|"Nothing can stand against the force of water, just as nothing can defeat RiverClan warriors when we rise up together. But when trouble comes, RiverClan knows how to weave through the dangers, adapting to the changed world, just as the river flows around rocks and over waterfalls. We are grace. We are power. We are RiverClan."|
|— Leopardstar on RiverClan in Secrets of the Clans, page 40|
|In the Forest|
At the Lake
Borders and Camps
Current Leader: Mistystar
Births and Deaths
List of All Cats
RiverClan is a group of cats that live in a part of the forest that is primarily wetland, or shores of lakes/rivers/streams. The founding leader, Riverstar, got his name due to the river saving his life, so by extension the name was thought to be given to the Clan.
RiverClan is one of the five major Clans, and consider StarClan to be their warrior ancestors. They used to live on the reedy, pebbly plain near a river with very few trees, but now live in in a patch of land surrounded by two streams. RiverClan cats are known for their amazing skill at fishing and love for water. They also love beautiful things, and are known to collect rocks, shells, and feathers to decorate their dens. They eat mainly fish, but they can also eat water voles, shrews, and mice. They are contented, sleek, well-fed cats with well-groomed fur. They are known to be clever and graceful but are perceived outside their Clan as being stubborn and lazy. Their long fur and glossy coats are an asset while swimming. RiverClan gets by in leaf-bare, because according to other Clans, they fatten themselves on fish during greenleaf in preparation for leaf-bare. RiverClan cats dislike adding birds to their fresh-kill pile. Sometimes other Clan cats call them "fish-faces", or "fish-breath". They are quite strong swimmers and move through the water as if they are part of it. Their lightning reflexes help them scoop fish from the bank. RiverClan cats often go well-fed, even during leaf-bare, and their sleek and handsome pelts are often something Twolegs are attracted to. Many Twolegs see this, and often take these cats to live in their homes, although RiverClan keeps quiet about it, as many of those cats do not come back.
- Camp - A well-drained island surrounded by the river and reeds. The other Clans' fear of water means this camp has never been attacked.
- The Gorge - A deep gorge cut by the river in the terrain, border with WindClan. Apprentices are forbidden to go near it.
- The River - A source of food and protection to the Clan. Sometimes, it is peaceful while other times, it floods.
- Twoleg Bridge - A bridge built by Twolegs that allows the cats to go to Fourtrees when the river is high.
- Beech copse - A training area for apprentices and warriors.
The whole camp is surrounded by reeds. In the central area, the cats lie and share tongues in the sun. In the tangle of one of the reeds, there is the warrior's den. It is also right next to the nursery. On the roof of the den, cats have woven in sparkling rocks and shells from the river. The light dances on these, making beautiful reflections. The river comes up very close to the nursery. That's why the walls are built very thickly to prevent the nursery from floating away in a flood. The nursery is also close to the river so the kits can practice getting wet and sometimes swimming. This helps them when they become apprentices. Across the central clearing, the elder's den, leader's den, apprentice's den, and the medicine's den dwell. They are all in a tangle of reeds covered by a hard reedy roof.
The Lake territory for RiverClan does not have any name by Twolegs. However, the Twoleg names for the borders are Littlepine Road, Littlepine Sailing Center, and Whitechurch Road. The territory includes the River Alba. Landmarks here include:
- Camp - Like the other camp, this camp is tucked away on a piece of land surrounded by two streams, making it well-defended.
- Greenleaf Twolegplace - During greenleaf, Twolegs come here to swim noisily.
- Halfbridge - A peculiar bridge that ends halfway in the water. Twoleg boats are anchored to it.
- Lake Shore - RiverClan owns the south to western part of the lake shore.
The camp is full of lush trees and streams full of fish. There is a main stream that joins a smaller one, and on that triangle of land, RiverClan's camp resides. In the camp, there is a nest of brambles which is where the nursery is. It is strongly reinforced. In other thickets are the elder's and leader's den. The medicine's den is behind a thorn bush and overhangs the stream. The earth was washed away, leaving a pool in the roots and a hole in the bank. This is essential for the medicine cat who can store their supplies and get fresh water any time. There aren't as many shiny things as the old camp, but Twolegs often leave behind shiny things that the cats can use to decorate their nests. However, they have to be careful, as not all Twoleg things are safe for them.
In the Super Edition Arc
- Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
- The prologue begins in a storm that is flooding and destroying the RiverClan camp. During the flood, the loss of a cat occurred: Duskwater, a RiverClan elder that was not found and suspected to be dead. Rainflower begins kitting, and gives birth to Stormkit and Oakkit. It is said by the medicine cat of RiverClan that kits born on such a stormy night will be powerful one day. After this, the camp is being rebuilt due to the flood. Stormkit helps the others rebuild the camp, but he is so small he can only fit a couple reeds in his mouth.
- Later, ThunderClan invades Sunningrocks, but RiverClan does not fight back because Brambleberry does not have enough herbs to treat the injured cats, so Hailstar decides to let ThunderClan have it for a day, and sends a patrol to tell ThunderClan cats that RiverClan will not fight for it that day, but they will eventually.
