|"We're not all used to living in the open, Wind. But that doesn't matter now. We need to figure out why Midnight has revealed the secrets of the Clans."|
|— Thunder to Wind, River, Shadow, and Midnight in Long Shadows, page 2|
- Below contains in-depth information for the prologue of Long Shadows. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: Prologue (of 28)
- Page Numbers: 1-5
- Midnight, a friendly badger, meets with ancient StarClan cats to discuss the Three cats, and Sol. However, not all is well within the realms of the starry cats. Shadow, Wind, River, and Thunder, the four original Clan leaders, are furious with the badger for betraying their secrets to the rogue cat, who in turn used this to drive ShadowClan away from their warrior ancestors.
- All four leaders act harshly towards Midnight, and blame her for what happened to ShadowClan, including Thunder, who acts calm towards the other ancient leaders. River and Shadow are upset to have to met in StarClan, since the weather is unpleasant, and they are mocked by Wind, who says they're acting like kits, and that it's only a little rain. After their brief introduction, they get down to the real reason they are there, and that is to talk to Midnight and find out why she told Sol the secrets of StarClan.
- Although the elderly badger claims that knowledge isn't only power, and this would only strengthen the Clans, this does not go over well with the ancient cats, especially Wind, who hisses that her warriors are able to meet any challenge thrown at them. Midnight tells Wind that she is not her enemy, and Thunder agrees, saying the secrets are out now, although he's unsure why Midnight told a stranger, and asks why she did it.
- She is unable to answer the ThunderClan leader's question, however, as Rock appears, and the other cats who were there had vanished, their starry forms gone like mist. Rock tells Midnight that he knew the founding leaders would be upset with her for confiding in Sol, but she had no choice, as it was to prepare the Clans for the danger that lies ahead.
References and citations
|Long Shadows chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25 • Chapter 26 • Chapter 27 • Chapter 28|