- Below contains in-depth information for chapter three of Rising Storm. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: 3 (of 30)
- Page Numbers: 36-45
- As Fireheart runs through the fern tunnel, he asks Thornpaw if Cloudpaw was back from hunting yet. When he replies that Cloudpaw hadn't come back, Fireheart tells him to feed the elders and walks away, irritated at Cloudpaw. He pushes into Bluestar's den and tells her his decision for Dustpelt and Darkstripe as mentors. She turns and flatly agrees. When he asks if she wants to see them after they come back from patrol, she questions why all the warriors were out of camp. Fireheart attempts to reassure her, but she snaps that she isn't a frightened kit. Bluestar then orders that three warriors must be in camp at all times. Fireheart reluctantly agrees and tells her he will send Dustpelt and Darkstripe to see her when they come back from patrol.
- Fireheart licks his tail fur outside of Bluestar's den and debates whether to go after Cloudpaw or not, but is interrupted by a patrol coming back to camp. They tell him there was no signs of the other Clans, but they did smell Cloudpaw near the Twolegplace. He sends Darkstripe and Dustpelt to Bluestar's den and is about to go after Cloudpaw when he sees Runningwind taking Thornpaw out hunting. He regretfully settles down and waits for the other patrols to come back. When they all return, the sun is sinking below the trees, but there is still no sign of Cloudpaw.
- Bluestar yowls from Highrock, calling the Clan together to name the two new apprentices. Fireheart takes his place below Highrock, and Darkstripe and Dustpelt sit at the front of the crowd. She summons Fernkit and Ashkit and gives them Darkstripe and Dustpelt as mentors. The Clan congratulates the new apprentices and Fireheart is about to join them when he spots Cloudpaw slipping into camp. He runs over to his apprentice and asks where he had been. Cloudpaw drops a vole and says he had been hunting. When Fireheart notes that his pigeon was still out in the woods, he tells Cloudpaw he won't eat that night as punishment.
- Whitestorm comes up behind Fireheart and comforts him, saying Cloudpaw will learn. He then changes the subject to the next day's patrols, which Fireheart had forgotten about. Fireheart decides to lead the patrol the next morning and sends Whitestorm to tell Longtail and Mousefur. As he watches Whitestorm pad toward the fresh-kill pile and thinks about following him, he sees Cloudpaw pick a mouse out of the pile, only to bump into Whitestorm and be scolded. Embarrassed, Fireheart turns away to see Bluestar picking at a thrush. She leaves it half eaten and walks to her den.
- Thornpaw is mistakenly described as ginger.
|Ashkit's Apprentice Ceremony|
|Fernkit's Apprentice Ceremony|
References and Citations
|Rising Storm chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25 • Chapter 26 • Chapter 27 • Chapter 28 • Chapter 29 • Chapter 30|