- Stormkit and Oakkit go out to explore and play. Oakkit complains that he is the oldest while they were playing, and that he should be the leader, but Stormkit leads, anyways, because always imagined himself to be leader first. The two brothers get all the way to the stepping-stones, where they see a mysterious tom. They think he's a loner, and they go across the stepping-stones to chase him off, though that was ThunderClan territory. The old gray cat turns out to be Goosefeather, ThunderClan's medicine cat. Goosefeather gets angry when the kits tell him he's on their territory, and chases the kits off. Stormkit loses balance while at stepping-stones and trips, his face slamming into a stone. He nearly drowns in the river. He is then saved by Mudfur. As Stormkit was being carried, he tastes blood in his mouth, and there was a throbbing pain all over his face. When he recovers from shock and infection a moon later, he sees his reflection in a puddle, and sees his broken jaw that scars him for life.
- When Rainflower informs Shellheart she is going to have Stormkit's name changed to Crookedkit, Shellheart is furious at her cruelty and tells Rainflower that if she is going to go ahead with the naming ceremony, they are no longer mates. Stormkit overhears this and bursts between them and tells them not to fight over him. However, Shellheart's discussion with her did nothing in the end - Stormkit's name is changed to Crookedkit anyways.
- Crookedkit ends up living and learning with Fleck, a barn cat, and his littermate, Mitzi, with her four kits Mist, Magpie, Soot, and Piper. Soon, though he misses RiverClan and he says he will miss his barn friends, he tells them he has to return to his Clan. He is later found by one of his Clanmates and taken back to camp. A lot of cats crowd him and ask him questions while the other cats ask him about his loyalty. He says that he is RiverClan and nothing else. Then Hailstar tells him that he will have to prove his loyalty to the Clan.
- The next day, Crookedpaw finds Reedfeather, the WindClan deputy, crossing their territory, and asks for an escort to the RiverClan camp, to talk to Hailstar. When he comes to the camp, he says he has come for his kits, in which Fallowtail is the mother. Fallowtail gives up Willowkit and Graykit to the WindClan warrior, desperate to keep the peace.
- Crookedpaw fights for Sunningrocks against Bluepaw and Snowpaw, and ThunderClan wins. When they return to camp a lot of cats have deep wounds, but Hailstar has the most severe wounds of all. Brambleberry and the leader's mate, Echomist try to clean up the blood and protect the wounds, but regardless, Hailstar loses his eighth life, now down to his last life. RiverClan launches a raid on WindClan to steal back Fallowtail's kits. They succeed, and a moon later Graykit and Willowkit become apprentices. Brightsky is Graypaw's mentor and Owlfur is Willowpaw's.
- Hailstar declares that RiverClan will snatch Sunningrocks back from ThunderClan. He brings only a handful of warriors, and during the organizing of the patrol, he also makes Crookedjaw a new warrior. They meet a ThunderClan patrol, who challenge them to fight. Mudfur challenges Adderfang to duel with him alone. Mudfur wins, and Sunningrocks now belongs to RiverClan due to Mudfur being victorious. After they return to camp Mudfur declares that he would like to switch to being a medicine cat, as he wanted to save lives, not destroy them. Crookedjaw realizes he was still mourning for the loss of his mate, Brightsky, and three of their kits. Shellheart announces that he, too, would like to retire. After a long while of consideration and discussing with his senior warriors, Hailstar still hadn't chosen the new deputy. He comes back and spots the squirrel that Crookedjaw has caught on the fresh-kill pile. He notices it has a crooked jaw, and declares Crookedjaw deputy, believing it to be an omen from StarClan.
- Crookedjaw is only deputy for a short while becoming leader after Hailstar is killed in a rat attack. He exchanges doubts with Brambleberry about whether StarClan would accept him, due to his relationship with Mapleshade, a Dark Forest cat training him in his dreams. However, these doubts prove unfounded and he receives his nine lives.
- Soon, Willowbreeze confesses that she is expecting Crookedstar's kits. The pregnancy seems to go well until Willowbreeze develops a lingering cough. She delivers the kits, but within a day the cough grows worse, also spreading to two of the three kits. Brambleberry realizes that Willowbreeze and the kits have greencough, and are dying. Crookedstar goes to them and names the three kits with her (Minnowkit, Willowkit, and Silverkit), and spends one last night with Willowbreeze, who begs him to take care of their daughters. When he wakes up, Willowbreeze is dead. They take her body, and Silverkit, who is not sick, out of the nest. Crookedstar does not leave to mourn, instead staying with Minnowkit and Willowkit, who also soon die.
- Crookedstar is overcome by grief, and intentionally visits the Dark Forest to confront Mapleshade. She reveals that she was a ThunderClan cat who fell in love with a RiverClan cat, and lost her kits when she tried to cross the river. Her mate cast her out and took another, this one RiverClan, who was Shellheart's grandmother. Crookedstar gets beyond his grief, and tries to be a good leader to his Clan. However, he has been neglecting his only surviving kit, Silverkit, afraid of growing too close to her, for fear of losing her. Oakheart confronts him, and Crookedstar finally acknowledges his daughter.
- The bonus manga at the end of the books shows the final moons of Crookedstar's life. During this time, he has to deal with Silverstream falling in love with a ThunderClan cat, Graystripe. For the next moon, Crookedstar deals with his daughter sneaking out to see Graystripe. One night, he finds himself on the border of StarClan and the Dark Forest. He doesn't know why he is there, but he sees Silverstream going to StarClan, and she asks him to watch over her kits. A few moons pass, and Crookedstar recalls that his daughter lives on the lives of her two kits, Featherpaw and Stormpaw. He also notes that Silverstream would have been shocked that Graystripe joined RiverClan to be with them. Crookedstar then dies, and finally meets up with all of his friends and loved ones in StarClan.
