|"This will not be the end of the Clans. As long as I have breath in my body, the Clans will be safe."|
|— Jayfeather to Mousefur in The Forgotten Warrior, page 204|
|Age:||Approx. 52 moons (4.3 years)|
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
|Medicine Cat Position|
|Living:||Cats of the Clans, Battles of the Clans, The Ultimate Guide, Leafpool's Wish, The Sight, Dark River, Outcast, Eclipse, Long Shadows, Sunrise, Hollyleaf's Story, The Fourth Apprentice, Fading Echoes, Mistystar's Omen, Night Whispers, Sign of the Moon, The Forgotten Warrior, The Last Hope, Dovewing's Silence, Bramblestar's Storm, The Apprentice's Quest|
Jayfeather is a small, thin, silky, mottled pale gray tabby tom with blind, dazzling, brilliant, clear, pale blue eyes, a short, slender tail, skinny shoulders, strong, lean muscles, and a scar running down one side.
In the Super Edition Arc
- Coming Soon
In the Power of Three Arc
- Jaykit, along with his littermates, Hollykit and Lionkit, are born some time between Sunset and The Sight, and believed to be the kits of Brambleclaw and Squirrelflight. He is constantly being put down because of his small size and blindness. He, Hollykit, and Lionkit dream of leaving the camp to explore the territory before they become apprentices. While playing with a mouse with his littermates, Jaykit accidentally lands on Ferncloud's kits. Ferncloud orders them to play outside, where Jaykit discovered that a wren's belly was alive with maggots.
- When a patrol reports a dead mother fox on their territory, Jaykit and his siblings beg to help and drive the cubs away, but Brambleclaw tells them that they are too young, and that they can guard the camp while the patrols are away. Lionkit convinces his siblings to sneak out, hoping to find the cubs and drive them away on their own. They manage to find the fox cubs quicker than the warriors due to Jaykit's terrific sense of smell, but the cubs are bigger than the kits expected, so they flee back to camp. As Jaykit is running, he falls off the edge of the stone hollow and falls to the floor. He is knocked out from the impact and has a short dream where Spottedleaf appears from StarClan and prods him with her nose, soothing the ache in his limbs. She also gives him a drink of water before he wakes up in Leafpool's den. Leafpool offers him a drink, but he refuses, telling Leafpool about the cat he visited in his dream. Leafpool says that Jaykit would make an excellent medicine cat after making him recite the herbs she used and his description of Spottedleaf, and that he could be her apprentice, but he is appalled by the idea of being surrounded by sick cats and old herbs. He exclaims that he hates being blind, and that he wishes he had never been born.
- Firestar allows Jaykit to train as an apprentice; his mentor is Brightheart, with Longtail assisting her, since both of them know the difficulties of Clan life with impaired eyesight. Jaypaw is furious that Firestar gave him a "useless mentor" just because he is blind, and he often disobeys Brightheart simply based on his stubbornness and anger. His attitude with Brightheart is very short-tempered. The same day Brightheart and he find one of the fox cubs. A patrol quickly arrives and helps them. Jaypaw is embarrassed because he got stuck in brambles during the incident.
- During the night, he dreams of a mountain path in a valley with a stream, sparkling in the moonlight. The next day, Brightheart is nowhere to be found in camp so Jaypaw is expected to stay in camp, however he sneaks out anyway, and wanders onto WindClan territory. He falls from a cliff into the lake, but luckily, a WindClan patrol consisting of Crowfeather, Breezepaw, Whitetail, and Heatherpaw, see him and pull him out. Crowfeather takes him back to camp, and Jaypaw notices tension between Leafpool and Crowfeather, not knowing the history between them.
- Leafpool goes to the Moonpool to speak with StarClan about Graystripe's return to the Clan and his former deputyship. Jaypaw sneaks out of camp and follows her to the Moonpool, entering Leafpool's dream and concealing himself, and watching her speak to StarClan. When Leafpool wakes up, she is furious that Jaypaw followed her. Jaypaw tells Leafpool that he saw her in the dream and describes what StarClan told her. Leafpool is amazed that Jaypaw can enter other cat's dream and see in a dream and thinks it's important and also she asks him how he managed to follow her, but Jaypaw says it isn't a big deal and that he had already dreamed of the path leading to the Moonpool. She tells him he should become a medicine cat, but he refuses.
- As his apprenticeship continues, he realizes that being blind effects the thought of him being able to fight decently. When ShadowClan attacks ThunderClan and Jaypaw tries to take on Owlpaw, he can't see where Owlpaw is attacking from, and he struggles. Lionpaw arrives and helps by calling out where Owlpaw is coming from, and they eventually beat him. Jaypaw then wonders if he can ever be a warrior without someone there to help him.
- That night, Jaypaw, troubled by his blindness, decides to go alone to the Moonpool. There, he dreams that he is in the Dark Forest. Tigerstar and Hawkfrost appear, and tell him that they can teach him to be a great warrior despite his blindness. Jaypaw is briefly tempted, but Spottedleaf appears from StarClan, and takes Jaypaw away from the Dark Forest. She then tells him that he wasn't destined to be a warrior, but a medicine cat. Jaypaw argues with her, but then realizes that she is right. Luckily, his sister had already decided that she would make a better warrior, rather than a medicine cat, for she was far better at the fighting moves than the memory of herbs. After telling Leafpool, he becomes the she-cat's new apprentice.
- Leafpool takes Jaypaw on as her apprentice, even though Jaypaw still seems mad about it. Brightheart was devastated and ignored Jaypaw for some time.
- During a greencough epidemic, he manages to save Poppypaw from death by entering her dream and leading her away from StarClan's hunting grounds. Sorreltail is seen thanking him, and Leafpool tells him that he is learning to be a medicine cat. He is unable to go to the Gathering, as he needs to take care of the cats who are recovering.
- During the special daytime Gathering, he is angry that he can't participate at the games, due to his blindness, and stays at camp. However, he soon receives a vision of dirt pressing on him, suffocating him, and he realizes that he is looking through Lionpaw's eyes. He runs off to find that Breezepaw and Lionpaw had fallen into an old badger den while having a hunting contest. Jaypaw tries to dig them out, but he makes little progress until Crowfeather arrives and helps him pull out the two apprentices. Nightcloud is seen thanking Jaypaw greatly, and later when the Gathering is over, Onestar and Firestar announce that Jaypaw has earned the gratitude of every cat and that he was a hero.
- Jaypaw uses his powers to see into the dream of Firestar, and learns of a prophecy an old cat had made to Firestar, stating, "There will be three, kin of your kin, who hold the power of the stars in their paws." Jaypaw realizes that the three kin of Firestar must be him, Lionpaw and Hollypaw.
- When Jaypaw is chosen to go to his first Gathering, he is more grumpy rather than excited.
- As he is out collecting herbs with Leafpool one day, he finds a stick which has been stripped of bark and has sleek perfect straight markings. He is intrigued by it, but Leafpool doesn't share his curiosity when he shows it to her. Still, he tucks it neatly in the roots of a tree so he can come back and examine it later. In a dream, he follows an ancient cat named Fallen Leaves as he journeys through the tunnels to become a sharpclaw. Fallen Leaves is trapped in the tunnels forever after he drowned inside them.
- When his sister, Hollypaw, goes missing, he dreams that she went to RiverClan to find out what was wrong. He also shares dreams with Cinderpaw, and finds out that she is the reincarnation of Cinderpelt, and that she has no clue that she is. He tries many times to see if she remembers, but is stopped by his mentor, Leafpool. While Cinderpaw is stuck inside the medicine cats' den, he plays with her from time to time though he only says to keep her quiet. He is happy that she was honest about wondering about his blindness. Soon, he is happy to find that being a medicine cat can be more of a job when Firestar sends him and Leafpool to WindClan to find out if they were really going to have a battle.
