar and Sandstorm return from rebuilding SkyClan. When Firestar and Sandstorm are leaving, Graystripe tells Firestar that he will wait for him forever.
In the Original Arc
- On Graypaw's first night out as an apprentice, he meets Rusty, a flame-colored kittypet. Rusty strayed out of the kittypet domain he lived in, which granted him to a small fight with Graypaw. Then, Graypaw tells him he fought a good fight, for a kittypet, and proceeds to tell him about the Clans. He then scents cats from his Clan and tells Rusty to go away. Rusty didn't take to the warning in time and Bluestar and Lionheart find the two, making Graypaw crouch under their presences. He is then pleased with Bluestar's praise as she tells them that they've been watching them and is glad to see how he reacted toward an intruder. Bluestar asks Rusty to join the Clan, but Rusty says he wishes to give it some thought.
- The next day, when Rusty arrives at ThunderClan camp after deciding to accept Bluestar's offer, Graypaw watches him fight Longtail. He congratulates him on his victory along with some other cats of ThunderClan. He is interrupted, however, when Ravenpaw arrives back to camp from a battle against RiverClan alone, despite having left camp with a patrol. Graypaw is shocked along with the rest of the Clan when Ravenpaw announces Redtail's death at the paws of Oakheart. He and Firepaw visit Ravenpaw in the medicine cat's den while Spottedleaf is treating his injuries After talking to Ravenpaw, he and Firepaw are asked to leave the den by Spottedleaf and the two retire to bed in the apprentices' den as cats go to sit vigil for Redtail.
- Two moons after Firepaw joined the Clan, Graypaw bumps into him, on his way to deliver a message to the patrol along the WindClan border from Bluestar. Graypaw hunts with Firepaw for a bit, then runs off to deliver the message. When Graypaw meets Firepaw and Yellowfang with the patrol, he reassured his friend that Bluestar would give him a fair punishment. Later, when Bluestar calls a Clan meeting, he is in awe when Bluestar takes Firepaw on as her apprentice.
- Once Firepaw's training is started again, Graypaw and his two friends attend the first Gathering since the disappearance of WindClan and meet all sorts of cats.
- After returning from the Gathering, Graypaw, Firepaw and Ravenpaw accompany Bluestar and Tigerclaw to the Moonstone. When the cats return, they meet Barley. He tells them that the dogs are unleashed at night, and the safest way to get back to ThunderClan is through the fields. They are attacked by rats, and Bluestar loses a life. She says that was her fifth life, and then Tigerclaw accuses Barley of leading them into a trap. They then travel back to camp, then realize that the camp is being attacked by ShadowClan.
- After the battle, Lionheart is seriously injured, and he dies from his injuries. Graypaw is grief-stricken, but finishes his training with Ravenpaw's mentor, Tigerclaw. While Graypaw was grieving, he let out a loud cry exactly like the one in Firepaw's dream. Firepaw shakes it off, and tells himself that he needed to be there for his friend. One day, when Firepaw returns from hunting Graypaw shows him his paw he cut on a sharp rock in the stream. Firepaw tells him to go to Spottedleaf after staring at it.
- A few days later, Frostfur's four kits disappear and their kidnapper killed Spottedleaf. In addition to that, Yellowfang has disappeared and is accused of killing Spottedleaf and taking the kits to ShadowClan. Bluestar assigns Firepaw to find her. Firepaw then explains to Graypaw, when they're out of camp, that Tigerclaw had killed Redtail, and Redtail had killed Oakheart, then told him of Tigerclaw gossiping with Darkstripe about how Ravenpaw sneaked away and told ShadowClan that ThunderClan's strongest warriors were away and how Tigerclaw posted death threats on Ravenpaw. They take Ravenpaw to live with Barley, and look for Yellowfang afterwards.
- They find her in ShadowClan territory and find out that Yellowfang didn't steal the kits, and she is trying to save them. Then, a patrol from ThunderClan finds them and agrees to help rescue the kits. The cats attack and manage to drive out Brokenstar and his warriors. When they get back, Graypaw is the one who points out that Spottedleaf was not attacked by Yellowfang, but Clawface, and Whitestorm tells Bluestar about Graypaw and Firepaw's courageous fighting and the two are made warriors. Graypaw receives the name Graystripe, and Firepaw becomes Fireheart.
- Graystripe and Fireheart finish their warrior vigils and go to the warriors den to sleep. Later, they attend the Gathering, in which they are extremely proud to attend their first Gathering as warriors. The next morning, Bluestar assigns them the task of finding WindClan and bringing them back. They are able to locate the WindClan camp and pick up their scents. With the WindClan scents on their noses, they follow the trail and find a tunnel and discover that a Thunderpath is right above them.
- The next day, Graystripe and Fireheart follow cats into another tunnel and find the entire Clan sleeping in it. Once WindClan is ready to journey home, Graystripe leads them to the final Thunderpath. Once they cross, Graystripe and Fireheart meet their old friend, Ravenpaw. He and Barley welcome them to stay and hunt for the night. The next morning, Graystripe and Fireheart lead WindClan back to their camp.
- Once they return, Graystripe and Fireheart travel to Fourtrees with Deadfoot and Onewhisker. He and Fireheart plan to take a risky route through RiverClan territory, along the gorge, to get home sooner. Unfortunately, the cats run into a RiverClan patrol. The cats leap into battle, and a ThunderClan patrol comes and assists the four cats. During the battle, Graystripe fights Whiteclaw too close to the cliff, and Whiteclaw falls to his death. Graystripe is later seen to be extremely shaken at the thought of killing an opponent, though many of his Clanmates reassure him.
- Graystripe and Fireheart return to ThunderClan camp and they receive Brackenpaw and Cinderpaw as apprentices. Later, Graystripe is seen saying that his own apprentice, Brackenpaw, was a quick learner and that he enjoyed being a mentor. The day after that, Fireheart's mischievous apprentice, Cinderpaw, runs towards the frozen river to look at it. Then, in between two pieces of ice, Graystripe sees a water vole. He runs out to catch it, but the ice beneath him breaks under his weight and he falls in the river. As he flows downstream, Silverstream, a young RiverClan warrior, rescues him. Graystripe could barely take his eyes off of the beautiful Silverstream, and only starts to feel the effects of the icy water when she leaves, and sees Yellowfang when he returns to camp and must stay in camp because he has a chill.
- All throughout leaf-bare, Graystripe often sneaks out of camp, even though he is sick, and begins to neglect Brackenpaw's training. Curious, Fireheart follows his scent and sees him talking with Silverstream. Later, Fireheart is spotted spying on the two and confronts them. Graystripe says good-bye to Silverstream and starts arguing with Fireheart about his loyalty as the two head back to camp. A short while after, when Bluestar and the rest of the Clan are discussing a border raid on RiverClan, he suggests that the ice might be too dangerous to cross. Tigerclaw confronts him, accompanied by Darkstripe, about being afraid to fight. After the discussion, Graystripe seems embarrassed.
- After all, they try to raid RiverClan. Fireheart requests to be on the patrol, because he wanted to save Graystripe from making a choice. When they get to the river, they decide it's not safe to cross. So they go back to camp. When Fireheart gets back to camp, Graystripe attacks him. Graystripe yowls at Fireheart while he swats his ear, telling him that he knew Fireheart didn't trust him. The fight ends when Bluestar yells at the two best friends.
- When Brokentail and a group of cats still loyal to him, including Clawface, attack the camp, Graystripe pulls Clawface off of Fireheart when he is attacking him, and kills him. Though he is upset for killing a cat, Fireheart comforts him by reminding him of Spottedleaf's murder. Fireheart asks him where Bluestar is and Graystripe tells him she had sent him back to fetch Tigerclaw because they found bones with rogue scent on them. The next day, Fireheart tells him that they should go hunting together. Graystripe doesn't want to hunt with Fireheart, and refuses. The ginger warrior explains that Bluestar sent them hunting. Graystripe growls that he always does whatever Bluestar tells him to, but reluctantly goes hunting with Fireheart. At the end, he catches more than Fireheart.