- Bluepaw meets Crookedpaw at a Gathering and becomes friends with him. The same night, Hailstar reports that Oakheart is RiverClan's newest warrior. Later the two Clans fight over the Sunningrocks and ThunderClan comes away victorious, though no deaths were reported. A couple moons later, Crookedpaw and Bluepaw speak again at a Gathering and both reveal to each other that they'd become warriors by the names Bluefur and Crookedjaw.
- Many moons later, Bluefur finds Oakheart on ThunderClan territory and attacks him but is defeated by Oakheart smoothly backing down. At the next Gathering, Oakheart shows remorse at the death of Bluefur's sister Snowfur, but Bluefur takes no interest. Hailstar announced that Oakheart had come up with a way of dealing with the Twolegs in greenleaf should they come too near RiverClan camp.
- Sunstar reclaims Sunningrocks for ThunderClan without battle, during which, it is revealed that Crookedjaw is the new RiverClan deputy. Bluefur and Oakheart secretly make plans to meet up at the Fourtrees the next night at moonhigh. They meet and Bluefur teaches Oakheart how to climb trees and they make a nest together. Not long after, when ThunderClan returns from a Gathering, it is revealed that Hailstar had lost his last life due to a rat bite and Crookedjaw was the new leader and Timberfur is the new deputy. There had been a fight between Brokenpaw, a ShadowClan apprentice, and two RiverClan apprentices and Oakheart had to break them up. Leopardfoot informs Bluefur that she's carrying kits, which she realizes are her and Oakheart's. Bluefur meets Oakheart at the border and reveals that she is carrying his kits.
- Bluefur later has her litter of Stonekit, Mistykit, and Mosskit (all whom were named for the river), and Bluefur intends to raise them for ThunderClan. But when prey becomes scarce and Tawnyspots retires, Bluefur gives her kits to Oakheart to be raised in RiverClan and suckled by Graypool so that she can become deputy. She and Oakheart agree to meet at the Sunningrocks to hand the kits over, Mosskit dies on the journey. After that, Bluefur and Oakheart avoid each other at Gatherings.
- Two RiverClan warriors, who happen to be Graystripe's kits, are said to have gotten their warrior names: Feathertail and Stormfur. Firestar and Sandstorm follow the river that runs through RiverClan territory on their way to rebuild SkyClan.
- Coming Soon
In the Dawn of the Clans Arc
- Coming Soon
In the The Prophecies Begin Arc
- The leader of RiverClan at the time is Crookedstar, a huge light-colored tabby tom with a twisted jaw, and their deputy is Oakheart, a reddish brown tom. The long feud between RiverClan and ThunderClan over the ownership of Sunningrocks is also revealed in this book. Oakheart is killed and Leopardfur is announced deputy.
- Crookedstar announces at a Gathering that he has granted Brokenstar hunting rights in the river, possibly because if he didn't, RiverClan would be chased out like WindClan. Many of the Clan are angry because they were not consulted as a grizzly silver tom states. This is not unlike the alliance between Leopardstar and Tigerstar in a later addition.
- Now that Brokenstar has been chased off, Crookedstar proclaims that all the prey in the river is now theirs. Nightstar disagrees, and Bluestar comes in and says that ShadowClan doesn't need RiverClan's fish. The leaders now agree. When Bluestar says that WindClan must come back, RiverClan is angered by this proposal, but agrees. Later, Dappletail says that RiverClan elder spoke of Twolegs taking over part of the river. When Graystripe and Fireheart go to get WindClan back, they spot RiverClan trying to hunt a rabbit, but failing. When they are walking WindClan back, they have to cross RiverClan territory, and a RiverClan patrol spots them, saying that this is the last time they will set foot there.
- A RiverClan warrior, Whiteclaw, is killed after falling into the gorge during a battle between a RiverClan patrol and cats from ThunderClan and WindClan. The RiverClan deputy, Leopardfur, shows her anger and sadness over the young warrior's death. Some cats think this reasons for pain and suffering because Whiteclaw was her mate, however this may also be due to the fact Leopardfur also mentored Whiteclaw.
- A ThunderClan cat, Graystripe, met Crookedstar's daughter, a RiverClan she-cat named Silverstream when she rescued him from the icy river. They begin to fall in love and try to meet each other in private.
- RiverClan starts starving later, due to the frozen river. Bluestar thinks this is an excellent time to lay a raid on RiverClan. However, Graystripe doesn't want to fight Silverstream, and he is reluctant about fighting. Willowpelt agrees that a thaw is coming anyway, and that the raid should be called off.
- At the next Gathering, Crookedstar lets on that there is a ThunderClan spy spying on RiverClan. Fireheart knows that it is Graystripe. Later, RiverClan and ShadowClan form an alliance and both attack WindClan. ThunderClan joins WindClan, Silverstream and Fireheart almost start fighting, until Graystripe's eyes plead to Fireheart. He let's Silverstream go, and Graystripe chases after her. RiverClan retreats, and the battle is over.
- In the prologue, Oakheart has two kits that he wants Graypool to suckle. Graypool agrees, but can scent their enemy Clan smell.
- After ThunderClan helps WindClan defeat RiverClan when they invade, Tigerclaw tells Fireheart that he saw Fireheart let the RiverClan warrior, Silverstream escape. RiverClan is still starving from lack of prey. During a Gathering, a RiverClan elder remembers a time where prey was scarce, and cats drowned. When the meeting starts, Tallstar announces that RiverClan is recovering from the recent battle. He also states that one of their elders has died, but their warriors are strong enough to fight any other day. When Graystripe and Fireheart go to Ravenpaw to talk about the battle at Sunningrocks, Ravenpaw reminisces about that sad day. The two cats now want to know how Oakheart was killed, so they plan to cross the RiverClan border.