- Later on, he goes on a mission to WindClan with Leafpool to see if RiverClan had invaded them. He then goes with Hollypaw and Lionpaw to find missing WindClan kits who had wandered in the tunnels: Sedgekit, Thistlekit, and Swallowkit. In the tunnels they meet up with Heatherpaw and Breezepaw who are also looking for the kits; they then join together in a mission to find the kits, who are hiding behind a boulder in one tunnel. They receive help from Fallen Leaves in escaping before the tunnels flood. Then Rock shows Jaypaw the stick he made, with eight new scratches: five long, three short. He realizes they stand for them. He thinks they'll all die, but then Rock scratches out the marks, meaning they'll make it. Everyone survives, and the kits are returned to WindClan while WindClan and ThunderClan are arguing by the border. They lie about finding the kits on the shore near the lake and were making a camp there. The kits play along, thinking that they were just playing.
- Jaypaw is out with Leafpool finding herbs and tries to contact Rock through the stick, but it doesn't work. Jaypaw runs into Hazelpaw and Berrypaw. Berrypaw complains that Jaypaw couldn't see that he was hunting the bird that flew off. Jaypaw replies that he is blind, and cannot see anything. Jaypaw hears Berrypaw talking with Mousepaw and Poppypaw. Berrypaw is expressing concern that Firestar will use his stumpy tail to give him his warrior name. Poppypaw asks if he thinks it will be something like Berrystumpytail. Berrypaw is concerned until Brightheart comes and tells him that when Bluestar named her Lostface, and after Bluestar dies, Firestar changed her name to Brightheart, and that she doesn't think Firestar would give any cat a cruel name. Jaypaw tells Hollypaw that he is worried that Leafpool will use his blindness to give him his medicine cat name. Hollypaw jokes that his name might be something like Jayno-eyes, saying that would be as stupid as Berrystumpytail.
- At Hazelpaw, Mousepaw and Berrypaw's warrior ceremony, he hears Brambleclaw's hiss of annoyance at Berrypaw, now Berrynose's, reaction to his warrior name when Firestar doesn't give him a name that includes something about his tail. Along with Berrynose, Mousepaw becomes Mousewhisker, and Hazelpaw becomes Hazeltail. When Jaypaw goes to the Moonpool, he saw Rock, and when Jaypaw asks Rock where he came from, he tells him the answer would lie in the Mountains.
- At the Moonpool, Leafpool and Jaypaw see Feathertail in StarClan, who was taking prey for the Tribe of Rushing Water. Leafpool comments that there might be some trouble with the tribe. When Talon and Night, two Tribe cats, visit ThunderClan, Jaypaw goes into Brook's thoughts and finds the memory of Stoneteller exiling Stormfur and Brook for leading the Tribe into a battle they lost many cats over, although it wasn't Stormfur's fault. Brook chose to go with him, though, in her own decision. To help the Tribe of Rushing Water from trespassing cats, a patrol goes to the mountains: Brambleclaw, Squirrelflight, Jaypaw and his siblings, Stormfur, Brook, Tawnypelt, Crowfeather and Breezepaw.
- On the way there the old loner Purdy joins them. Jaypaw was worried (and upset) about Hollypaw and Lionpaw when they had left him behind when they went to hunt for fresh-kill in a barn.
- When they reach the Tribe, Jaypaw seems to be the most sensitive about how the Tribe cats felt about the Clan cats changing their lives. Jaypaw also finds out that Stoneteller, the cat who acts as leader and medicine cat, is telling lies about what the Tribe of Endless Hunting is telling him.
- A while later Jaypaw finds out that the Tribe of Endless Hunting actually has given up on the Tribe of Rushing Water and that the Tribe had come from another location. Jaypaw thinks they might be from the lake. He also meets the Tribe of Endless Hunting in a dream.
- Later in the series he finds out that this is true, that the Tribe did, in fact, come from the lake. Jaypaw also learns some new healing herbs from Stoneteller. He discovers that the Tribe received a prophecy not unlike the one Firestar received, "There will be three, kin of your kin, who hold the power of the stars in their paws." He tells Lionpaw and Hollypaw of the prophecy, and they are very shocked.
- When Toadkit gets scratched by some nettles, Jaypaw makes an ointment out of dock leaves, but as he is putting it on, Toadkit sends it flying in to the pool of water in the medicine cat's den. Jaypaw begins to make a new one, and as he is getting some more leaves he trips over Daisy. He then senses that Toadkit is about to grab his tail, maybe thinking that Jaypaw will not see it coming, being blind, but Jaypaw stops him and snaps at him. This causes Toadkit to get a bit frightened and he doesn't bother Jaypaw again. Although when Toadkit leaves he is grateful to Jaypaw and seems to have a new-found respect for him.
- When Rock's stick floats out into the lake, Jaypaw tries to swim out and grab it, but he nearly drowns. Firestar happened to be walking by, and he rescued Jaypaw, and at Jaypaw's request, the stick as well.
- After thinking about the stick that had not sunk to the bottom of the lake, Jaypaw has an idea to get Cinderpaw to swim. This helped her leg because she can move the muscles without needing to put any weight on it. Jaypaw still doesn't like water though, due to his recent experience where he nearly drowned.
- He helps Leafpool with Millie's kitting, which was also his first kitting, and is genuinely happy about the experience.
- He then receives a vision of choking, deep blackness, which isn't remembered by the other cats. When Sol, a traveler, comes to the camp, Leafpool asked him to talk outside of the camp so that not all the cats would know what he had to say, he tells them that the sun will disappear. StarClan had given them no warning about this, though.
- During the battle, Jaypaw tells Leafpool that he's going to get the injured cats back to the camp, and she reluctantly allows him to go into the forest. Jaypaw then helps his fallen Clanmates, and warns Lionpaw that several RiverClan warriors were nearby, ready to attack.
- After the battle, Jaypaw and his siblings chase down Sol because they wanted help with the prophecy, and Jaypaw was sure Sol knew about it. Sol offered to help, but would not join the Clan, so Jaypaw, Lionpaw and Hollypaw said he could stay just outside of ThunderClan territory and they would give him food, in exchange for training their powers. He agrees to this, but on the way back to their camp they were captured by ShadowClan. Jaypaw, Lionpaw and Hollypaw had not crossed the border though, they were taken back to ShadowClan's camp anyway, where Blackstar said that he thought StarClan had given up on the Clans, and they should not have come to the lake at all, which was odd that he was willing to voice his doubts so openly in front of cats of another Clan. Sol seems to think he is right and chooses to stay with ShadowClan and not help with the prophecy.
- He then witnesses his siblings and Cinderpaw gain their warrior names - Hollyleaf, Lionblaze, and Cinderheart.
- Jaypaw continues his training as a medicine cat apprentice. He realizes that Briarkit has the same cough as her mother, Millie. He knew that Hollyleaf and Lionblaze received their warrior names, but he didn't know when Leafpool was going to give him his medicine cat name. Since ShadowClan have lost faith in StarClan, because of Sol; Jaypaw, Hollyleaf, and Lionblaze spy on ShadowClan activity. Jaypaw has a vision of a badger when they are spying and he tells Hollyleaf and Lionblaze that it is not safe to be here, so they go back to camp. Runningnose and Raggedstar ask him to help them persuade ShadowClan to return faith in StarClan. He, Lionblaze, Hollyleaf, Flamepaw, Tigerpaw, and Dawnpaw create a fake sign from StarClan. Then Blackstar and Littlecloud come to see the sign that the cats left. It turns out to be a real sign when Raggedstar and Runningnose appear in front of them.