- Later, Graystripe, along with the other warriors of his Clan, fight against RiverClan and ShadowClan, who were attacking the WindClan camp. Graystipe looks over and sees Silverstream attacking Fireheart.
- Graystripe tells her to stop, and when she does, Fireheart instinctively pins her down, to the horror of his friend, but Fireheart lets her go, and Graystripe goes after the fleeing Silverstream to make sure she wasn't hurt. When he returns to camp, he is criticized by Darkstripe and Tigerclaw, and goes to Fireheart for support. The two friends make up and continue to stay friends even though Graystripe continues to love Silverstream.
- Graystripe and Fireheart visit Ravenpaw after a Gathering to learn more about Redtail's death. They found out that Oakheart wasn't killed by Tigerclaw, he was killed accidentally by a rockfall. It was also said that Redtail had Stonefur pinned down, and Oakheart saved him, saying that no ThunderClan warrior would harm Stonefur. Graystripe later asks Silverstream about this, who doesn't know why Oakheart would protect Stonefur. Though her friend, Mistyfoot, who knows about Graystripe and Silverstream's affair, confirms her father's death, but she can't explain why no ThunderClan warrior should harm her brother. She believes her mother, Graypool, might know. When Silverstream and Mistyfoot bring the elderly she-cat to meet the two ThunderClan cats, she asks Silverstream, Mistyfoot, and Graystripe to leave so she can talk with Fireheart alone.
- A few days later, the river starts to rise. Graystripe insists on seeing Silverstream to make sure she's alright. Fireheart goes with him. As they travel downstream, they find two small kits in the river. They manage to rescue them and are brought to RiverClan camp, and are revealed to be Mistyfoot's two missing kits. Crookedstar thanks them grudgingly, and refuses to accept any more help from ThunderClan, even though their camp is flooded and their fish are poisoned by Twoleg trash. However, thanks to Graypool, Crookedstar allows Graystripe and Fireheart to hunt for them, though it will be a challenge to hide it from their own Clan.
- The next day, while bringing prey to RiverClan, Graystripe receives some news- Silverstream is pregnant with his kits. Graystripe and Silverstream are ecstatic about the news and Fireheart tries to tell them that it could be a bad thing, but both Silverstream and Graystripe are happy, because this would tie them together forever. He and Fireheart head back to ThunderClan, but are caught by Tigerclaw. He takes Graystripe and Fireheart to Bluestar, who punishes them by making them return to apprentice duties until they have learned their lesson to put their Clan first. Longtail teases them about this. Once their punishment is over, Graystripe returns from meeting Silverstream and finds that WindClan and ShadowClan have attacked. However, his apprentice is made a warrior, named Brackenfur.
- The next day, Graystripe meets Silverstream on Sunningrocks. Her kits start to come early and Fireheart goes to fetch Yellowfang. She is out looking for herbs so Cinderpaw comes to help. Once the two kits are born, Silverstream is unable to be saved, and she dies on the RiverClan border due to blood loss. Graystripe is devastated by her death, and while he buries Silverstream, Fireheart and Cinderpaw take his two kits back to ThunderClan, and gives them to Goldenflower so the ginger queen can nurse them. When Fireheart comes back, Graystripe tells him that he buried Silverstream by the river because she would have liked it. Graystripe is thrilled to hear their kits are still alive, though, and is always in the nursery, to the annoyance of the queens.
- RiverClan later demands the kits to be in RiverClan because they would have if Silverstream didn't die. ThunderClan is prepared to fight for them, but to avoid a battle, Graystripe lets RiverClan take them. After Fireheart becomes deputy, he and Fireheart take his kits to Mistyfoot, who is waiting on the RiverClan border. Fireheart says that Graystripe should be with his kits. Graystripe agrees and goes with Mistyfoot to join RiverClan, leaving Fireheart heartbroken that he shall never see his friend again.
- Fireheart starts thinking about what Graystripe would say when Cloudpaw goes away to find food, leaving Fireheart to take the pigeon he caught back to camp. When Fireheart goes to Bluestar about Ashkit and Fernkit's apprentice ceremonies, Bluestar suggests that Graystripe mentors one of the two, forgetting that he left the Clan for his kits, making Fireheart's worry for his odd-tempered leader and former mentor increase.
- On their way to Highstones, Bluestar and Fireheart pass RiverClan and Fireheart gets excited that he might see Graystripe, though he is not spotted by Fireheart or Bluestar.
- Graystripe does not appear at the next Gathering, but Fireheart asks Leopardfur about him. She says that he is getting used to the water and that his kits are very strong and clever.
- Through the whole course of the story, Graystripe does his best to remain loyal to RiverClan, but deep down his loyalties still lie within ThunderClan. When a huge fire rages through ThunderClan's camp, driving them into RiverClan territory, Graystripe is very happy to see Fireheart again. He shows him proudly how well his kits, Featherkit and Stormkit, are doing. Graystripe hints to Bluestar that he would like to return to ThunderClan and help with the repairs, but she fiercely refuses, leaving him disappointed. He is then seen watching his former Clan travel home with a frown on his face.
- Now that he is a warrior of RiverClan, he needs to remain loyal, though he struggles to do so. At the Gathering, Fireheart tells Mistyfoot that he hadn't seen Graystripe, and Mistyfoot tells him that Leopardfur was furious at him for the way he acted after the fire in ThunderClan camp, and that in Graystripe's heart, he will always belong in ThunderClan. Fireheart asks her then how he was doing, and she told him that Graystripe is fine, and so are his kits.
- While Sandstorm and Fireheart were talking, Graystripe teases Fireheart by saying to watch out for Sandstorm or she'll claw his ears off if he's not careful. When Fireheart tells Graystripe that he startled him, Graystripe tells him that he saw him from across the river, and that he never thought he would see Fireheart catch prey for Sandstorm. Then, he asks Fireheart if she's special to him, but Fireheart tells him that they are just friends. Graystripe teases him, saying if you say so, and tells him that he's lucky because Sandstorm is a very impressive cat. Fireheart asks him what's going on in RiverClan, and Graystripe says that every cat is talking about Tigerstar. Fireheart says that maybe since Tigerstar is leader now, maybe he'll act different, but Graystripe says no one can trust him, and asks what the point of the warrior code was when you just ignored it. When Fireheart tells Graystripe about how Runningnose said Tigerstar was a sign from StarClan that he was to be leader of ShadowClan, Graystripe said that he'll believe that Tigerstar was sent from StarClan when hedgehogs flew. Graystripe tells him that if he was Fireheart, he would keep a very careful watch over his borders. Sandstorm greets Graystripe and asks how his kits were doing. He says that they are doing fine, and that they will be apprenticed soon. Fireheart asks him if he'll get to mentor one of them, and Graystripe says that he doesn't know. He says that Leopardstar is still is angry at him for Whiteclaw's death, so she'll probably give them to other warriors. Before he leaves, Graystripe catches a fish for Fireheart because he knows that ThunderClan doesn't have much prey since the fire.
- Later, he warns Fireheart about Leopardstar talking about invading Sunningrocks. Leopardstar is suspicious of him, and feels that he will betray them at some point soon. Soon, Leopardstar demands that ThunderClan repay RiverClan for shelter from the fire by giving up Sunningrocks. Naturally, ThunderClan refuses, and battle ensues. Graystripe finds that he cannot fight against ThunderClan. He warns Fireheart when Leopardstar attacks him. She then tells Graystripe to attack Fireheart or else he will have major consequences to face. Graystripe refuses, and Leopardstar, furious, starts to threaten Graystripe until reinforcements from ThunderClan show up. She takes one look and flees. In fury after the battle, Leopardstar exiles him from RiverClan. Graystripe goes back to ThunderClan, but most of the Clan members do not accept him, much to his dismay.
- Sandstorm, who is angry at Fireheart for not choosing her to mentor Tawnykit, spends a lot of time with Graystripe, and points this out loudly as often as she can. When Fireheart wants to mentor Bramblekit to keep an eye on him, Graystripe says that he was just doing it because he didn't trust the son of Tigerstar.