- Graystripe and Fireheart go across the RiverClan border to meet up with Silverstream and Mistyfoot. Mistyfoot tells Fireheart that Oakheart was her father and that he died under some fallen rocks. Fireheart asks why he said that no cat should harm Stonefur. Mistyfoot doesn't know, but promises to send Graypool to talk to her. Soon it is arranged, and Graypool comes to talk to them. Graypool tells the rest of the cats to go and settles in to talk to Fireheart. Graypool tells him that Mistyfoot and Stonefur are both half-ThunderClan.
- Bluestar tells Fireheart that Mistyfoot and Stonefur are her "lost" kits and Oakheart was her mate. She also tells him she had a third kit, Mosskit, who died on the journey to Sunningrocks were Oakheart was waiting to take them to RiverClan because Bluestar had to give them up to become deputy and save her clan.
- Suddenly there is a flood, and Graystripe wants to see Silverstream. As they try to go to visit her, they find two tiny RiverClan kits almost drowned in the flood. They haul the kits to the RiverClan camp and give the kits back. Mistyfoot comes at once to see her kits. Fireheart asks if he can do anything else for RiverClan and Graypool steps forward, saying that the river is practically poisoned and they need help catching prey. The two cats agree to bring prey for RiverClan every now and then.
- At a later Gathering, when tensions rise between ThunderClan and WindClan and ShadowClan, RiverClan offers ThunderClan a safe way back to their camp. After Silverstream has her kits who are half-Clan, RiverClan and ThunderClan almost fight so they can keep the kits. Silverstream's kits were Featherkit and Stormkit, later Feathertail and Stormfur. Graystripe, Fireheart's best friend, was their father. Silverstream died bearing her kits which caused Cinderpaw, the medicine cat apprentice, to blame herself for many many moons. A patrol of RiverClan cats comes to help ThunderClan when Tigerclaw tries to kill Bluestar. RiverClan came to demand for the kits and eventually it almost led to fighting before Graystripe said that the kits should go to RiverClan. Graystripe decides to go along with them, but doesn't tell anyone in ThunderClan until the very last moment.
- At a Gathering, Leopardfur, the RiverClan deputy, tells Fireheart that Graystripe is doing well in RiverClan, but he is not a true RiverClan warrior.
- When Tigerclaw's band of rogues come and attack a ThunderClan patrol, Graystripe leads a RiverClan patrol to help the cats. After the small battle is won, RiverClan says that rogues threaten them all and that they had to help. After talking to Graystripe, Fireheart discovers that RiverClan distrusts Graystripe enough not to give him an apprentice.
- When a fire destroys the ThunderClan camp and kills Yellowfang, Halftail, and Patchpelt, RiverClan shelters them. Crookedstar says that all Clans fear fire, and that they were right to help them. Afterwards, when the fire is gone, Bluestar thanks Crookedstar and says that they are in debt. Leopardfur narrows her eyes, knowing that they would need to pay them back. Later, the ThunderClan cat speculate that the RiverClan cats had already decided that they would ask for Sunningrocks when the time comes. This causes many ThunderClan cats to be wary, because they guess that because RiverClan sheltered them, they will want Sunningrocks in return. The theory was proven to be true.
- Firestar thanks RiverClan at a Gathering for sheltering them during the fire. Crookedstar gets very sick, and Tigerstar visits the camp. Leopardfur talks to him and Graystripe catches a phrase of them coming on RiverClan territory. Another cat, Mistyfoot, appears, and says that Graypool is missing. She also says that these days, she's very weak and confused. Fireheart looks around and finds Graypool at the edge of the river. She is talking to Tigerstar, and thinks he is Oakheart. She gives away the secret of ThunderClan kits in RiverClan, and Tigerstar kills her, demanding to know. Fireheart catches up with them and Mistyfoot comes and takes her back to camp.
- Crookedstar dies of greencough, so Leopardfur is made leader, taking the name of Leopardstar. Stonefur becomes the new deputy. At that Gathering, Leopardstar says that Twolegs have invaded their territory and show no signs of leaving. She also says that RiverClan needs better hunting ground then ThunderClan.
- When RiverClan tries to retake Sunningrocks, Graystripe, (formerly of ThunderClan) betrays RiverClan by helping his best friend, Fireheart, a ThunderClan cat, beat Leopardstar. Fireheart also stops Stonefur from attacking Bluestar, revealing that she is their mother. Bluestar allows Graystripe to come back into the Clan at many cats' disapproval.
- When Fireheart devises the Dog relay race to the gorge, he tells Graystripe that part of it will be through RiverClan territory; it is unknown if RiverClan knew about it. When Tigerstar's dog pack pulls Bluestar into the gorge, Mistyfoot and Stonefur pull her out of the river. They offer their condolences, and Bluestar dies.
- Mistyfoot and Stonefur come inside ThunderClan camp to sit vigil for their mother. They are greeted with hostility, but are allowed to stay for a few moments and then leave to RiverClan. On a later border patrol, Firestar meets Mistyfoot and notices that she is thin. She tells them that Stonefur and told the Clan that they are half-Clan, and Leopardstar supports them while keeping an eye on them to make sure they're loyal. She also brings news that Tigerstar is visiting Leopardstar more often to plan something. She also says that there are a few ShadowClan warriors stationed permanently around the camp. Leopardstar says they are here to exchange battle training, but they just sit there and watch the Clan. Prey is also scarce since it's leaf-bare, but that's nothing new.