- In a dream, he enters the tunnels but as he emerges, he gets whisked back in time to become Jay's Wing, a sharpclaw of the Ancients. While in the past, he influences the tribe to leave the lake and travel to the mountains. He also meets Half Moon-a she-cat who was in love with Jay's Wing. Jaypaw realizes that this group of cats would become the Tribe of Rushing Water, and is the one to make the deciding vote on whether to go to the mountains or not.
- When Leafpool sends out Poppyfrost and Jaypaw to look for catmint, they find it all squashed, probably from the fights that have been going on, so they have to find as many new stems as they can. He also receives a message from Brightspirit, who tells him to seek for the wind. He figures out that this means that there is catmint in WindClan, which ThunderClan needs to help several sick cats, including Firestar and Millie. He confirms this in Kestrelpaw's dream in WindClan. After Lionblaze successfully gains the catmint, Leafpool gives Jaypaw his medicine cat name, Jayfeather. He is relieved that Leafpool chose that name, because he is dreading the point Leafpool might have called him Jaywing, as he could never forget the real Jay's Wing. During the ceremony, Jayfeather feels an overwhelming emotion coming from Leafpool.
- When a fire breaks out in camp Ashfur corners Hollyleaf, Lionblaze, and Jayfeather and tries to kill them. In order to save their lives, Squirrelflight admits they are not her kits, and Ashfur lets them go across. When Squirrelflight is admitting that they are not her kits, Jayfeather can't pick out any answers among her scrambled mind when she refuses to tell him and his denmates who their true parents are.
- Jayfeather tries to convince Ashfur not to tell all the cats at the Gathering that Squirrelflight and Brambleclaw are not his parents by trying to scare him in a dream. Ashfur is shaken, but Jayfeather's efforts are wasted. After Ashfur's body is found, Jayfeather is surprised to see Leafpool grooming Ashfur's body with great care, and wonders if they were in love, but he quickly denies it to himself.
- The day that the Sol patrol leaves, Leafpool fusses over Jayfeather after running into the brambles of the medicine den, and he wondered why she cares because he thought that they weren't kin. Jayfeather still investigates who his real parents are while the patrol that is looking for Sol is away. He questioned Mousefur about his birth. When she says that Leafpool gave her the wrong herb once, a strange one with a crisp smell like grass, he gives her samples of different herbs. When he goes back, Mousefur tells him that a herb stuck on his pelt was the herb Leafpool had given her. He then takes a walk with his grandmother, Sandstorm, during which they talk about Sandstorm's concerns about Leafpool thinking that she is acting jumpy and odd. Sandstorm hypothesizes that it may be due to Whitewing's pregnancy in leaf-bare or the death of Ashfur, in which Jayfeather responds saying he thinks that it is a possibility, despite his reservations.
- While the other two were finding Sol, he found out through Mousefur and Longtail, and Littlecloud's help that Leafpool gave herself a special herb called parsley that stops queens from having milk if the kits die; she took it because she gave her kits to Squirrelflight.
- Later on, he found out that Crowfeather was his father by Yellowfang coming to him in a dream and giving him a crow's feather after she told him she could tell him who his father was.
- Hollyleaf had just led Leafpool out of her den when she tried to force her to eat deathberries. Jayfeather tries to talk to her, but she attacked him. Near the end he and his brother, Lionblaze, tried to stop Hollyleaf from leaving the Clans after she announced their secret at the Gathering. She reveals that she killed Ashfur and Jayfeather went in her memories and saw her kill him. She goes to the tunnels and they collapse when she runs inside. Jayfeather cries out her name and tries to go in after her, but Lionblaze stops him, and Jayfeather pictures the tunnels crushing and burying his sister. They decide to make up that Hollyleaf was killed chasing a squirrel for her Clan. He worries that since Hollyleaf vanished that maybe he and Lionblaze weren't part of the prophecy after all, now that there were only two of them. But when Whitewing's kits first came out of the nursery, he figured out that either Dovekit or Ivykit will be the third one in the prophecy, since Whitewing is Cloudtail's daughter and Cloudtail is Firestar's nephew.
In the Omen of the Stars Arc
- In the six moon timeskip between Sunrise and this book, Firestar lost a life from being attacked by a fox; Jayfeather tried to save his leader but was unable, and realized how nervous he was as the only medicine cat since Leafpool was now a warrior.
- On the way back from a Gathering, Jayfeather expresses his opinion to Lionblaze about Leopardstar's demands about the drought and RiverClan's claims to the lake, adding that Leopardstar had lost two of her lives recently.
- Soon, Lionblaze discovers that his apprentice, Dovepaw, is the one from the prophecy, and gets Jayfeather to tell her. After quickly testing her skills, Jayfeather agrees that she is likely the one. Overwhelmed, Dovepaw protests to being special, but Jayfeather tells her that no matter what she thinks, she has to step up and work on her powers so she can fulfill the prophecy and save the Clans.
- He is constantly checking the rocks where the snake bit Honeyfern, even being bothered by Purdy at times to help him out.
- He is troubled once Lionblaze leaves with the patrol to head up stream, hating the fact that they are separated for once, and it wasn't a true prophecy from StarClan. Leafpool gives him her memory when Squirrelflight and Brambleclaw were preparing to leave the Clans to journey to find Midnight and followed them to give them traveling herbs. Jayfeather is angered as he doesn't want her sympathy. He later sympathizes for Ivypaw when he notices her in a bad mood around camp since Dovepaw left her alone and he can completely understand how she feels.
- He checks on Mousefur after Ivypaw accidentally hits her with a pebble. He finds nothing wrong but is forced to stay in the elders den to listen to one of Purdy's stories, but later escapes. He also promises Longtail that he will tell him of any information he finds out about patrol that is out of camp.
- He goes to the lake shore to find the stick and see if the ancient cats could offer him some guidance, but like most times, he's unable to understand their voices. While he is there, he over hears Berrynose sending Poppyfrost back to camp to rest, though Squirrelflight reassures him that it's safe for her to take a walk. He also listens in on a ShadowClan patrol until he hears his own Clan arguing with Breezepelt. He goes to stop the fighting only to be taunted by the WindClan tom. Breezepelt tells them that they are on the WindClan side of the border. Breezepelt also reveals that he blames Leafpool for all the trouble he has been receiving from his Clanmates; he says that if Leafpool hadn't left Crowfeather, and hadn't kept this secret, things would be different. Berrynose offers to attack him in responds for Jayfeather, as he almost had done earlier before the medicine cat appeared. Before he can respond, Ashfoot appears and stops the fighting, but tells Jayfeather to keep his warriors on the right side of the border. Icecloud and Berrynose are angered at how Breezepelt had treated their Clanmate, while Brightheart goes on more quietly that it was wrong, but Jayfeather could sense her shock, but doesn't respond. Suddenly, the ancient cats speak to him, calling him by the name he had when he was with them, Jay's Wing. He is constantly bothered by the incident with Breezepelt afterwards, wishing to talk to Lionblaze.
- He is once again angered by Leafpool watching him, only this time feeling her gazing at him with a look of pride after noticing Dustpelt's back pain and convincing him to take herbs. Later on he speaks with Cinderheart, as she's worried about Poppyfrost. He responds saying that the kits and Poppyfrost are doing fine, only to learn it's really grief that's troubling the she-cat, causing him to feel the loss of Hollyleaf all over again. He reveals he tries his best to never think of the she-cat everyday, but fails. He decides to check in on Poppyfrost, finding that she's trying to get to the Moonpool in her dream. He's unable to stop her and the dream finally vanishes from him. Jayfeather concludes that he will continue to watch her, knowing no herb can cure sadness.
