|"Redtail was a brave warrior. His loyalty to ThunderClan could never be doubted. I always relied on his judgement, for it bore witness to the needs of the Clan, and was never swayed by self-interest or pride. He would have made a fine leader."|
|— Bluestar in Into the Wild, page 44|
|Age:||Approx. 47 moons (3.5 years) at death|
|Cause of Death|
|Cause of Death:||Killed by Tigerclaw|
Spottedleaf, Willowpelt, Leopardfoot
|Living:||Bluestar's Prophecy, Into the Wild, Code of the Clans, Battles of the Clans|
|Dead:||The Darkest Hour, The Last Hope|
In the Super Edition Arc
- Swiftbreeze gives birth to him and his sisters, Spottedkit and Willowkit. Their older siblings are Patchpelt and Leopardfoot. Redkit is seen with his littermates and mother just before the Clan meeting. He is later made an apprentice, with Sparrowpelt given as his mentor. He is trained by Thistleclaw along with his sister, Willowpaw. When Bluefur takes her kits to RiverClan, Stonekit brags that Redpaw has already shown him how to do the hunting crouch.
- Near the end of the story, he is sitting with Bluestar as Redtail, now the deputy of ThunderClan. They watch the apprentices, Dustpaw, Ravenpaw, Graypaw, and his daughter Sandpaw.
In the Original Arc
- Redtail is the ThunderClan deputy under Bluestar's leadership, and the mentor of Dustpaw. During a fight with RiverClan over Sunningrocks, Redtail dies at the claws of Tigerclaw, an ambitious ThunderClan warrior who hopes to become the next deputy of ThunderClan. Tigerclaw lies about Redtail's death, telling the rest of ThunderClan that the RiverClan deputy, Oakheart, had killed Redtail, and that he had killed Oakheart to avenge his fallen Clanmate's death. However, Tigerclaw's apprentice, Ravenpaw, witnessed what actually had happened. Oakheart had been killed by an accidental rockfall while he and Redtail were fighting, and then Tigerclaw killed Redtail since Oakheart was dead.
- Firepaw later discovers the truth in his investigations of Redtail's death. Ravenpaw describes Redtail as very brave, and Bluestar refers to him as a noble cat. Dustpaw is devastated when he hears that his mentor has died. Bluestar then chooses Lionheart as the next deputy of ThunderClan instead of Tigerclaw.
- Redtail appears as one of the cats who gives Firestar his nine lives. With his life he gives Firestar justice, and thanks Firestar for revealing the truth when no one else could, referring to Firestar exposing Tigerclaw's role in his death.
- Later, Redtail is mentioned when Ravenpaw comes out of the barn the he and Barley share. It is said that Ravenpaw was the only cat besides Tigerstar that knew of Redtail's death.
- During the battle against BloodClan, Firestar sees the dark fur and bushy red tail of Redtail, along with all the other StarClan cats that gave him his nine lives.
In the Omen of the Stars Arc
- Redtail appears when Jayfeather is going over the cats who gave Firestar his nine lives, shortly after the leader's death. Jayfeather notes that he gave Firestar courage, though Redtail actually gave him justice.
In the Field Guide Arc
- Redtail briefly appears in one of the stories and is sick with greencough. He is overheard by Longtail speaking with Bluestar about hunting patrols. He orders Longtail and Darkstripe to go hunt, since they weren't sick.
- In "Dustpaw Speaks: Shadows in the Forest", Dustpaw mentions that Redtail was stuck in camp with a bellyache after eating a rotten blackbird, and so he went out training with Tigerclaw instead. Tigerclaw asked if Redtail ever taught Dustpaw how to catch prey in trees, while he was teaching him how to swing from branches. His name is mentioned when Tigerclaw, Dustpaw, Darkstripe and Longtail confuse the attacking ShadowClan patrol with multiple Lightning Strikes. Dustpaw then calls out to Redtail, to fool the ShadowClan patrol into thinking that there are more cats fighting them.
- He has SkyClan blood, because he and his sisters, Spottedleaf and Willowpelt, are SkyClan descendants.
- It is odd to note that Redtail fathered Sandstorm, as male tortoiseshells typically cannot father kits because they are commonly born sterile.
- He has been mistakenly described with a russet pelt.
- In The Last Hope, it is said that he gave Firestar a life of courage, when he really gave him a life of justice, and Lionheart gave him courage.
Please do not edit this gallery
- Leopardfoot: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Willowpelt: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Spottedleaf: Deceased, No Residence
- Longtail: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Graystripe: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Darkstripe: Deceased, Verified Place of No Stars member
- Rainwhisker: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Sootfur: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Tigerstar: Deceased, No Residence
- Mistkit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Nightkit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Sorreltail: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Stormfur: Living (As of Sign of the Moon)
- Bumblestripe: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Bramblestar: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Hawkfrost: Deceased, No Residence
- Tadpole: Deceased, Residence Unknown
- Molepaw: Deceased, Suspected StarClan member
- Feathertail: Deceased, Verified Tribe of Endless Hunting and StarClan member
- Blossomfall: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Briarlight: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Tawnypelt: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Mothwing: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Cinderheart: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Honeyfern: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Poppyfrost: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Seedkit: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Lilykit: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Pine That Clings to Rock: Living (As of Sign of the Moon)
- Tigerheart: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Flametail: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Molepaw: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Lark That Sings at Dawn: Living (As of Sign of the Moon)
- Dawnpelt: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Cherrypaw: Living (As of The Last Hope)
- Unnamed kits: Status Unknown
= Gender Unknown
- "Redtail was her deputy for many, many, moons. She won't want to let him go too quickly. He was one of the best warriors. Not as big and powerful as Tigerclaw or Lionheart, but quick and clever."
- —Graypaw about Redtail Into the Wild, page 45
- "With this life I give you justice. Use it well as you judge the actions of others."
- —Redtail to Fireheart The Darkest Hour, page 48
- "Thank you. You revealed the truth when no other cat could."
- —Redtail thanking Fireheart for revealing Tigerstar's actions The Darkest Hour, page 48
References and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Revealed in an unknown book, page 362
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 40
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 241
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 48
- ↑ Revealed in an unknown book, page 364
- ↑ Revealed in an unknown book, page 403
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Revealed in an unknown book, page 504
- ↑ Revealed in an unknown book, page 423
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 44
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 51
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Revealed in Into the Wild, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 2
- ↑ Revealed in an unknown book, page 39
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 14.4 Revealed in an unknown book
- ↑ Explained on Wikipedia
- ↑ Revealed in an unknown book, pages 328-329
- ↑ Revealed in an unknown book, page 329
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Revealed in an unknown book, page 8
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 Revealed in Rising Storm, page 120
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 24.2 Revealed in an unknown book, page 266
- ↑ Revealed in an unknown book, page 100
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 223
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 27.2 Revealed in Starlight, page 158
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 Revealed in Rising Storm, pages 19-20
- ↑ 29.0 29.1 29.2 Revealed in an unknown book, pages 2-3
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 30.2 30.3 Revealed in Sunset, page 27
- ↑ 31.0 31.1 Revealed in an unknown book, page 146
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 Revealed in an unknown book, page 2
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 33.2 Revealed in Moonrise, pages 20-21
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 Revealed in an unknown book, page 299
- ↑ 35.0 35.1 Revealed in an unknown book, page 509
- ↑ 36.0 36.1 36.2 Revealed in Sunset, page 305
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's official blog