- At a Gathering, when Tigerstar begins to become more power hungry, he develops TigerClan, consisting of ShadowClan and RiverClan warriors. Leopardstar submits into the pressure and joins Tigerstar's TigerClan. He says that he and Leopardstar will be joint leaders in this new Clan. Graystripe is now worried about his kits, and he, Firestar, and Ravenpaw cross into RiverClan territory to check on them. When they arrive, they see the Bonehill in RiverClan territory and Tigerstar sentencing the half-Clan cats, Mistyfoot, Stonefur, Stormpaw and Featherpaw, to death. Stonefur is killed, but Firestar and his group manage to save Mistyfoot and the kits.
- When Tigerstar brings Scourge into the forest, Tigerstar is killed, and Leopardstar becomes the sole leader of TigerClan. However, with advice from Firestar, she finally breaks off her Clan into RiverClan and ShadowClan, and they fight in the battle against BloodClan.
In the New Prophecy Arc
- At a Gathering, WindClan asks RiverClan for permission to drink the water on their land. WindClan's sources of water are drying out from Twolegs, and RiverClan has safe water. At first, RiverClan is reluctant to give them rights, but Mistyfoot speaks up, saying that they have plenty of water. Leopardstar allows them to drink until the next Gathering. RiverClan also reports that a new litter of kits have been born, and that Twolegs have left rubbish that have attracted rats. Blackclaw and Stormfur went and killed the rats before any harm could come to RiverClan. Hawkpaw and Mothpaw are now warriors, with the names Hawkfrost and Mothwing. A few cats protest, so Leopardstar tells the Clan of Sasha and how she left her kits to stay in RiverClan. Mudfur also says that he wants Mothwing to become a medicine cat, and he will wait for a sign.
- Later, a WindClan patrol finds a water vole on RiverClan territory, and they bring it back to their camp. A ThunderClan patrol sees this and confronts them, but WindClan says they are starving. Soon enough, there is a moth's wing outside of the medicine den, and Mothwing is the new medicine cat.
- Stormfur and Feathertail set out as members of an expedition to find a solution to the problem of Twolegs destroying the Clans' territories. They head towards the sun-drown-place with Tawnypelt, Brambleclaw, Squirrelpaw, and Crowpaw.
- During the next Gathering, Leopardstar takes back her permission of letting WindClan cross the borders to drink. Tallstar accepts this. However, Mothwing, pushed on by her brother, Hawkfrost, says that WindClan warriors have been stealing RiverClan fish as well. Tallstar defends his Clan by saying that his warriors haven't done such a thing, but Leopardstar says her Clan would attack any WindClan warriors on the other side of the border. RiverClan then asks ThunderClan if Stormfur and Feathertail had gone to live with their father, but ThunderClan replies that they haven't, and that Squirrelpaw and Brambleclaw are missing too.
- Leafpaw suggests that they should talk to WindClan, since it is said that they were stealing fish from RiverClan. Cinderpelt reminds her that it was never proved. Leafpaw is still convinced that they should do something, so she and Sorreltail sneak over to WindClan territory, and get caught by a patrol. Frightened, the two start to run back to ThunderClan, but instead get caught in RiverClan territory. However, the WindClan pursuers are so mad, that they cross the RiverClan boundary, too. Mothwing arrives in the nick of time and snarls at the WindClan warriors to get off their territory. The warriors go away, and Leafpaw thanks Mothwing. Mothwing says it was nothing, and goes to look for herbs. Sorreltail questions her loyalty, but Leafpaw fires up, saying that Mothwing is loyal to RiverClan only. Leafpaw asks Mothwing how things are going in RiverClan, and she says they haven't seen any monsters and everything is peaceful. They leave the territory.
- Mothwing later starts to try to teach Leafpaw how to fish, since it is the only prey that's not slowly dying. Leafpaw is not very good at it, frantic with worry that Leopardstar will get mad at her for coming onto RiverClan territory. Mothwing blinks, and says they're medicine cats, so boundaries don't matter to them. Leafpaw tentatively eats some fish. Hawkfrost almost finds them, and he shares his ambition with Mothwing to have RiverClan take over the forest while the rest of the Clans are weak.
- One day, Reedpaw almost drowns in the river, and Leafpaw is there to help. Mothwing is too scared to help, but Leafpaw knows exactly what to do. Mistyfoot is there, and she listens to Leafpaw to help save the apprentice. Later, Mistyfoot gets captured by Twolegs, and the Clan thinks she ran away because she couldn't face what was going on in the forest. Hawkfrost is named the new deputy.
- Feathertail, the RiverClan delegate, sacrifices herself to save the Tribe of Rushing Water from Sharptooth. The other cats are overcome with grief, and Stormfur says that he will have to tell RiverClan about their loss.
- All the Clans are slowly starving with the exception of RiverClan. During a Gathering, the four leaders wait for the sign of a dying warrior, but Leopardstar says that RiverClan has no need to travel to a distant place on the word of dreaming warriors. The river is still full of fish, and that's all that matters. The other Clan's troubles are not for RiverClan to worry about.