- The next morning, Jayfeather discovers that Poppyfrost isn't anywhere to be found in territory thanks to Daisy and Ferncloud. Jayfeather follows her scent trail out of camp to the Moonpool, but he also scents Breezepelt, as if he were following her. Jayfeather reaches Poppyfrost, and she admits she was trying to get into StarClan somehow to talk to Honeyfern. He tells her how she was nearly in StarClan before, but he brought her back, and that there's no way to visit again without getting hurt or sick. Breezepelt confronts then them, revealing that he has held a hatred against Jayfeather and Lionblaze ever since their true parents were revealed. Jayfeather tells Poppyfrost to run, however Poppyfrost tries to help fight but her belly is too swollen to do anything and retreats to the bushes. Breezepelt gives Jayfeather a long scar down one side. As Jayfeather is about to be killed, Honeyfern comes from StarClan and helps to fight off Breezepelt and the second cat who was with him, which is suspected to be Brokenstar. After the battle, Yellowfang appears and tells Jayfeather that she can't reveal the unknown cat's identity yet, although she knows it. Yellowfang explains to Jayfeather that the forces of the Dark Forest cats are rising, wanting revenge. Yellowfang fears that StarClan will not be able to withstand the darkness of a war that is looming.
- Confused and frustrated, he once again returns to Rock's messaging stick. Rock appears to him, and reveals that he knew Jayfeather's true parents all along. Feeling betrayed, Jayfeather breaks the stick in two. When Lionblaze and Dovepaw, his apprentice, return, Jayfeather explains to Lionblaze what happened with Breezepelt. Lionblaze does not inform Tigerstar and Hawkfrost. Soon, Poppyfrost's kits come, and Jayfeather helps her give birth to a son and daughter. After the kits are born, Jayfeather sees Tigerstar, Hawkfrost and a third cat, which he identifies by scent to be the one who fought him with Breezepelt. Jayfeather and Lionblaze begin to suspect that the boundaries between the dead ancestors and the real world are breaking, because the unknown cat and Honeyfern were able to appear physically - and that there will soon be an all out war between the Dark Forest and StarClan. They share what happened to them on their times away from each other and realize that Tigerheart and Breezepelt were being trained in the Dark Forest against StarClan.
- Jayfeather is mentioned in the prologue by Hawkfrost when Brokenstar mutters harshly about Breezepelt's training, as well as Hawkfrost's. Hawkfrost asks Brokenstar if he should take advice from the cat who failed to kill Jayfeather, in which Brokenstar says that he didn't expect StarClan to fight so hard to save him. Shortly after, Tigerstar tells Breezepelt that Jayfeather, Hollyleaf and Lionblaze should have never been born, though not by name.
- Dovepaw awakens Jayfeather after she senses cats on the lakeshore. After she describes them, he recognizes them as Mistyfoot and Mothwing, feeling their grief for Leopardstar. He tells her that she must not tell of their powers as Firestar doesn't even know that they are the three. During this, he is busy sorting through herbs. He can detect Dovepaw's depression and worry after Rippletail's death as he's sure this is what had awakened her from her sleep. When Dovepaw is worried that he is reading her thoughts, he explains he can feel it off of her and to not worry; Rippletail's destiny was to go to fight the beavers and die, as it was the path that StarClan laid out for him. He finally gets rid of the apprentice by telling her to go do patrols as Brambleclaw would be looking for her.
- Jayfeather is heard by Dovepaw while she is at the lake with a border patrol. She sees him claw furiously at his flank as he lets out a wail of pain. Jayfeather is confused what could have possibly stabbed him in his side, as he didn't see anything. He thinks it could possibly have to do with his powers and he could feel what Mistyfoot was going through as she received her lives. This comforted him and the pain began to ease away.
- He sees a little into Firestar's dream and knows that he had been out at night, hunting with his mate, Sandstorm. He is comfortable with the fact Molekit and Cherrykit don't trip over their words, especially when they constantly tell him to watch what they do. He is glad when Mothwing and Mistystar show up in camp to give their news on Leopardstar's death. By Firestar's orders, he gives the cats strengthening herbs.
- When Dovepaw and Ivypaw go to WindClan, he is asked by Firestar to remain with Lionblaze and Dovepaw after Cinderheart and Ivypaw are dismissed. Firestar begins to tell them about the prophecy about the Three, and Jayfeather cuts in and says that they already knew, and had known since they were apprentices. He is frustrated when Firestar says that he knows no more than they do, since he thought that Firestar would know more. Jayfeather feels hopeless about finding out what their destinies are. Firestar assures him by saying that he will give them his full support.
- Later, Jayfeather and Lionblaze are discussing which cats may join the Dark Forest, and he decides to spy on Flametail at the next visit to the Moonpool. Yellowfang catches him, and when he explains, they venture into the Dark Forest with Spottedleaf. They run into Brokenstar, and Jayfeather goes into Yellowfang's memories. When he exclaims that Brokenstar is her son, she just replies that, mistakes happen. Later, once Brokenstar leaves, Spottedleaf tells Yellowfang to go back to StarClan, where she's loved, and later they see Tigerstar, Shredtail and Snowtuft. He tries to fight Tigerstar, then finally stops and allows Spottedleaf to do the talking. As they leave, he feels sick when he hears Snowtuft yowling.
- When the tree falls on the camp, he tells Rosepetal what herbs he needed her to get from his stores and he begins to treat the cats. When Briarlight is hurt by the falling tree, he goes to ShadowClan to seek help from Littlecloud, after Leafpool suggests it. When Briarlight was in critical state, he hissed at Leafpool, asking whether or not she was going to help. Immediately, she expertly jumps onto the job, and Jayfeather notes that she looks more focused than she has in moons. Later, he admits to Lionblaze that he wishes that she was still a medicine cat, that the Clan needs her more than she knows, and that he won't take on an apprentice until she's died. When he goes to Littlecloud, Squirrelflight is his escort, and they both flare up at each other when she tries to share a story with him about his kithood, and she tells him that his pain is not the hardest to bear. He then decides to follow Littlecloud's advice, and Briarlight appears to recover, though her legs remain nonfunctional. He tries to keep Briarlight positive, but is often pestered by the over-protective Millie.
- He and Lionblaze try to tell Dovepaw about the Dark Forest and to make her spy on cats, but Dovepaw doesn't respond well to that information. She runs off, and he wonders why Hollyleaf couldn't have been the third cat.
- When he first hears about Ivypaw's dream, he begins to mentally go through the herb store, remembering what herbs he would need.
- After the battle with ShadowClan, he is distraught at the mass of injuries, and along with Lionblaze, realizes that the battle never should have happened. The two brothers then wonder whether the Dark Forest had something to do with it.
- Jayfeather thinks that the Dark Forest is rising and he suspects that Ivypaw is being trained by Tigerstar and Hawkfrost. Jayfeather goes to the Place of No Stars to find that his suspicions were right. Ivypaw was being trained by Tigerstar and Hawkfrost. Yellowfang tells Jayfeather that all Clans must stay loyal to their own Clan and not help any others.
- Later, when Ivypaw is taken hostage at the ShadowClan camp for crossing the border, the only way ThunderClan can get her back is to exchange her for catmint. Jayfeather is reluctant because the herb is scarce, but agrees to get the catmint for Ivypaw.
- Briarlight is also not getting better and still has a cough. Millie blames Jayfeather for her suffering. Briarlight thinks that she shouldn't eat the prey that's caught since she can't hunt for her Clan. Jayfeather tells her that she might be able to fool Millie but not him; she needs to be eating to get stronger and to get better. He later gives her a job as his assistant where she would sort through the moss that was brought in by patrols, pluck out all the thorns, and then pile it by the pool, as well as to stack the herbs and sweep out the dust on the den floor.