- At the end of this book, when Bluestar is dying after saving Fireheart from an attack by a dog pack, he keeps Tigerstar at bay, so Fireheart can share tongues with Bluestar one last time. When Bluestar dies, Graystripe stops fighting Tigerstar and goes over to comfort his friend.
- Graystripe scouts the territory to make sure that there is no scent of the dog pack. He tells Fireheart that everything's fine, and there was only broken undergrowth. Fireheart tells Graystripe to go to the Clan and tell them that Bluestar is dead, but nothing else.
- After Firestar returns from the Moonstone, Graystripe tells him he'd understand if he didn't become deputy, since the Clan didn't really trust him that much, and Firestar tells him that he's happy he understands.
- He becomes respected when he attacks Darkstripe when he tries to feed Sorrelkit deathberries. Graystripe claims that he saw Darkstripe feed her deathberries, but Darkstripe said that he had tried to save her from eating them. Darkstripe knew that Firestar would always take Graystripe's side, but Firestar decided to make Sorrelkit say what happened when she recovered. He is one of the cats that has to stand guard for Sorrelkit while she's in Cinderpelt's den. Firestar knew that it was Graystripe who spread the news of Darkstripe through the Clan.
- At the next Gathering, Graystripe came up to Mistyfoot and asked how his kits were doing, and she said Featherpaw was turning into a real fighter.
- Although happy, Graystripe is desperate to get information about his kits, Featherpaw and Stormpaw. He is worried about them now that Tigerstar has taken over RiverClan. Firestar, Ravenpaw, and Graystripe go into RiverClan territory, soon seeing that Tigerstar wanted all half-Clan cats killed. Graystripe is horrified when he learns that his kits, Featherpaw, and Stormpaw, were going to be killed. They witness Stonefur's execution and Graystripe wants to help, but he helps to rescue his kits and Mistyfoot and bring them to ThunderClan camp. Graystripe temporarily mentors Stormpaw while he stays in ThunderClan. He is delighted, but when RiverClan is freed from Tigerstar's clutches, his kits return to RiverClan.
- In the battle with BloodClan, Darkstripe attacks Firestar and tries to kill him, but Graystripe fights Darkstripe off and kills him. After he kills him, he remarks that there is one less traitor in the forest.
- When Whitestorm is killed in battle, shortly before he dies he tells Firestar that StarClan destined Graystripe to be the deputy of ThunderClan. Listening to Whitestorm, Firestar does a quick deputy ceremony and makes Graystripe the new deputy. Graystripe asks him if he's sure Firestar wants him as deputy, and Firestar replies that he couldn't be more sure.
- After the battle, he is seen saying farewell to his kits, and they learn that he is made deputy.
In the New Prophecy Arc
- It is revealed that he knows about the fire and tiger prophecy that Cinderpelt has received when a piece of Twoleg rubbish set alight a dried bracken bush when she was out with Leafpaw collecting some herbs. Even though Firestar is very worried about it, he appears to be okay with the knowledge.
- At the beginning of the book, Graystripe asks Brambleclaw what he was yowling about in his sleep, and that he would scare all the prey from their camp to Fourtrees. He tells all the cats to get a move on in the morning, and that Brackenfur is organizing hunting patrols.
- At Sorrelpaw's warrior ceremony, Graystripe was seen sitting proudly at the base of the Highrock, as if it were his own apprentice becoming a warrior. Firestar was seen quickly talking to Graystripe before starting the ceremony. When the ceremony ended, Firestar went over to sit with Sandstorm and Graystripe beneath the Highrock.
- Brambleclaw overhears Speckletail starting to talk about the story when Graystripe and Firestar had been caught feeding RiverClan.
- Before ThunderClan enters the Gathering, Graystripe and Sandstorm are seen talking to each other. Once the ThunderClan cats enter the clearing at the Gathering, Leafpaw notices Graystripe talking to a bunch of RiverClan cats. She saw two younger warriors pressing their muzzles to Graystripe's, and Mistyfoot comes over to her. When Mistyfoot asks Leafpaw if she's met Feathertail and Stormfur, Graystripe proudly says that they are his kits. Graystripe asks Mistyfoot if there was a problem in RiverClan, and Mistyfoot tells him he'll figure out soon enough. When Leopardstar tells Tallstar that they can drink out of their river, since WindClan has no water, she says that they will discuss it at the next Gathering, and Graystripe says that Leopardstar would find a way for WindClan to pay for the water somehow. When Leopardstar says that RiverClan has allowed a couple of rogue cats into her Clan, Graystripe shoots Mistyfoot a questioning glance, but she just shrugs.
- Firestar and Graystripe were seen talking at the base of the Highrock, with Dustpelt and Squirrelpaw listening.
- When Brambleclaw disagrees with Firestar about patrolling on the ShadowClan border, Graystripe tells him that ShadowClan has been quiet for too many moons, and that it's about time they started to make trouble. Firestar ends up taking Brambleclaw's side, and sends one patrol on the RiverClan border, and another, led by Graystripe, onto ShadowClan's. Graystripe tells them that he'll find more cats to go with him on the ShadowClan border patrol.
- Firestar walks in quick movements after Squirrelpaw becomes free from the bramble bush and rebukes them for being together, his fear of her and Brambleclaw destroying ThunderClan making him stressed. Graystripe then arrives and tells Firestar that they weren't doing any harm.
- His kits, Feathertail and Stormfur, went on a quest to find Midnight at the sund-drown-place. He is not informed of this, as only Leafpaw knows. He is stressed about his kits, wondering where they are.
- He is still seen quite a lot with his good friend, Firestar, and he continues to be ThunderClan's deputy.
- In the epilogue, he is on a patrol when Firestar mentions the bad smell of Twoleg monsters is worse. Cloudtail looks in horror as he spots a huge monster coming off of the Thunderpath. It heads for the forest and smashes down a tree. They all scatter as they watch the monster rampage through their territory.
- Graystripe worries about Feathertail and Stormfur often throughout the book, while Firestar worries the same about Squirrelpaw and Brambleclaw. He provides support for Firestar, as he is going through the same thing.
- At the beginning, Graystripe was one of the cats that Firestar called to his den, and was seen walking out of Firestar's den with Sandstorm, Cinderpelt, and Firestar. When Firestar tells the Clan that his patrol saw a Twoleg monster tearing through the Thunderpath, Mousefur didn't believe it, but Graystripe tells her that he saw it too. He goes on a patrol of Firestar, Cinderpelt, Brackenfur, and Leafpaw. Firestar reminds them that they are only going to talk to ShadowClan, and Graystripe says that when a ShadowClan patrol sees them, they'll tear their fur off. They see torn up ground, trees knocked down, the faint smell of Twolegs and their monsters on the territory just past the Thunderpath. Graystripe tells Firestar that maybe the Twolegs finished what they wanted to do, but Firestar tells him that he wouldn't count on it. They arrive at ShadowClan territory and try to speak with Blackstar. Russetfur accuses them of trespassing and the two group of cats break out into a fight. A few moments of the battle in, Firestar shouts for them to stop.
- While he is hunting, he finds Leafpaw. Graystripe tells her that he can't get Stormfur and Feathertail out of his head, and wishes he knew where they were along with Squirrelpaw and Brambleclaw. He thinks that it has something to do with the Twolegs, since many of them have invaded their territory. Leafpaw asks him if he ever met Sasha, and he told her that he did once, at a Gathering. Then, Leafpaw asks him what Sasha was like, and he told her that she was quiet, and ready to be friendly, but being around a lot of cats spooked her. Finally, Leafpaw asks him if any cat knew who Mothwing's and Hawkfrost's father was, he replies that he assumed it was another rogue.
- When Firestar calls a meeting to discuss WindClan, Firestar sends out a patrol of Graystripe, Sandstorm, Dustpelt, Thornclaw, Ashfur, and Cinderpelt to visit WindClan and talk to Tallstar. ThunderClan and WindClan both argue about WindClan stealing prey from ThunderClan territory. Mudclaw challenges this, and Graystripe attacks him. Firestar stops them, and puts Graystripe down for disobeying orders.