- Mistyfoot returns to RiverClan, much to the irritation of Hawkfrost, who had enjoyed being deputy. She escapes from the cages with the help of ThunderClan warriors. Firestar wants to keep trying to persuade RiverClan and ShadowClan to come to the new home, so he takes some warriors and decides to go. Hawkfrost is seen on the border, with a rogue. The rogue turns out to be his mother, making sure that he and Mothwing are all right. Hawkfrost tells her not to worry, as they have plenty of prey. Later, RiverClan agrees to join the rest of the Clans on the Great Journey, and it is settled. However, on the day of the journey, RiverClan says they can not come because Mudfur, their medicine cat, is dying. Frostfur, and a few other elders say they'll stay with him and keep vigil. RiverClan agrees, and they finally leave.
- Sasha catches up to them and asks her kits to come with them. Mothwing and Hawkfrost politely decline, and Sasha reveals to the Clans that Tigerstar was their father. The cats are shocked, but Leopardstar says that no matter who their father was, they will always be welcome in RiverClan. Sasha nods, says good-bye to her kits one last time, and leaves. While passing through the mountains on the Great Journey, Stormfur leaves RiverClan, deciding to stay in the Tribe of Rushing Water with Brook. When they finally get to their new territory, Hawkfrost says that the island should be used for RiverClan territory. However, nothing is decided yet, and the four Clans are at peace.
- RiverClan agrees to send a patrol to explore the land around the lake in order to find a territory that suits them. Leopardstar sends Mistyfoot to go for RiverClan. As they start the trek around the lake, they cross a wet territory that's full of fish and prey. Mistyfoot comments that RiverClan would like this territory very much, and they might have to start working out new fishing techniques. RiverClan sends a patrol to explore the island further, and the Clan is settled. RiverClan soon sets their boundaries by the horseplace and the Twoleg bridge. However, there is debate over whose land the Island is. Leopardstar claims it as theirs as there may be important herbs there, but Firestar says that if there is no sign in one moon, the Island will belong to RiverClan. Leopardstar curtly agrees.
- Hawkfrost, a RiverClan warrior, joins Mudclaw and gets involved in a rebellion against Onewhisker. A tree falls down making a bridge to the island, and this is now used for Gatherings, not for RiverClan land.
- At a Gathering, Leopardstar wants to claim the marshes as RiverClan's, but the rest of the Clans disagree. Leopardstar grants permission for ShadowClan to come on their territory every Gathering, as long as they don't steal prey. Later, Mosspelt comes to Leafpool in a dream because RiverClan will be in grave danger from the Twolegs. Leafpool goes to RiverClan, but she Mothwing doesn't pay her visit with too much heed.
- Later, though, Twolegs left a piece of Twoleg junk near the camp. Three kits: Minnowkit, Pebblekit, and Tumblekit, got out of camp, walked through the green liquid spilling out of it, and even drank some of it. Their mother Dawnflower licked them clean when they returned, and became ill from it, and the kits followed shortly after her. Other warriors and apprentices caught prey that had crawled through it, and soon, most of the camp was sick. Mothwing, with help from Leafpool, saved most of the cats, though a few died. Leopardstar thanks Leafpool, and she leaves.
- Midnight knows that the badgers want revenge because first RiverClan drove them out of their territory, Hawkfrost in particular. Stormfur and Brook admit they haven't been to RiverClan yet. When a patrol finds boats on the lake, Dustpelt says that the boatplace is across the lake, and it's RiverClan's and ShadowClan's problem. Firestar reminds them that a problem for RiverClan could easily become a problem for them. Later, Stormfur and Brook say they want to go stay in RiverClan, as they have to be loyal to their Clan.
- Mudfur visits Leafpool in a dream telling her that RiverClan are suffering from greencough. Leafpool asks if she should bring them catmint, but Mudfur tells her there's plenty of catmint in their territory if Mothwing knew where to look.
- At a Gathering, Mothwing talks of her dream where two rocks were blocking the stream making it hard for the water to rush through. The river then pushes the two stones away. Leopardstar agrees that there are two things in RiverClan that don't belong, and the Gathering moves on. Leopardstar says that the Twolegs are throwing their rubbish everywhere and they're even coming on the island. Hawkfrost claims that they need more land, but WindClan and ShadowClan refuse. WindClan says that RiverClan can't hunt on the hillside, and Hawkfrost says that they can try. Hawkfrost says they might starve, but Firestar says they don't look like they are starving. Hawkfrost insists that they need more territory, but Mistyfoot says he doesn't speak for RiverClan. Leopardstar says that the next cat to raise a paw will come to her. RiverClan then leaves the Gathering. Hawkfrost says that he's been loyal to RiverClan for all his life and he deserves to be deputy. Mistyfoot ignores him in disgust.
- Leafpool finally goes to RiverClan territory to give the message to Mothwing, but Heavystep is already dead. However, Mothwing thanks her, as they can use the catmint. When Brambleclaw goes to RiverClan territory to asses the problem with the Twolegs, Brook accidentally chases a squirrel over the ShadowClan border and makes Hawkfrost angry. Stormfur stands up for her. After a number of RiverClan cats claim that Brook shouldn't be in RiverClan because she can't follow the warrior code, nor does she know it, Hawkfrost tells Leopardstar that he would have liked for Brook to be run over by a monster that barely missed her. A moment later, Hawkfrost goads Stormfur into attacking him. Blackclaw and Mistyfoot pull the warriors apart, and Leopardstar reluctantly exiles Stormfur and Brook. Brambleclaw finds them and invite them to join ThunderClan until they can go back to the mountains.