- Ivypaw finally comes to terms with the evil of the Dark Forest and turns to her sister Dovepaw for help. Jayfeather, Lionblaze, Dovepaw and Ivypaw meet and discuss the situation. Jayfeather wants Ivypaw to remain in the Dark Forest and gain their trust so that they can spy on them. Ivypaw accepts, as she doesn't want the Clans to be destroyed. Later, when Flametail falls through the ice, Jayfeather tries to save his life but an ugly, hairless cat, Rock, tells Jayfeather that it was Flametail's time to die, not his. Jayfeather lets go of Flametail, letting him drown.
- Jayfeather is seen walking to the medicine cat den with Leafpool at his side.
- He also finds a tuft of Hollyleaf's fur in his den, which he assumes was left there from when she was a medicine cat apprentice.
- Jayfeather is at the scene of Icecloud's accident. She had fallen into a tunnel and dislocated her shoulder. Realizing that she fell in the same tunnel that Hollyleaf got trapped in, he takes care of Icecloud and puts her dislocated shoulder back into place. After searching the tunnel again with Lionblaze, they find proof that Hollyleaf may still be alive after finding a snag of black fur against the fallen rocks, but do not discover her body. He returns to camp shortly afterwards due to the start of the rain. When he finds out Icecloud had told Briarlight she was to sleep in the warriors' den, he is quite angered.Then Briarlight talks about how he is wet and muddy and he agrees to let her smooth his fur and he falls asleep and wonders if his mother ever did this, but which mother.
- Rock visits his dreams once more when he returns, telling him his destiny is in the Tribe and Jayfeather agrees to go. When Firestar says Leafpool and Brightheart will fill in his duty while he's away, Jayfeather bristles with anger at the mention of his mother's name, showing that he is still angry with Leafpool for the lies. However, Firestar snaps at him to leave the past behind, so he grudgingly admits her skills will be useful for the job. Jayfeather journeys to the Tribe along with Dovewing, Foxleap, and Squirrelflight to the mountains. Jayfeather did not seem pleased that Squirrelflight had to come with him, but he doesn't try to argue.
- During his visit, he is taken back to the ancient Tribe times. He begins to show more and more affection to Half Moon, at one point falling in love with her, but when he is told by Rock to appoint her the first Stoneteller, he grows pleading with Rock and tells him he wants to stay, grow old with Half Moon, maybe raise kits, live the life of his other Clanmates before he goes back. However, Rock refuses his request, stating that his destiny isn't here with her. Jayfeather becomes furious with this, hissing that he can't make him. After more convincing by Rock and some thinking on his part, he becomes resigned with what he says. He meets up with Half Moon again, and tells her that they can't be together. She is then hurt and angry at this and he attempts to calm her. Soon after, he later does appoint Half Moon as the first Teller of the Pointed Stones, and returns back to his time, sadly saying goodbye to her. He is visited by the Tribe of Endless Hunting, and they tell him to appoint the next Stoneteller who also tell him about a fourth cat in the prophecy. He wakes up and calls a Tribe meeting, where he appoints Crag as the current Stoneteller, sensing Half Moon beside him as he does so. When Jayfeather and his Clanmates leave, he hears Half Moon call, "I will wait for you forever, Jay's Wing!"
- Jayfeather first appears waking up in the medicine cat's den. Briarlight is with him.
- He thinks of her as a problem, and remembers Lionblaze telling him how Briarlight was so frustrated being stuck in the hollow. He remembers the conversation he and Lionblaze had, and how he didn't agree to take her as his apprentice. Briarlight discovers a small tuft of black fur in the herb storage. She asks if Jayfeather could throw it out when he passes the dirtplace, and wonders who would put a bit of fur in the herbs. Jayfeather recognizes it as belonging to Hollyleaf, his sister. Jayfeather then buries the piece of fur deep in the moss of his nest, after Briarlight turns away.
- He notes that the air is hotter than usual for late newleaf. Hearing the murmuring of excited cats gathering for the first patrols, he thinks to himself that he cannot share his Clanmate's excitement, because he feels empty and his head is filled with images of the mountains, and especially Half Moon.
- Yellowfang comes to him in a dream and informs him that ThunderClan needs a second medicine cat, and that Cinderheart needs to know of her past life as Cinderpelt. She also says that Leafpool is forbidden from using her medicine cat skills to help her Clan, which angers Jayfeather, since she is skilled at what she does.
- When Dovewing hears Sorreltail struggling to give birth by the lake, Jayfeather rushes to her side. He sends Dovewing to gather herbs from Briarlight, and he guides her through her birth.
- Finally, Jayfeather breaks down and decides to tell Cinderheart that she is a reincarnated Cinderpelt. He comes to the confused she-cat in her dream and shows her memories from Cinderpelt- medicine cat duties in the old forest, the Great Journey, and getting killed by badgers as Cinderheart is born.
- Jayfeather is wrongly accused by Dawnpelt of murdering Flametail when he fell through the frozen-over lake. When he hears of this, he is first confused, then becomes depressed because all the other Clans think he should step down as medicine cat until he can prove his innocence. The medicine cats, not counting Jayfeather, decide to make Jayfeather step down from his duty. He refuses, and the Gathering almost starts to fight when StarClan sends down a bolt of lightning, followed by heavy rain. Jayfeather gets lost in the confusion until his foster mother, Squirrelflight, lets him lean on her shoulder; her presence comforts him.
- Jayfeather is seen going to the fresh-kill pile to have a mouse by a bramble. He knows that Half-Moon is coming soon and wonders if he should go or stay in camp. Though since Dawnpelt accused Jayfeather for being a murder, he has been order to be stuck in camp by the other Clans. As he thought about the death of Flametail ,the former ShadowClan medicine cat,and how Dawnpelt accused him, he ripped a large piece of skin off the mouse. Briarlight, then, walks toward Jayfeather and he asks if Briarlight would want the rest of the mouse. She refuses and says that she's rather have a vole. Jayfeather senses her exitement when she pulls the vole out of the fresh-kill pile. She then asks if he is hungry and says that he needs to go to the Moonpool. Jayfeather growls reminding her than he has been banned. As Briarlight ate, she tells him if that has ever stopped him. Then Brightheart asks if they stop what. Jayfeather grumbles and Brightheart chips in with more concerns and comments with Briarlight jumping in too. He grows angry and marches across campand into the woods.
- Firestar is seen in front of him knowing that it must be frustrating. Jayfeather snarls and tells him the bad facts about his life and has Firestar frozen. He gets him to have Firestar say that he doesn't think about it and Jayfeather stares and blinks in surprise. Jayfeather begins to think about himself and begins to grow more furious. Firestar reaches in to say that he is one of the Three in the prophecy and his birth was supposed to happen. Then he walks closer to him and asks him if his birth even mattered. Jayfeather is stunned and angered with rage as his leader didn't care if his daughter broke two codes. He added that the other clans would accuse him of murduring Flametail becasue he is Half-Clan, unnatural, and un-blessed from StarClan. Firestar objects saying that he is and is one of the most important cats in any of the Clans. Then they start a full out argument on how important Jayfeather is to the prophecy. He rakes the leaves on the top of the earth with his claws spatting to why he can't think about himself for once.
- Yellowfang blocks his path while he storms out of an argument with Firestar, ThunderClan's leader. She mocks his words and Jayfeather backs away wanting her to leave him alone, but her rotten smelling muzzle follows him anyway. She hisses behind him that he isn't important and only the survival of the Clans matter. He spits back at the older ThunderClan medicine cat.
- He is seen going to RiverClan territory to speak with Mothwing as he believes she could be the fourth cat in the prophecy, yet he doesn't see any signs that it could be her. He is then escorted out of camp with what seems like too many cats for a blind medicine cat in his mind. Soon after Brokenstar, Hawkfrost, and Tigerstar begin to block his path, preventing him from getting back to camp. He swipes at them yet they cut deep into his fur. They disappear eventually and his peers ask if he fell in a thorn bush, which he lies and says yes.