- Graystripe appears in the prologue with Sandstorm, Dustpelt and Firestar. Sandstorm asks Graystripe if he thinks that Leafpaw and Squirrelpaw will know where they've gone, and he reassures her that they'll find them. When Firestar says he should've sent out another patrol, Graystripe asks him if he would risk more cats' lives to find them. Sandstorm whispers to Graystripe that this is the hardest decision he's had to make, and Graystripe says that he had to put the Clan first. When the cats here a roaring sound, Sandstorm asks what the noise was, and Graystripe tells her that something was happening at Fourtrees.
- His son, Stormfur, returns from the sun-drown-place. Stormfur tells Brackenfur that he wants to talk to Graystripe, and at first Brackenfur is suspicious, but Cinderpelt welcomes him in. When they reach Sunningrocks, Stormfur informs Graystripe on Feathertail's death. Graystripe turns to Brambleclaw in grief and anger and then puts the blame on him for taking her away, but Squirrelpaw bravely defends Brambleclaw, saying it wasn't his fault and that StarClan chose Feathertail to go on the journey. Graystripe looks like half of his usual size, and apologizes, and says that it's unfair and that Feathertail was so much like Silverstream.
- He takes a ThunderClan patrol to rescue the ThunderClan cats Brightheart, Cloudtail, and Leafpaw, along with Gorsetail of WindClan, and Mistyfoot of RiverClan. Also among the cats rescued were Cody, a kittypet, and many rogues, including the RiverClan cats Hawkfrost, and Mothwing's mother Sasha. Having rescued all the cats though, Graystripe is not able to get out of the Twoleg monster before the doors close and lock him in, getting him captured and taken away by the Twolegs. When the ThunderClan patrol returns to camp, they explain to Firestar that Graystripe was captured by Twolegs.
- Graystripe does not formally appear in Starlight, but is listed in the allegiances.
- He remains ThunderClan's official deputy as Firestar refuses to appoint another until he has proof that Graystripe is dead.
- Graystripe does not formally appear in Twilight, but is listed in the allegiances.
- He remains ThunderClan's official deputy as Firestar still refuses to appoint another, due to the lack of proof that Graystripe is dead.
- Graystripe does not formally appear in Sunset, but is listed in the allegiances.
- Firestar appoints Brambleclaw deputy as Graystripe's successor, finally admitting that it most is likely that Graystripe is dead. A vigil for him is held.
In the Power of Three Arc
- Graystripe and Millie arrive on the island, where the Clans are having a Gathering. At first, no one recognizes Graystripe, and attack them both, thinking they are rogues. But Firestar stops them with a yowl, suddenly recognizing his long lost friend. When Millie starts to get defensive, Graystripe tells her to calm down. Firestar is shocked, and jumps down from the Great Oak to greet him. Graystripe and Millie look very ragged, dirty, tired, and hungry. Cats from all the Clans swarm him with greetings and questions, but Graystripe seems hurt that Firestar and the rest of the Clan left him. Pain is shown in Firestar's eyes and he says that he had to leave to save the Clan. He then whispers to Graystripe that if it was just himself in danger, he would have waited. Graystripe introduces Millie and says that she came from Twolegplace. Squirrelflight is surprised that a kittypet had traveled with him, and Graystripe says he couldn't have done it without her. Lionpaw and Hollypaw are surprised that the other Clans are so welcoming to Graystripe and Millie because ThunderClan will have two more warriors.
- When Brambleclaw asks if they followed their scent trail, Graystripe said that they found their way themselves. Graystripe tells them all that when they arrived at the old forest, he said that there were no cats, no prey, nothing but Twoleg monsters and torn-up trees. Everyone in the Clans welcome him back. Mistyfoot asks Graystripe how he knew they were there, and Graystripe tells her that it was good to see her again, and that they met a rogue who told them that cats were living by the lake. Then, when they looked at the island, they saw outlines of shapes moving around.
- Firestar immediately brings them back to the camp, and Cinderpaw says that the apprentices couldn't sleep until they heard about the Gathering. Graystripe says that him and Firestar would do the same thing when they were apprentices.
- When Mousefur said that Graystripe couldn't be back, he says that it really was him, and Mousefur wondered how he found his way back. Graystripe announces that Millie is his new mate. Many cats ask Graystripe multiple questions, even cats who he doesn't know, but Graystripe doesn't answer them. It is shown that Millie is nervous because Graystripe keeps pressing his fur close to hers.
- When they get back to camp, Graystripe and Millie eat and rest. It takes a while for them both to regain their strength.
- Meanwhile, Firestar is worried about who's going to be deputy. He didn't know if he should appoint Graystripe the deputy as he once was, or leave Brambleclaw the deputy. After consulting StarClan and Leafpool, Firestar decided to let Brambleclaw remain deputy. Brackenfur wasn't happy about this at first, speaking up for his former mentor. But Graystripe didn't mind not being deputy. He understood that Brambleclaw knew the Clan and territory better, and would make a great deputy.
- He helps Birchfall expand the warriors' den. During the Clan meeting for Millie's warrior name, Graystripe asks anxiously if she plans to leave when she cuts Firestar off. Millie replies that she would never leave and brushes her muzzle against his. She then tells the Clan that she wants to keep the name Millie, and Graystripe is the first to defend her, saying that it doesn't matter what Millie is called, only about how she acts. When Stormfur asks if anyone would not trust Millie or Daisy to fight on ThunderClan's side, Graystripe jumps to their defense, saying no.
- He is also seen dragging brambles to the half-finished den with Millie. Graystripe is seen again, chatting with Millie while weaving the roof of the new den into place. Graystripe tells Hollypaw to watch out, since him and Millie are carrying brambles. They are wrapping brambles around the already-dense tangled bush.
- Graystripe is also seen with a bellyache and Millie is tormenting him about how he ate too much. He defends himself by saying that they hasn't seen that much prey in moons. As Jaypaw is treating him, he thinks that it was strange for a kittypet to lecture a warrior.
- When Poppypaw and Mousepaw return to the camp and say that Hollypaw is missing, Graystripe scrambles to his paws and asks them if they knew how long she was missing, to which Poppypaw replies that Hollypaw never arrived for training. When Brightheart says that Hollypaw might be hurt, Graystripe answers that no one was hurt, but Hollypaw is missing.
- Graystripe's mate, Millie, has moved to the nursery, expecting his kits.
- When Firestar tells Lionpaw he shouldn't go on the border patrol because he's worked so hard, Graystripe offers to go. Graystripe tells Firestar that they'll make sure that the scent markers are fresh and before he gets to say anything else, Berrypaw interrupts him. Firestar says that they'll hold the warrior ceremony immediately, and Graystripe asks him about the border patrol, and Firestar says it can wait until dusk.
- When Mousepaw, Hazelpaw, and Berrypaw are getting ready to be made warriors, Berrypaw is afraid that Firestar would name him 'Berrystumpytail'. Graystripe tells them to be quiet and that the ceremony is about to start.
- He later returns from a hunting patrol, carrying a squirrel and two mice in his jaws.
- When the Tribe cats are caught in ThunderClan territory, he and the rest of his patrol, consisting of Birchfall and Whitewing, take them to the ThunderClan camp. When Whitewing tries to speak, he hisses threateningly at her. After they explain about needing help, Brambleclaw and Squirrelflight offer to go to the mountains with them. When Firestar asks to discuss it with them, he tells Graystripe, Sandstorm, and Leafpool to come listen too.
- Brambleclaw chooses him to serve as current deputy while he is away, saying that he was an obvious choice, since he already knew how to do the deputy duties.
- Brambleclaw tells Cinderpaw that he was going to ask Graystripe to lead the sunset patrol. Graystripe is seen repairing the nursery and asks Millie if she's okay, since she's heavily pregnant with his kits.