- Hawkfrost suggests that once he and Brambleclaw are in charge, they should kill the other two leaders at a Gathering when they are all trapped on the island, and take over their Clans. He also suggests that they should continue the discussion when they are awake, and Brambleclaw agrees to meet him in two days, at sunrise, near the ShadowClan border. Before they meet, Hawkfrost lures Firestar into a fox trap, so that Brambleclaw can finish him off easily and become leader in his place. However, Brambleclaw chooses to save his leader instead, because of his loyalties to Firestar, and gets him out of the trap. He tells Hawkfrost to go back to RiverClan, saying that he does not want to hurt his brother. Hawkfrost attacks him, but he is killed in the fight, his neck pierced by the stick of the fox trap. Thus, Leafpool's prophecy of "blood will spill blood" is fulfilled.
In the Power of Three Arc
- Brackenfur says that they don't have to worry about RiverClan because they don't share boundaries with them and Leopardstar's been pretty quiet ever since Hawkfrost died on their land. Willowpaw comes on ThunderClan territory claiming that she had a dream and she wants Leafpool to help her interpret it. She dreamt that clouds were streaming across the sky, flowing and tumbling. Suddenly, the sun scorched RiverClan camp, and there was no shelter from the burning heat. Leafpool tells her to make sure all the streams are safe.
- Leafpool has to go to RiverClan along with Kestrelpaw and Weaselfur to borrow catmint from Mothwing and Willowpaw when ThunderClan and WindClan catch greencough.
- When Graystripe comes back, RiverClan is mostly pleased, and they welcome Graystripe back. RiverClan comes to the Daylight Gathering. Surprisingly, Leopardstar warmly welcomes Graystripe back and seems happy for his return, forgiving him for the death of her former apprentice, Whiteclaw, for his death at the battle at the gorge.
- RiverClan comes late to a Gathering. Leopardstar doesn't look very happy when they arrive. Firestar asks her if there is any news to share, but Leopardstar curtly says there is none. She says the fish are returning to the lake, hunting is well, and the Clan is well. Firestar is happy, and Leopardstar ends the Gathering.
- After deciding to find RiverClan's problem on her own, Hollypaw travels to RiverClan's territory. However, she is held captive in the RiverClan temporary camp. While there, Twoleg kits invade RiverClan's camp. It is later revealed that Twoleg kits were attacking them on their territory. Blackclaw had the idea to create a dam to make the river wider and keep the Twoleg kits away. Leopardstar makes Hollypaw promise not to tell her Clan what was going on, fearing she would tell the other Clans and make them look weak. The next day, Squirrelflight comes to fetch her.
- Hollypaw later asks Jaypaw if RiverClan is doing okay, and if they were acting strange at the Gathering. Jaypaw says that he doesn't think there is, but he'll see if he can sense anything from Willowpaw from the journey to the Moonpool. When they go to the Moonpool, Jaypaw sees if he can sense anything, and sure enough, he can sense unease. He walks into her dreams, and sees Mudfur telling Willowpaw to go away. If they don't, the camp will be destroyed. Something is wrong in RiverClan. Jaypaw comes back and tells the Clan, but Firestar says it is not their business.
- At the next Gathering, Leopardstar brings all of RiverClan and explains that they have to take refuge on the island because Twolegs kits playing near the river forced the cats from their normal camp. The other Clans are outraged, but they let them stay until the next moon, otherwise the next Gathering. Then they can decide what to do. For now, the Clans leave RiverClan in peace.
- On a journey to the Moonpool, Willowpaw comes, but Mothwing isn't with her. Willowpaw says it's because Beechpaw has an infected bee sting, but Jaypaw knows it's because Mothwing doesn't believe in StarClan.
- When warriors from ThunderClan need to go to the mountains, Stormfur says there's no need to ask any cat from RiverClan to come, as Feathertail was the chosen cat, but now she's gone. He says that he himself will go for RiverClan. When they go to ask WindClan Tornear reveals that Breezepelt had provoked a fight with RiverClan even though they were not trespassing or stealing prey. Onestar didn't appreciate having to apologize to Mistyfoot for the trouble he caused.
- After helping the tribe, Stormfur and Brook are given the chance to stay with the Tribe of Rushing Water, to which they accept.
- Willowpaw, apprentice to Mothwing, becomes a full medicine cat with the name Willowshine.
- When WindClan attacks ThunderClan, RiverClan helps WindClan fight against them. ThunderClan and ShadowClan. Reedwhisker and Mosspelt are seen during the battle, complaining about the dense undergrowth and wondering why the other Clans even enjoy being under all the shady trees. After the sun vanishes, the RiverClan cats flee back to their territory. Berrynose sneers that RiverClan are more like fat, furry fish than cats. Later, when Sol arrives, Jaypaw wishes that Sol hadn't gone to contact RiverClan about anything.
- Birchfall comments that RiverClan and WindClan would have turned them into crowfood without ShadowClan's help.
- Mothwing and Willowshine are both present when Jayfeather receives his medicine cat name and they greet him by calling his name. ThunderClan is suffering from greencough, and when Jayfeather goes to get catmint, he realizes all his plants were squashed in battle. He angrily comments that WindClan and RiverClan must have done this on purpose. Leafpool knows of a catmint patch just outside of RiverClan territory, but because of the recent fighting, she is not safe enough to go get it.