- Mothwing calls him to RiverClan to interpret what she believes to be an omen from StarClan, which is a smoldering reed that has not stopped burning even in rain. He believes it is a sign saying that he needs to find Flametail. Mothwing thanks him and he is escorted out of RiverClan territory.
- He is later seen in StarClan talking to Spottedleaf in hopes to find Flametail since he found an omen relating to him. She tells him that StarClan has for the first time experienced leaf-bare and she cannot take him since StarClan now has borders. She also tells him that StarClan did not send an omen that she knows of. He convinces her to come with him to ShadowClan territory.
- Once they find Flametail, they soon find out that he has bitter feelings towards Jayfeather and ThunderClan. Soon after finding the former medicine cat, Jayfeather begins to sink into mud. He pleads to Flametail for help, but he refuses, still upset about his death. Spottedleaf scolds the younger cat for it, and the two attempt to free Jayfeather. Afterwards, he convinces Flametail to tell the other medicine cats that Jayfeather did not murder him. After doing so, Littlecloud tells him that Flametail fulfilled his destiny even though he had already died.
- Soon, a horrified Ivypool, accompanied by Tigerheart, drags an injured Hollyleaf into camp. Jayfeather is begged to save her but Hollyleaf dies shortly after Jayfeather begins. He says he couldn’t have done anything to save her. When a rustling in the bushes alerts the camp to more cats arriving, Jayfeather sprints to the medicine cat den yowling at Briarlight to get inside, thinking it's more Dark Forest warriors, when actually it's Birchfall, Blossomfall and Mousewhisker warning the Clan of more invaders.
- During the battle he sees and reunites with Half Moon, although the meeting is short lived as the ancient cat needs to join the fray to defend the Clans.
- After the battle, he is present for Firestar's death. He introduces to the Clan each of the cats that gave Firestar his nine lives, excluding Spottedleaf who had lost her life in the battle. He comforts a distraught Dovewing, telling her that Firestar had died for the sake of what mattered most to him, his Clanmates, and that she'd see him again one day.
In the StarClan's Promise Arc
- Coming Soon
In the Field Guide Arc
- The narrator of this guide, Rock, says that Firestar has waited a long time for the birth of these kits. Not in hope, but in dread; what would happen when three kits are born with a power greater than StarClan's?
- Jaypaw is the blind medicine cat apprentice who can see in his dreams and walk in other cat's dreams also. He is destined to be a medicine cat, although he started out training to be a warrior, with his knowledge for herbs and instinct for StarClan's portents. Rock adds that dreams are private, however, and would hate to be disturbed while he was sleeping.
- "Three young cats, with starlight in their eyes and the whisper of an ancient wind in their fur. Just remember this: power is neither good nor bad, but its user makes it so."
- Jayfeather does not make an appearance, but he is noted as being ThunderClan's full-time medicine cat in the ThunderClan facts. Heathertail also mentions that Jayfeather is among the cats in the Clans that knew about the underground tunnels; the other three cats being Breezepelt, Lionblaze and Hollyleaf.
- It is mentioned on Sandstorm's page that when the truth came out about Lionblaze, Hollyleaf and Jayfeather, Sandstorm stood by her kits.
- It is mentioned on Leafpool’s page that Leafpool fell in love with Crowfeather and bore his kits. Since she was a medicine cat and cannot have kits, she gave up her kits to Squirrelflight, who convinced even her mate that they are hers. When her secret was discovered by Hollyleaf who blurted it out at a Gathering, Leafpool was forced to give up her role as a medicine cat and to add to her agony, her kits hated her to lying, especially Jayfeather who become the only medicine cat of ThunderClan. Leafpool never judged and was always proud. Jayfeather soon realised that Leafpool’s skills are too precious to lose and invited her into back to the medicine den.
- He is mentioned twice on Squirrelflight’s page. Squirrelflight was incapable of doing anything but what she believed was right, even taking Leafpool’s kits and making her clanmates believe they were her own. Squirrelflight watched Brambleclaw raise the kits and when the truth came out of their real mother, Brambleclaw couldn’t forgive Squirrelflight for lying to him.
- He appears on Brambleclaw’s page. Brambleclaw’s greatest challenge was becoming father to Jayfeather and his siblings. He relished the challenge as he watched the kits grow into strong, loyal ThunderClan cats. His heart broke when he learned he was not the real father. It is mentioned on Ashfur's page that Ashfur's bitterness to Squirrelflight led to Ashfur threatening to kill Squirrelflight's kits, which made her reveal who their true mother is. Ashfur now has a powerful weapon to use against Squirrelflight, to reveal she lied about Jayfeather, Hollyleaf and Lionblaze.
- He appears on Hollyleaf’s page. Jayfeather had sight in his dreams and the ability to walk in StarClan whenever he likes. Hollyleaf was broken when they found out Squirrelflight is not their mother and when Hollyleaf and her brothers discovered who their real mother and father was, Hollyleaf was overwhelmed by the size of the secret.
- Jayfeather has his own page in The Ultimate Guide. It first says that he shared his littermates curiosity, and it almost let to an adventure with fox cubs that almost took them all to StarClan prematurely. It also says that he was very frustrated when Firestar apprenticed him to Brightheart. He realized it was his destiny to become a medicine cat after a disastrous first battle and a dream visit from Spottedleaf. His connection with StarClan and memory for herbs made him unusually gifted from the start. He still thought it was a second-best future, limited to the territory. He found freedom by walking in other cat's dreams and that in how he learned about the prophecy Firestar had received. It gave him confidence to challenge his warrior ancestors and inteferee with the destiny of the Tribe of Rushing Water. He learned from their ancestors, the Tribe of Endless Hunting, that something dark and terrible loomed for all the clans and chances of survival depended on him and his littermates. After receiving the medicine cat name, Jayfeather, his destiny became entangled with that of the mountain cats. He walked with them as a long ago sharpclaw named Jay's Wing. He fell in love with Half Moon and helped guide the mountain cats to their new home by the lake. Knowing he had to return to his own time, he made Half Moon first ever Teller of the Pointed Stones for the mountain cats. As he left he heard Half Moon calling to him, saying "I will wait for you forever, Jay's Wing!"
- It is mentioned on Cinderheart’s page that Cinderheart tried to ignore dreams of walking in a forest she didn’t recognize but knew and knew faces and herbs until Jayfeather walked with her in their dreams and gently showed they were memories. It is also mentioned on Dovewing’s page that Jayfeather instantly recognized the potential of Dovewing’s powers and told her to pretend what she saw of the beavers were a dream, which is something Firestar would understand.
- He appears on Ivypool’s page. Unknown to Ivypool, Jayfeather followed her into her dreams and discovered her involvement in the Dark Forest. He and Lionblaze saw the potential of recruiting Ivypool as a spy and she agreed. He also appears on Briarlight’s page. Briarlight had a healthy curiosity about Jayfeather’s skills as a medicine cat. When Briarlight broke her spine and believed her future was bleakless, even refusing fresh-kill, only Jayfeather’s stern words reminded her that a Clan cares for all cats, so Briarlight helped Jayfeather by sorting and storing herbs among other things.
- Jayfeather appears in “Bramblestar’s Nine Lives: The Return of The Heroes”.
- Jayfeather tells Brambleclaw that he’ll get used to the coldness of the Moonpool or his nose will go numb. Jayfeather tells Brambleclaw for him to stop wriggling and close his eyes and wait for StarClan to come. When they both fall asleep, Brambleclaw is surprized to see that Jayfeather can see in his dreams.