- When Thornclaw asks if the Tribe will be able to defend their borders, Squirrelflight says that she taught them how to fight, and Graystripe says knowing how she fights, they probably will be fine.
- Graystripe is on the patrol with Sorreltail, Mousewhisker, and Jaypaw. When Mousewhisker said that maybe having Honeypaw, Poppypaw and Cinderpaw move into the den will stop the old warriors for having the softest moss. Graystipe teases him, saying, that the old warriors needed the soft moss for their poor old ancient bones.
- Graystripe's mate, Millie, has her kits. Before the kits are born, Graystripe sees Jaypaw and growls to him that if there are any problems with the kitting, he wants Millie to be saved, not the kits. Although Graystripe is unaware of it, Jaypaw is pulled into his thoughts and it is shown that Graystripe is remembering the day when Silverstream had her kits and how she died, which shows that he is afraid that Millie's kitting will end badly as they did with Silverstream's kitting which shows what Graystripe means when he talks to Jaypaw.
- However, their kits are born without a problem and they are named Bumblekit, Briarkit, and Blossomkit. Graystripe is overjoyed when he learns that both his mate and kits are alive and well.
- When WindClan attacks, it is said that Graystripe is guarding the nursery and his face is daring any cat to come near. After the attack, Firestar orders Graystripe to stay behind and guard the camp. Graystripe is noticeably relieved that he can stay near Millie and their kits.
- He seems worried when Millie catches whitecough that she will die, thus sending him into another flashback to Silverstream's death.
- Greencough has broken into camp, both Millie and Briarkit catch it. He goes to the medicine den to find Millie, asking her what is going on and that he heard her coughing from the other side of the camp. Leafpool tells Graystripe that Millie and Briarkit both caught greencough, and he asks what he can do to help. She tells him that he can go talk to Daisy because she needs to eat since she's going to feed four kits, and Graystripe says he'll fetch fresh-kill for all of them, and that they would ask him if they needed any more help.
- Hollyleaf sees Graystripe going into Leafpool's den to check on Millie. When Mousefur complains about ThunderClan taking in too many other Clan cats and strays, Graystripe tells the Clan that Tawnypelt, Flamepaw, Tigerpaw, and Dawnpaw are part-ThunderClan and deserve to have a home there.
- It is stated when Millie and Briarkit have serious greencough and are moved to the abandoned Twoleg nest, he is depressed and really misses her, and so do the healthy kits.
- When Jaypaw asks Graystripe who the silver cat who died was, Graystripe tells him that he indeed had loved her and that her name was Silverstream, the mother of Stormfur and Feathertail. Jaypaw tells him that she is still watching over Millie, and Graystripe asked him how he knew that; Jaypaw tells him that he heard it in a vision, and Graystripe says it is like Silverstream to care.
- He panics over Millie, worried that he is going to lose her, just as he had lost Silverstream.
- When Millie is departing with the other sick cats, he has to be restrained from going to her by Hollyleaf and Lionblaze, and he had nearly attacked Lionblaze.
- After they find Ashfur's dead body, Firestar orders Lionblaze, Graystripe, and Dustpelt to go fetch his body.
- Firestar tells his friend that if Millie's time had come, he would send Graystripe's good-byes to her.
- When Firestar calls a meeting, Graystripe is seen coming out of the nursery along with Millie and his kits.
- Later, Firestar takes a patrol to WindClan to ask if they know anything about Ashfur's death, he tells Graystripe to keep an eye on Thornclaw and the others, as they may still continue to plan on attacking WindClan. Graystripe then says that he will stick closer to them closer than their pelts. When Ashfoot tells the ThunderClan patrol that she saw Sol on the border that day that Ashfur was killed, so most of the patrol blamed Sol, but Graystripe tells them that just because Ashfoot spotted Sol doesn't necessarily mean that he killed Ashfur and that they should find out more about what happened that day; Firestar agrees with him.
- Graystripe is chosen as stand-in deputy when Brambleclaw takes a patrol to go after Sol. When Bumblekit gets worried that Sol will come into camp, Millie reassures him that Sol is far away. She asks him if his father would let anything hurt him, and Bumblekit tells her no, he wouldn't and that Graystripe was the best. Jayfeather passes Firestar, Sandstorm, Brackenfur and Graystripe on the way back to his den. When Sandstorm tells Firestar he should warn the patrols not to go to the WindClan border, and Graystripe agrees with her saying that they don't want to find another dead warrior in the stream. He seemed worried about not being able to do a good job, and he repeatedly asks Brambleclaw for help. Firestar tells Graystripe that he'll do fine and that he knows the territory well enough by now.
- Graystripe calls the patrols the next morning, he tells Sandstorm that she'll lead the dawn patrol and bring Squirrelflight and Foxpaw. When Firestar asks about hunting patrols, Graystripe tells him that he'll lead one and bring Sorreltail and Mousewhisker. He whispers to Firestar that if either of them lead a border patrol, the Clan might think something bad is going to happen, and Firestar tells him that was good thinking. He tells Dustpelt that he shall lead another hunting patrol and to bring Cloudtail and Brightheart. When he reminds Dustpelt of what Brambleclaw said about the ShadowClan border, Dustpelt tells him that he knows and that he wasn't born the day before. Brightheart then asks Graystripe if they could take Icepaw with them, since she doesn't go out much because Whitewing is in the nursery, and he says she can. Graystripe tells Icepaw to stop batting a piece of bark around and to go on the hunting patrol with Dustpelt, Cloudtail, and Brightheart.
- His daughter, Briarkit, strays too close to a crack in the sunning area, and nearly gets bitten by an adder. Honeyfern knocked her out of the way, losing her life in the process.
- The whole Clan is tense over Sol; no cat wants to go on a patrol and those on patrol already, come back very quickly. Graystripe advises Firestar to go ahead and judge Sol for the murder of Ashfur.
- When Hollyleaf announces the truth about her parents, Graystripe is just mentioned staring, his yellow eyes blank with shock.
In the Omen of the Stars Arc
- Graystripe is seen complaining about the drought at the Gathering. He is crouched next to Lionblaze, who tells Graystripe that Jayfeather hasn't had any dreams from StarClan about the drought. He later rebukes Lionblaze when he overhears him muttering to himself about Squirrelflight and the lies she told everyone, claiming that her sister Leafpool's kits as her own, and he wondered why Firestar picked her to mentor Rosepetal.
- When Lionblaze feels sorry for RiverClan, Graystripe retorts that everyone is starving, not just RiverClan, however, they are suffering the most as they rely on one type of prey: fish.
- When Jayfeather recalls how Firestar got attacked by a fox on the ShadowClan border, by the dead tree, Graystripe waited with him, Sandstorm and Thornclaw until Jayfeather arrived to attempt to save Firestar's life, but was unsuccessful. He later assisted Firestar back to camp.
- Later, when a small fire breaks out in the camp, the Clan leader tells Jayfeather to get a patrol together and fetch water from the lake, but Graystripe disagrees and quickly tells everyone to kick dust on it.
- When this doesn't work, they are all about to start panicking and Jayfeather moves towards the entrance to obey Firestar's order, Lionblaze and Cloudtail arrive with wet moss and the fire is put out safely.
- When Dovepaw returns from hunting, and Graystripe praises her catch, and touches Millie on the shoulder when she complains about the lack of rain. He also sympathizes with Dovepaw when everyone else accuses her of making up stories about the brown animals blocking the stream between ShadowClan and ThunderClan, kindly saying that all the apprentices played games, he then heads to the warriors' den with Millie.
- When Dovepaw, along with Lionblaze, is chosen to go on the special mission upstream to find out what is blocking the stream, and some ThunderClan cats protest against Firestar's decision, he asks if ThunderClan doesn't trust its leader, which silences the protesters.
- At the beginning of the book, Graystripe is seen trying to fix the holes in the nursery wall. He tells Blossompaw to help instead of playing with the leaves, and Blossompaw apologizes to him. Graystripe tells them that there are more holes in the wall than a rabbit warren, and that he wants all of the holes to be stuffed with leaves before the cold comes.
