- Below contains in-depth information for the prologue of Outcast. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: Prologue (of 29)
- Page Numbers: 1-3
- A gray tom, named Crag, accuses a group of cats that they are prey-stealing. Another tom replies that there are no border markings, so the prey belongs to every cat. A she-cat, whose name is revealed to be Night, tells the tom to get out of the territory. She then mutters to Crag that they can't fight them, and Crag replies that he knows. A brown tabby, on Crag's other side, hisses that if the other cats take one more step, he'll rip their fur off. Crag tells the brown tabby, named Talon, that they wanted to get out of the confrontation without fighting.
- More cats appear behind the tom, and Crag tells another cat, Sheer, to go back to the cave and tell them that the invaders had returned. Sheer is reluctant to leave, but Crag tells him to leave immediately. Crag tells the intruders to find somewhere else to hunt. The tabby tom asks who was going to make them, and Talon replies that if they were to stay, they'd see. Both patrols spread out, tense and ready to fight.
- A brown tabby intervenes and introduces himself as Stoneteller. He tells the rogue cats that they are not welcome in Tribe territory. The silver tom replies that territory only belongs to cats if they can fight for it. Stoneteller asks the tom if he remembered how the Tribe had driven out before the time of the frozen water. He adds that they will drive them out again, unless they left. The tom replies that the Tribe had not driven them out, and a brown-and-white she-cat adds that they chose to leave. The tom says that they chose to come back, and that the Tribe wasn't going to stop them.
- Stoneteller tells the group that the Tribe had always made their home in the mountains. He is cut off as the two groups of cats launch into battle. The Tribe of Endless Hunting looks on helplessly as the cats fight.
References and Citations
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25 • Chapter 26 • Chapter 27 • Chapter 28 • Chapter 29|