- Brambleclaw notes that Jayfeather seems to calm, as if being among the spirits was at natural as being among living Clanmates. Brambleclaw feels a flash of pride, and notes he raised him as his own son, and Jayfeather has done well. Later, when he is receiving a life from Goldenflower, he thinks of Jayfeather and his siblings, and notes he would still still give his life in a moment to protect them.
- He is mentioned twice on Runningnose’s and Littlecloud’s page that Littlecloud watched out for Jayfeather on his first independent journeys to the Moonpool. Littlecloud also did not blame Jayfeather for failing to save Flametail. :It is also mentioned on Blackstar’s page that Lionblaze, Hollyleaf and Jaypaw schemed with Tigerpaw and Dawnpaw to create a false message from StarClan. They dug up saplings to fall onto Blackstar and trap him while Jaypaw pretended to be a StarClan cat with a dire warning. He was soon joined by Runningnose and Raggedstar.
- He appears on Flametail’s page. Flamepaw and his siblings were intrigued to see Jaypaw and his siblings. When Jaypaw came up with the idea to make a fake sign from StarClan, Flamepaw and his siblings were keen to help. When Flametail falls under the sheet of ice covering the lake, Jayfeather tries to save him but is nudged away by Rock.
- He is mentioned twice on Crowfeather’s page. Crowfeather was horrified to learn that Jayfeather and his siblings are his kits, and refused to acknowledge them as his own. Later, alone with Leafpool, Crowfeather admitted he regretted nothing, the closest he will ever go to accepting his ThunderClan kits as his own. He is mentioned on Nightcloud’s and Breezepelt’s page. When Breezepelt learned that Jayfeather, Lionblaze and Hollyleaf are Crowfeather’s kits, his horror is not hard to imagine.
- It is mentioned on Heathertail's page that Heatherpaw first met Lionpaw when she and her mentor Crowfeather took Jaypaw back to ThunderClan after a mishap at the edge of the lake. When three WindClan kits went missing, Lionpaw and Heatherpaw guessed they went into the tunnels and went to search with Jaypaw and Hollypaw. Torrential rain flooded underground, washing the cats out into the lake and narrowly escaping with their lives.
- It is mentioned on Stoneteller’s page that he watched gratefully as Jayfeather named Crag as the next Stoneteller. This is also reflected on Crag’s page, and that Jayfeather knew he needed to choose a cat with experience and with great courage and faith in his tribe and was selfless enough to put his tribe first and will work hard for the rest of their life. Crag was that cat.
- Jayfeather appears on Half Moon’s page. She loved Jayfeather, who she knew as Jay’s Wing, and was heart-broken when he didn’t come to the mountains with the rest of the Ancient cats. Unknown to her, Jayfeather was forced to return to his own time through the tunnels by Rock. Half Moon was delighted when Jayfeather returned, but was devastated when he told her destiny is to become a Stoneteller when Half Moon just wants to be his mate and raise his kits. Jayfeather wanted that too, but he knew that fate did not guide their paw steps side by side. Half Moon finally accepted what Jayfeather told her and became Stoneteller. Throughout her life, she remembered Jayfeather’s advice and when he left the mountains for the last time, he heard Half Moon calling to him, telling that she will wait forever.
- He appears on Sol’s page. Sol went to ThunderClan and told Jaypaw and Leafpool that a terrible darkness is coming, this concided with Jaypaw’s own vision of darkness coming to the Dark Forest. Jaypaw’s fake sign from StarClan restored Blackstar’s faith after it was wavered by Sol, and it led to Sol’s banishment.
- He is mentioned on Rock's page. Rock blamed the existence of the three, if Jayfeather, Lionblaze and Dovewing did not come, the prophecy that involved the Dark Forest rising would not have been fulfilled. He is lastly mentioned on Midnight’s page. When Sol had come to the lake and did his best to cause trouble, Jayfeather met Midnight and asked why she told the loner about the Clans.
In The Short Stories and Plays
- Leafpool briefly worries about what will happen once Jayfeather and his siblings are born, but she pushes the thought away.
- Brightspirit, Braveheart, and Shiningheart appear to Jaypaw to tell him to share some of ThunderClan's plentiful prey with the other Clans, who are starving during leaf-bare. Although his brother Lionblaze is skeptical of the idea of helping the enemy Clans, Brightspirit tells Jaypaw to listen to his heart and show mercy to others. He convinces his siblings to help him and they save the other Clans. Later, although Jaypaw doesn't hear, Braveheart says that the apprentice has a difficult path ahead of him, to which Brightspirit replies that she will stay with him every step of the way.
- He is the one to suggest casting the stones to pick who the leader of the four united Clans will be; this is something he got from his experience as Jay's Wing in Long Shadows. Through the vote involving every cat in all the Clans, Firestar is chosen as the leader of all the Clans for that time.
- He also measures the length of the lines on each side of the stick, with the other medicine cats.
In the Novellas
- Coming Soon
- He is with his littermates, Hollyleaf, and Lionblaze, in the ThunderClan camp when the fire spreads through the hollow. Along with his littermates, he witnesses Ashfur's angry threats toward them, and Squirrelflight reveals a secret; that Hollyleaf, Lionblaze, and Jayfeather are not her kits.
- When Hollyleaf runs into the tunnels, she remembers that her littermates know that she killed Ashfur, and believes that it's best for her littermates to believe that she got killed in the rockfall.
- Several moons later, Hollyleaf snuck into ThunderClan territory to see how her Clanmmates were doing and, while hidden, spotted Jayfeather waking up and calling to Briarlight. He offered to get her prey so she won't have to drag herself over more than she had to, but she declined.
- While Mothwing and newly-named Mistystar are visiting the ThunderClan camp, they recount the recent deaths of three RiverClan elders due to starvation. Both Firestar and Jayfeather are listening and are sympathetic. Jayfeather offers Mothwing some of his herbs to replenish the rapidly dwindling RiverClan supply, specifically giving her a generous amount of watermint.
- Afterward, when Mistystar and Mothwing begin traveling again and have reached the edge of the woods, Mistystar asks Mothwing if Jayfeather knows about her disbelief of StarClan. Mothwing nods, and Mistystar continues, asking what he thinks about it. Mothwing says that Jayfeather accepts her because he knows she is a good medicine cat and will do anything to help her Clan.
- Coming Soon
- Jayfeather has the ability to appear in other cats' dreams and read their emotions and memories.
- Jayfeather has been mistakenly called black.
- He has kittypet blood, as his grandfather, Firestar, was born a kittypet.
- He has SkyClan blood, because his great-grandfather, Redtail, is Spottedleaf's brother.
- He is a descendant of Wind, because his father, Crowfeather, is descended from her.
- Jayfeather is the second cat to be referred by the prefix of his name only. Vicky has said that this is a nickname, and it shows Lionblaze's affection for his brother.
- He was born blind due to genetic reasons. This is also confirmed in Leafpool's Wish.
- Leafpool named Jayfeather after his father, Crowfeather.
- He is once mistakenly called Jaypaw before Firestar assigns him his apprentice name.
- Jaykit describes Dustpelt as a dark tabby despite not being able to see him.
- Jayfeather mentions that "every time he saw Leafpool, Squirrelflight, or Brambleclaw, he felt the prick of betrayal", despite being blind and not being able to see any of them.
- Jayfeather is the reincarnation of Jay's Wing.
- Stone Song refers to Jay's Wing as Jayfeather despite not knowing Jayfeather's Clan name.
- The Three did not lose their powers after the events of The Last Hope. However, this is contradicted by the fact the Three are seen without their powers in Bramblestar's Storm. and Dovewing's Silence.
- Vicky has confirmed that when Lionblaze, Jayfeather, and Dovewing die they will be their own selves, not the cats that they were reincarnated from.
- Jaypaw mentions that "Sandstorm fixed Jaypaw with her steady green gaze", despite not being able to see Sandstorm.