- When Poppyfrost and her kits come out of the nursery, they race right in front of Graystripe and he tells them to watch out.
- When Ferncloud scents RiverClan, Graystripe was seen dropping onto all four paws, staring curiously.
- He, Thornclaw, Dovepaw, Lionblaze, and Briarpaw patrol the ShadowClan border to check the scent markers.
- Graystripe's daughter, Briarpaw, is severely injured when a beech tree falls on the camp. Lionblaze moves a heavy branch and Graystripe gently pulls Briarpaw out of the tree. She is stuck under it, along with Longtail, an elder. Due to the tree, her backbone was broken, giving her no ability to feel pain in her legs, as well as not being able to use them.
- Ferncloud tries to comfort Graystripe and Millie, telling them that Leafpool is helping Jayfeather. He then is seen comforting his mate, Millie, as she is very distraught over her daughter's injuries.
- Later in the book, he appears to be very proud as his kits earn their warrior names; Bumblestripe, Briarlight, and Blossomfall.
- Graystripe is first seen guarding the entrance of the camp with Hazeltail. Lionblaze asks Graystripe if anything has happened since he was on guard duty, and Graystripe tells him nothing. When Lionblaze mentions prey, Graystripe voices his thoughts on prey and licks his lips.
- When Cinderheart and Lionblaze sneak out of the camp, Graystripe asks them where they are going, and Cinderheart tells him that they can't sleep.
- On the way back to camp, Lionblaze ignores Graystripe and Hazeltail's welcome.
- Graystripe pads past Ivypaw and Dovepaw, towards the warriors' den. He glances towards the sky and points out that the chill is here to stay; prey will be scarce before long. Then, he brushes muzzles with Millie, and tells her that she's warm. Millie tells Graystripe to go get some rest and she'll catch something nice for him when he wakes up.
- In a dream Spottedleaf sends to Jayfeather, Dark Forest cats flood the ThunderClan camp, and Graystripe is seen fighting with a brown-pelted tom. He lunges for Graystripe's neck, and flings Graystripe flailing to his death.
- When Millie says that she has no faith in StarClan, Graystripe asks her if that was what she really thought about StarClan. She tells him that all she sees is her kit, broken and helpless, but Graystripe says that Briarlight's alive and with them.
- He was seen standing alone in the clearing as the snow falls.
- Before the foxes show up, Millie was seen sliding down the slope, right behind her was Graystripe with Brightheart, and their pelts were bristling.
- After the battle with the foxes, Brambleclaw tells Graystripe to go find Firestar's patrol and tell them what happened.
- Graystripe was in the rescue patrol, consisting of Firestar, Birchfall, and Brambleclaw. He sniffs Lionblaze and asks what happened to him. Lionblaze tells them that they chased the fox out of their territory, and Graystripe guides Lionblaze towards the thorn barrier and tells him to go see Jayfeather, and that Cinderheart's been preparing herbs for him. Graystripe nudges Lionblaze and tells him that they'll bring him home.
- Jayfeather hears Brambleclaw ask Graystripe to lead the dawn patrol, along with Birchfall, Brightheart, and Squirrelflight.
- Graystripe is first seen when Purdy is complaining about the prickly moss. Dovewing offers to go through it again, but Graystripe breaks in, telling her that Bumblestripe and Blossomfall would go out and find some feathers. When they protest, he narrows his eyes and rasps that they will continue to do apprentice duties until they learn not to answer back to a senior warrior. Sandstorm gives him a poke, telling him he's always tougher on his own kits than the rest of the Clan.
- Later, when Lionblaze brings Sol to camp, Graystripe growls and pushes himself in front of the crowd to question Sol. He says that every time he steps foot in their territory it means trouble, and Dustpelt, who has come to stand beside him, agrees, and threatens Sol.
- He is part of a patrol that is led by Lionblaze along the WindClan border. When they run into a WindClan patrol that starts to stir up trouble over Sol, Graystripe takes steps forward, and dismisses the fighting. He tells Onestar to remember it's not up to him to decide who stays in ThunderClan, and that he was insulting Firestar. It is noted by Lionblaze that Graystripe didn't like Sol any more than him, although he was sticking up for Sol. When Onestar threatens to force ThunderClan to send Sol away, Graystripe shakes his head, now sad, and began to talk about when they were friends back at the old forest. He says they don't need to be enemies, but Onestar protests, saying his Clan makes it impossible to be anything else.
- When an uprising occurs over Hollyleaf's knowledge of Ashfur's death, he calls out that she must speak for herself. Later, when Jayfeather takes Cinderheart back to the past, he is seen as a much younger version of himself, along with Firestar and Sandstorm. He jokes around with Cinderpelt, Firestar, and Sandstorm before going on a hunting patrol with them, leaving Cinderpelt.
- After Firestar announces Sol's plotting with WindClan, Graystripe meows that they shouldn't have let Sol back, sayings he's treacherous through and through. He is ordered by Brambleclaw to lead an extra border patrol.
- He is chosen to go to the Gathering that full moon. Lionblaze finds himself walking alongside him and Millie. He compliments Millie on her underground fighting, and then goes on to say that every cat probably felt the same about the fighting underground. He also talks about Sol being 'unnatural' like the tunnel fighting. He states that he wants to know Sol's reason for deceiving their Clan, and ShadowClan.
- Graystripe comments that WindClan wouldn't dare to invade them after ThunderClan beat them before. He also praises Berrynose's catch. Firestar comments that he could do with some exercise, and Graystripe protests it's his fur. He then says that a good warrior needs to stay strong, and Lionblaze wonders whether Graystripe is training in the Dark Forest too.
- Graystripe is later part of Foxleap's patrol, who are checking the border after Ivypool tells Foxleap that she saw WindClan near the border to try and get out of meeting with some WindClan Dark Forest trainees. Graystripe threatens the WindClan cats when they come past, asking them if they were accusing ThunderClan of crossing the border.
- He is part of another patrol, when Lionblaze spots them and asks to join. Graystripe is surprised to see him, and asks where he was all night. Lionblaze replies that he was sleeping by the lake. Lionblaze scents some ShadowClan cats as they approach the border, and Graystripe identifies one of them as Ratscar. Ratscar challenges the ThunderClan cats, and Lionblaze looks as if he wants to start a fight. Graystripe calls him back twice, but Lionblaze refuses. He starts a fight with Ratscar, but attempts to lose. Squirrelflight wants to help, but Graystripe holds her back. Graystripe then intervenes, and apologizes to Ratscar for Lionblaze's behavior, before shouting at the warrior.
- Just before the Gathering, Dovewing comments that if Bumblestripe keeps eating like he is, he'll be as fat as Graystripe. Graystripe than appears, asking if there is any good prey left. He tells Bumblestripe to offer a shrew to Mousefur, who declines.
- After Brightheart has kitted, Graystripe says that the safest place for kits is in the heart of the Clan. Firestar comes to see them, and Graystripe tells him that he is softhearted over kits. Firestar then says that the battle is near, but Graystripe denies it, saying that they can't be sure. Firestar then argues that it won't be long, but Graystripe is still suspicious, asking if he had had a sign. Graystripe then talks to Mousefur, reminding her of when she didn't want Firestar in the Clan after she comments on how good a leader he is. He hopes that Bluestar is watching them.
- In the final battle, Brambleclaw assigns Graystripe to defend the hollow, but Firestar then insists that they must fight together. They, and the rest of their patrol, race out of the camp, and start the fight. Graystripe gets a swollen eye during the fighting. Firestar then sends Lionblaze and Graystripe to ShadowClan, where they are being overrun by Dark Forest warriors. Graystripe trips over a bramble on the way, and Lionblaze notices that he looks quite old and frail. Graystripe yells at him for staring. Graystripe orders some ShadowClan cats to collect more herbs and supplies, and then challenges the Dark Forest cats to fight. They do, and the ShadowClan camp is nearly overrun, when the Ancients and Midnight appear. Graystripe calls and reassures the cats that she is an ally. Midnight then says that Half Moon told them to go home, and Blackstar thanks them for their help.
- When StarClan come to help the fight, Graystripe greets Whitestorm warmly, but Whitestorm tells him to fight. Tigerstar challenges Firestar, telling him that when Firestar is dead, he can rule the Clans or destroy them. Graystripe tries to intervene, but Whitestorm stops him, saying that it is Firestar's battle.
- When Firestar is killed, Graystripe grieves heavily, telling him that had he been able to, he would have taken the fallen leader's place. He sees Silverstream when Jayfeather is explaining which cats gave Firestar his nine lives. She tells him that she will be waiting for him, in StarClan. He greets her lovingly, saying that he will be waiting for her as well.
In the Ravenpaw's Path Arc
- Graystripe is seen on a hunting patrol with Cloudtail, Ravenpaw, and Barley. He fights against the rogues when they attack and try to steal their prey. Graystripe notices that one of the rogues seemed to have recognized Barley and he asks Barley if he knew any of them.
- Later, he is part of the patrol that attacks the BloodClan camp in Twolegplace.
- Graystripe is part of the patrol that helps Ravenpaw and Barley get their barn back from the rogues.
- He travels to the farm with Ravenpaw, Barley, Firestar, Cloudtail, Brightheart, Brackenfur, and Bramblepaw. When they reach the farm, Firestar orders Cloudtail to take a hunting patrol out while he, Cloudtail, Graystripe, Ravenpaw, and Barley look around. They see the rogues playing with their prey, scaring the chickens, and taunting the farmer's dogs.
- The next morning he fights the rogues along with the rest of the patrol. Graystripe flees when Firestar tells them to retreat, because there are too many rogues. Graystripe is seen fighting along with the other ThunderClan cats when they attack the rogues for a second time. He later leaves with the rest of the ThunderClan cats once the rogues had left the barn for good.
In the Lost Warrior Arc
- Graystripe is first seen helping save the cats from the Twolegs. When he tries to help Brightheart escape, he gets caught in the back of the truck, while she jumps out. In the first chapter, Graystripe has a flashback of when he and Firestar first met, and when the fire spread throughout ThunderClan camp. Graystripe wakes up to find himself in a Twoleg house. He is determined not to live the life of a kittypet and to find his way back to ThunderClan. He notices that he is starting to get softer and chases butterflies around, when he realizes only kits do that. He ends up getting into a fight with another kittypet named Duke, and loses. Then he meets Millie, who tells him that nobody ever wins a fight against Duke.
- She leads him back to his Twoleg nest. He comments, lose a fight with a kittypet, then get too lost to find my way back here? A few days later, Millie shows him a forest to make him happy. In that forest, Graystripe teaches Millie how to hunt and fight. Eventually, Duke sees them practicing and taunts them.
- This time, it is three on two, as the black and white colored kittypet had brought some of his friends with him this time. While Millie fights off Duke's friends, Graystripe aims for Duke. This time, he wins.
- Graystripe does not think that he is a warrior anymore, until Silverstream appears to him in a dream and tells him to return to ThunderClan. Millie doesn't come to accompany him on his journey at first, but after ten days, she catches up to him. Until then, Graystripe is so lost that he wanders in circles for days, starving and hallucinating. He thinks he saw Firestar, then imagines he heard Sandstorm, Cloudtail, and Bluestar's voices. Millie's eventually gets louder than the rest of them.
- Millie wonders who Silverstream was, so Graystripe explains that she was his first mate, but died giving birth to his kits. He says he would never stop loving Silverstream, but since he met Millie, he isn't lonely anymore. Millie says that if Graystripe needed help, he had her.
- Graystripe and Millie continue in their journey to find ThunderClan.
- In the beginning, Graystripe and Millie are seen climbing up a brick wall and overlooking a huge Thunderpath. Graystripe tells Millie that they have to cross the Thunderpath, and Millie gets scared and asks if there was a second way to cross. Graystripe tells her that he'll help her across the Thunderpath and to just stay with him when they crossed. He asks Millie if she trusted him and she told him that she did. When Graystripe is in the middle of crossing the Thunderpath, he loses Millie, but when he looks she's still standing on the side of the Thunderpath. Millie tells Graystripe that its so loud and it smells so awful, but Graystripe tells her its not safe to stay there so they both cross the Thunderpath together.
- He and Millie are separated in a corn field, after running from a huge combine. Graystripe runs into a barn in search of help to find Millie and enlists the help of cats living in the barn. The cats are Husker, his mate Moss, Moss' brother Splash, and Husker and Moss's kits, Birdy, Pad, Raindrop, and Little Mew. The cats used to live in a house with the Twolegs until new Twolegs came and kicked them out.
- One day Graystripe and Millie see the Twoleg kit who is following a frog. The Twoleg kit is about to fall into a pond and possibly drown because its parents weren't watching her. Graystripe acts as cute as he can and gets the kit to leave the pond and come to him. The Twolegs are very grateful to Graystripe and befriends him. Graystripe then gets the idea to bring them to the barn to see the other cats. He convinces Moss to bring her kits down and she does. Husker comes back and is mad at Graystripe, but calms down when he sees that the Twolegs aren't harming his kits. Having done their job and ready to leave, Graystripe and Millie leave the barn behind.
- Graystripe and Millie find the old ThunderClan camp, which is now deserted. Graystripe is devastated.
- Graystripe sees that ThunderClan's camp has been destroyed, and that only the medicine cats' den made it through. He and Millie sleep in the medicine den.
- Graystripe remarks that now he had lost Silverstream, he feels as if he had lost everything else, as well.
- He and Millie go to the barn on WindClan territory, where they meet Ravenpaw and Barley. They offer to let Millie and Graystripe stay the night, and the next morning, they give him directions to where the Clans went. Ravenpaw and Barley told Graystripe and Millie that they will travel with them as far as Highstones, then go back to their barn.
- Graystripe and Millie go to Mac's Truckstop, where Millie gets food from a Twoleg house, because she's so hungry. She tells Graystripe that he should go in and eat too. When he does, he gets chased out by a Twoleg, and gets no food. Graystripe gets furious at Millie for even letting him go in there, so he storms off, gets hit by a monster, and is wounded.
- The two cats stay at the truck stop while Graystripe heals. During this, Graystripe thinks of ways of how to tell Millie how he feels about her. He also soon becomes jealous of Diesel since he and Millie had become close friends. Graystripe later reveals his feelings to Millie and learns that she feels the same towards him. After he heals, he and Millie ride on a monster to sun-drown-place.
- After, they meet a rogue who tells them that he saw the Clans coming through. They arrive at the Clans' new home, and see the cats on the way to the Gathering. Then, before they go down, Graystripe asks Millie to be his mate, and she accepts. Then, they go to the island, and see the Clans.
- At the very end of the book, Graystripe tells Firestar and the other Clans that there is someone that he wants them to meet, which is Millie.
In the Field Guide Arc
- Rock wonders whether Graystripe had any enemies. He remembers that Graystripe was the first cat to befriend Firestar when he came into the Clan. Rock says that he and Firestar share the same kind of foolish generosity. He also says that Graystripe's life was not all full of heroics, however; he fell in love with a RiverClan cat, Silverstream.
- Rock says that after fathering Silverstream's kits, Stormkit and Featherkit, he chose to take them to live in RiverClan. According to the old cat, this was probably for the best as ThunderClan are not always so welcoming to half-Clan cats.
- Graystripe's choice to stay with his kits tore him apart, as he lost not only his birth Clan, but his best friend, Firestar. However, he later returns to his Clan when he realizes his loyalties lie with ThunderClan still, and not with RiverClan.
- Rock says that now Millie is Graystripe's new mate, and he hopes that Graystripe will never forget how far she traveled with him, and how much she gave up, to bring him home to his Clan.
- On Tallstar's page, Rock says that Graystripe and Firestar risked their lives to bring WindClan back home to the forest.
- Rock says, on Crookedstar's page, that Crookedstar was less welcoming to Graystripe when he crossed the river with Stormfur and Feathertail.