- Jayfeather's eyes are shown without pupils in The Ultimate Guide.
Please do not edit this gallery
- Redtail: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Jake: Deceased, Residence Unknown
- Hickorynose: Status Unknown
- Brindleface: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Nutmeg: Status Unknown
- Meadowslip: Status Unknown
- Ashfur: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Two Unnamed Kits: Deceased, Suspected StarClan members
Great Great Uncles:
- Patchpelt: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Unidentified Kits: Status Unknown
- Dustpelt: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Ravenpaw: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
Great Great Aunts:
- Willowpelt: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Spottedleaf: Deceased, No Residence
- Leopardfoot: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Frostfur: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Cloudtail: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Four unnamed kits: Status Unknown
- Spiderleg: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Shrewpaw: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Birchfall: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Hollykit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Larchkit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Foxleap: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Icecloud: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Longtail: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Graystripe: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Sorreltail: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Sootfur: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Rainwhisker: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Darkstripe: Deceased, Verified Place of No Stars member
- Nightkit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Mistkit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Tigerstar: Deceased, No Residence
- Brackenfur: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Cinderpelt: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Brightheart: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Thornclaw: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Whitewing: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Amberpaw: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Dewpaw: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Snowpaw: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Toadstep: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Rosepetal: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Dovewing: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Ivypool: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Stormfur: Living (As of Sign of the Moon)
- Feathertail: Deceased, Verified Tribe of Endless Hunting and StarClan member
- Briarlight: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Blossomfall: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Bumblestripe: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Honeyfern: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Poppyfrost: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Cinderheart: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Molepaw: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Lilyheart: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Seedpaw: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Bramblestar: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Tawnypelt: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Hawkfrost: Deceased, No Residence
- Mothwing: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Tadpole: Deceased, Residence Unknown
- Pine That Clings to Rock: Living (As of Sign of the Moon)
- Lark That Sings at Dawn: Living (As of Sign of the Moon)
- Molewhisker: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Cherryfall: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Flametail: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Tigerheart: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Dawnpelt: Living (As of Bramblestar's Storm)
- Wind: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Gorsestar: Living (As of The Blazing Star)
- Mothflight: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Emberkit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Morning Whisker Deceased, Suspected StarClan member
- Dust Muzzle Living (As of The Blazing Star)
- Cloudstar:  Deceased, Verified SkyClan ancestor
- Birdflight:  Deceased, Verified SkyClan ancestor
- Spottedpelt:  Deceased, Verified SkyClan ancestor
- Gorseclaw:  Deceased, Verified SkyClan ancestor
= Gender Unknown
- Spottedleaf: "Jaypaw, you have power enough to shape the destiny of your entire Clan."
- Jaypaw: "But I want to be a warrior!"
- The Sight, pages 232-233
- "One day we will be so powerful we shall command even StarClan!"
- —Jaypaw's thoughts about the Three The Sight, page 363
- Birchfall: "You're not very sympathetic for a medicine cat."
- Jaypaw: "I'm here to heal you. If you want sympathy, go to the nursery."
- Dark River, page 99
- Rock: "So much is the same...You can't stay here. You know that, don't you?"
- Jayfeather: "Why not?"
- Sign of the Moon, page 242
- Jayfeather: "From this moment on, you will be known as the Teller of the Pointed Stones. Others will come after you, moon upon moon upon moon. Choose them well, train them well, and trust the future of your Tribe to them."
- Half Moon: "Tribe?"
- Sign of the Moon, page 268
- "There are no herbs that can take away memories. You just have to learn to live with them."
- —Jayfeather to Bumblestripe The Forgotten Warrior, page 9
- "You'll never win! You can kill me! But that won't stop me! I´ll find you beyond my death, and I'll stop you!"
- —Jayfeather to Tigerstar The Last Hope, page 79
|Jaykit's Apprentice Ceremony|
|Jaypaw's Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony|
|Jayfeather's Medicine Cat Ceremony|
References and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Revealed in The Sight, allegiances
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Revealed in The Sight, page 5
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Revealed in The Sight, page 91
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 267
- ↑ Revealed in Long Shadows, page 253
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 89
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, pages 244-245
- ↑ Revealed in Sunrise, page 306
- ↑ Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, page 17
- ↑ Revealed in Night Whispers, page 281
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 216
- ↑ Revealed in Leafpool's Wish, chapter 9
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 37
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 4
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 36
- ↑ Revealed in Leafpool's Wish, page 92
- ↑ Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 15
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 328
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 45
- ↑ Revealed in Eclipse, page 248
- ↑ Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 119
- ↑ Revealed in Dark River, page 15
- ↑ Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 292
- ↑ Revealed in Dovewing's Silence, chapter 9
- ↑ Revealed in Outcast, page 215
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 37
- ↑ Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 4
- ↑ Revealed in Sunrise, page 317
- ↑ Revealed in Night Whispers, page 140
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's facebook
- ↑ Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 3
- ↑ Revealed in Leafpool's Wish, chapter 10
- ↑ Revealed in Leafpool's Wish, chapter 11
- ↑ Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 6
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 7
- ↑ Revealed in The Last Hope, page 17
- ↑ Revealed in Sign of the Moon, pages 291-292
- ↑ Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 258
- ↑ Revealed on [ Kate's official blog]
- ↑ Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 19
- ↑ Revealed in Dovewing's Silence, chapter 10
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook Page
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 280
- ↑ Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 39
- ↑ 45.0 45.1 45.2 45.3 Revealed in Sunrise, page 305
- ↑ 46.0 46.1 46.2 Revealed in The Sight, page 118
- ↑ 47.0 47.1 47.2 Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page manga
- ↑ 48.0 48.1 48.2 48.3 Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 509
- ↑ Revealed in a letter
- ↑ Revealed in Starlight, page 131
- ↑ 51.0 51.1 51.2 51.3 51.4 Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ 53.0 53.1 53.2 53.3 Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 208
- ↑ Revealed in the Warriors App
- ↑ 55.0 55.1 55.2 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 362
- ↑ 56.0 56.1 56.2 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 329
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ Revealed on [ Vicky's facebook page]
- ↑ Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 32
- ↑ Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 40
- ↑ Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 111
- ↑ 62.0 62.1 Revealed in Rising Storm, page 41
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 226
- ↑ 64.0 64.1 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 8
- ↑ Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 219
- ↑ Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 191
- ↑ 67.0 67.1 Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 18
- ↑ 68.0 68.1 68.2 Revealed in Midnight, page 12
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ 70.0 70.1 70.2 Revealed in Rising Storm, page 120
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ 72.0 72.1 72.2 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 266
- ↑ 73.0 73.1 Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 95
- ↑ 74.0 74.1 Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 62
- ↑ 75.0 75.1 75.2 Revealed in The Last Hope, page 216
- ↑ 76.0 76.1 Revealed in Outcast, allegiances
- ↑ 77.0 77.1 Revealed in Sunrise, page 371
- ↑ 78.0 78.1 Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 223
- ↑ 79.0 79.1 79.2 Revealed in Eclipse, page 158
- ↑ 80.0 80.1 80.2 80.3 Revealed in Sunset, page 27
- ↑ 81.0 81.1 Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, page 146
- ↑ 82.0 82.1 Revealed in Rising Storm, pages 19-20
- ↑ 83.0 83.1 83.2 Revealed in Return to the Clans, pages 2-3
- ↑ 84.0 84.1 Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 2
- ↑ 85.0 85.1 Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 299
- ↑ 86.0 86.1 86.2 Revealed in Dark River, pages 21-22
- ↑ Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 189
- ↑ Revealed in The First Battle, page 194
- ↑ 89.0 89.1 Revealed in The First Battle, page 139
- ↑ 90.0 90.1 90.2 90.3 Strongly Suggested in Firestar's Quest, pages 496-497