- On Silverstream's page, Rock says that she helped Graystripe out of the river before he could drown, and he fathered her kits. He says that Silverstream will always be a RiverClan cat, while Graystripe was rooted into the forest, as deeply as the oaks.
- He is the narrator of this story, which takes place while Firestar and Sandstorm were away rebuilding SkyClan.
- The other Clans are unnerved about being so deep into ThunderClan territory. In response to that, Graystripe has an idea about driving the foxes out.
- Since foxes are most aggressive when they are in their dens, guarding their kits, the cats agree to attack them while they were focused on hunting or something of that nature. They will use each Clan's strengths to drive them out together and Graystripe would lead them into a battle for their homes.
- Cloudtail leads the patrol consisting of Graystripe, Mousefur, her apprentice Spiderpaw, and Brightheart, who had a keen nose. Graystripe is happy when they see a flash of red fur and sends Mousefur with the dead rabbit since she is faster than him.
- She leads the foxes to the ShadowClan ambush. Then Graystripe joins Mistyfoot and RiverClan and his patrol distracts the four foxes while WindClan attack the dens. The ambush traps the foxes.
- Blackstar and Graystripe order the foxes to leave and never come back and they reatreat. Blackstar congratulates Graystripe, saying Firestar would be proud of him.
- Coming Soon
In the Novellas
- Graystripe does not formally appear in Hollyleaf's Story, but is listed in the allegiances.
- During Mistystar's visit to the ThunderClan camp on her way back to RiverClan from her nine lives ceremony, Graystripe is briefly seen congratulating her on her new position. After his initial congratulations, the other ThunderClan cats start a brief chant of Mistystar's name.
- He has SkyClan blood, because his mother, Willowpelt, and his father, Patchpelt, are both Spottedleaf's siblings.
- In Into the Wild, there is a typo mistakenly calling Graypaw "Grewpaw".
- He is mistakenly called by his warrior name, despite only being an apprentice in Enter the Clans.
- Kate has said on her Twitter that she believes that Graystripe will choose Silverstream over Millie when he goes to StarClan.
- It was mistakenly said that Mistystar had known him since he was an apprentice, despite him not meeting her until he was a warrior.
- In The Ultimate Guide, Graystripe is shown with green eyes.
Please do not edit this gallery
- Silverstream:(formerly) Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Millie: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Feathertail: Deceased, Verified Tribe of Endless Hunting and StarClan member
- Blossomfall: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Briarlight:Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Darkstripe: Deceased, Verified Place of No Stars member
- Longtail: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Sootfur: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Rainwhisker: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Nightkit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Mistkit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Tigerstar: Deceased, No Residence
- Sandstorm: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Bramblestar: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Tawnypelt: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Hawkfrost: Deceased, No Residence
- Mothwing: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Tadpole: Deceased, Residence Unknown
- Leafpool: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Squirrelflight: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Tigerheart: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Flametail: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Dawnpelt: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Lionblaze: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Jayfeather:Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Hollyleaf: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Cinderheart: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Poppyfrost: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Honeyfern: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Lilykit: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Seedkit:Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Cloudstar: Deceased, Verified SkyClan ancestor
- Birdflight: Deceased, Verified SkyClan ancestor
- Gorseclaw: Deceased, Verified SkyClan ancestor
- Spottedpelt: Deceased, Verified SkyClan ancestor
= Gender Unknown
- "I can't think of anything worse than being a kittypet. They're nothing but Twoleg toys! Eating stuff that doesn't look like food, making dirt in a box of gravel, sticking their noses outside only when the Twolegs allow them? That's no life! Out here it's wild, and it's free. We come and go as we please. Until you've tasted a fresh-killed mouse, you haven't lived."
- —Graypaw to Rusty upon their first meeting Into the Wild, pages 15-16
- Graystripe: "Thanks."
- Silverstream: "You idiot! What are you doing on my territory?"
- Fire and Ice, page 129
- Fireheart: "Why don't you come home?"
- Graystripe: "I can't leave my kits. Oh, they are very well cared for in the nursery. They would be safe and happy with RiverClan. But I don't think I could bear to be away from them. They remind me too much of Silverstream."
- Rising Storm, page 170
- Millie: "I can't wait to tell everyone how my brave, tough warrior saved a little Twoleg... by acting cute."
- Graystripe: "Wha-huh? You wouldn't!"
- Warrior's Refuge, page 69
- "We fought and hunted together, and StarClan knows we fell out at times, but I always knew I could trust him."
- —Dustpelt during Graystripe's vigil Sunset, page 253
- "Graystripe is a great and worthy warrior. If the warrior code can't deal with this, then maybe the warrior code needs to change."
- —Silverstream to Crookedstar about Graystripe Crookedstar's Promise, page 497
|Graypaw's Warrior Ceremony|
|Graystripe's Deputy Ceremony|
References and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Revealed in Into the Wild, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 311
- ↑ Revealed in Dawn, page 112
- ↑ Revealed in The Lost Warrior, page 79
- ↑ Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 210
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Revealed in Into the Wild, page 15
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 270
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 297
- ↑ Revealed in The Lost Warrior, page 21
- ↑ Revealed in The Lost Warrior, page 25
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 98
- ↑ Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 201
- ↑ Revealed in The Lost Warrior, page 61
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 257
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Revealed in The Sight, page 193
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 Revealed in Into the Wild, page 13
- ↑ Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 67
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Revealed in Mistystar's Omen, chapter 4
- ↑ Revealed in Midnight, page 43
- ↑ Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 190
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 121
- ↑ Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 40
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 9
- ↑ Revealed in Rising Storm, page 167
- ↑ Revealed in Dawn, page 2
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 72
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 Revealed in Rising Storm, page 264
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 58
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 143
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 106
- ↑ Revealed in Rising Storm, page 166
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 212
- ↑ Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 152
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 14
- ↑ 35.0 35.1 35.2 35.3 35.4 Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 4
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 141
- ↑ Revealed in Code of the Clans, page 109
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's Twitter
- ↑ Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 54
- ↑ Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 16
- ↑ Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 142
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 145
- ↑ 43.0 43.1 Revealed in A Dangerous Path, page 251
- ↑ 44.0 44.1 44.2 Revealed in Eclipse, page 159
- ↑ 45.0 45.1 45.2 Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ 48.0 48.1 48.2 Revealed in Rising Storm, page 120
- ↑ 49.0 49.1 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 8
- ↑ Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 32
- ↑ 51.0 51.1 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 362
- ↑ 52.0 52.1 52.2 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 266
- ↑ 53.0 53.1 Revealed in Rising Storm, pages 19-20
- ↑ 54.0 54.1 Revealed in Moonrise, page 258
- ↑ Revealed in Escape from the Forest, page 2
- ↑ 56.0 56.1 Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 509
- ↑ 57.0 57.1 57.2 Revealed in Dark River, pages 20-21
- ↑ 58.0 58.1 58.2 Revealed in Sunrise, page 251
- ↑ 59.0 59.1 59.2 59.3 Revealed in Sunset, page 27
- ↑ 60.0 60.1 Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, page 146
- ↑ 61.0 61.1 Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 299
- ↑ 62.0 62.1 Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 2
|Major Warriors characters|
|Original Arc||Firestar • Graystripe • Yellowfang • Cinderpelt • Spottedleaf • Sandstorm • Bluestar • Tigerstar|
|New Prophecy Arc||Brambleclaw • Feathertail • Stormfur • Squirrelflight • Crowfeather • Tawnypelt • Leafpool • Hawkfrost • Mothwing|
|Power of Three Arc||Lionblaze • Jayfeather • Hollyleaf|
|Omen of the Stars Arc||Dovewing • Ivypool • Lionblaze • Jayfeather|
|The Lost Warrior Arc||Graystripe • Millie|
|Tigerstar and Sasha Arc||Sasha • Ken • Jean • Pine • Shnuky • Tigerstar|
|Ravenpaw's Path Arc||Ravenpaw • Barley|
|SkyClan and the Stranger Arc||Leafstar • Billystorm • Sol|