- When Jayfeather takes a long time to find moss because of his being with Mousefur, Leafpool snaps that he must have gone all the way to RiverClan to find that moss. Foxpaw and Icepaw scent WindClan and RiverClan on their territory. Lionblaze goes to investigate, and he sees Leopardstar and Reedwhisker come to ThunderClan territory with Blackstar and Rowanclaw of ShadowClan and Onestar and Tornear of WindClan. They ask if Sol is there, and Leopardstar asks if it is true he killed Ashfur. Firestar is shocked they already know, and Onestar says that one of his patrols saw them bringing back Sol, and they passed on the news to RiverClan who in turn passed the news to ShadowClan. Firestar says it does not concern them, but Leopardstar hisses that it is putting their Clans in danger. They say that if they find Sol on ThunderClan territory the next moon, they will take him out themselves.
- At the next Gathering, RiverClan reports that prey is running well, and that Mistyfoot, Reedwhisker, and Rainstorm drove a fox out of the territory.
In the Omen of the Stars Arc
- At a Gathering, Lionblaze realizes that Leopardstar looks skin and bone, and the other cats in RiverClan look the same. When the meeting starts, Leopardstar accuses the other Clans of stealing the fish. She says that RiverClan doesn't eat any other kind of prey, and all the fish should belong to them. She also says that the lake belongs to RiverClan, since they need everything the lake has to offer, resulting in the other Clans being outraged. She announces that she will send out patrols to make sure no one is stealing fish.
- Later, a RiverClan patrol meets up with a ThunderClan patrol bringing water back to the camp. RiverClan carefully watches them, making sure they aren't sneaking in any fish in the moss. When Ivypaw examines a dead fish nearby, a RiverClan cat, Rainstorm, charges after her, believing she is planning to eat the fish, and sinks into a deep mud hole. The patrol rescues him and invites him into their camp to clean up and grow strong enough to return to his own territory. Thornclaw and some other cats want to keep him prisoner in their camp, only giving him back to RiverClan in exchange for some of their fish. Firestar disagrees, and decides to let him stay in ThunderClan camp because he is exhausted until sunset so he can travel in the cool of the day back to RiverClan. As they go to return him, Rainstorm reluctantly leads them to the RiverClan camp. Brambleclaw tells Mistyfoot their side of what happened, and they leave. While they are there, Dovepaw senses that there is a very sick camp in RiverClan.
- Later, Dovepaw senses RiverClan warriors making a fuss about sticky mud. At a later Gathering, Firestar wants to send a patrol to see what is blocking the stream. Leopardstar says that the Clans are cheating her, trying to get rid of her warriors so they can have some fish. Firestar says that doesn't make sense, but Leopardstar hisses that he would love to have RiverClan starve to save his Clan and that RiverClan will not participate in the patrol. Mistyfoot talks sense into her, and announces that RiverClan will send cats. A few cats are outraged at her behavior, but Mistyfoot is calm, and ends the Gathering.
- Petalfur and Rippletail are sent on the expedition. When dogs threaten the patrol, WindClan and RiverClan shuffle clumsily, claiming that they don't climb trees. The other cats help them, and they are safe. The RiverClan warriors later catch fish, and other cats give it a try. When they finally attack the beavers, the RiverClan cats are so pleased to be back in water that they don't see the beavers behind them. The beavers badly injure Rippletail, and Petalfur tries to help him, but fails. She works extra hard in defeating them, saying that he wouldn't die in vain. At the end of the quest, she goes back to RiverClan to announce the death.
- Dovepaw hears into the RiverClan camp and realizes that Leopardstar is dead and Mistystar must have taken her place. Mistyfoot and Mothwing are shown going to the Moonpool.
- Later, they come to ThunderClan saying Leopardstar had died and Mistystar is the new leader. At the Gathering, all the Clans mourn for the loss of Leopardstar and welcome the new leader, Mistystar. Mistystar admits greenleaf was harsh for RiverClan, but they are getting along better now. When Ivypaw and Birchfall are in a mock battle, Ivypaw uses one of the moves she learned from Hawkfrost. Dustpelt comments that it looks like a RiverClan move, which is true because Hawkfrost was from RiverClan.
- Hawkfrost, a former RiverClan cat, continues to train Ivypaw, and gives her advice on fighting. At the Half-moon, Mudfur, an ancient RiverClan cat, tells Willowshine to tread on RiverClan's path only, as times are getting harder, and no other Clan can be trusted. Hollowpaw and Minnowtail join the Dark Forest, and train to become better fighters. When the Dark Forest cats are training in water combat, Ivypaw is struggling in the water, and Hawkfrost purrs that she is no RiverClan cat. Ivypaw yells that she doesn't want to be.
- Mothwing is escorted to the ThunderClan camp by Thornclaw and Spiderleg. She breaks away from the two warriors and says she could have found her own way there. Jayfeather decides they should talk down by the lake since his den is full of sick cats. Once they reach the lake, she tells him that Willowshine told Mothwing that StarClan wants them to stop talking to the other medicine cats and break ties with the other Clans. She tries to reason with Jayfeather that he shouldn't listen to StarClan all the time and do what's best for his Clanmates. Mothwing is angered when Jayfeather refuses to listen to her and when he turns to leave she offers him herbs if he's desperate. Jayfeather bluntly declines the offer and Mothwing leaves without saying another word.
- At a Gathering, when Firestar announces that ShadowClan took one of their apprentices prisoner, RiverClan and WindClan try to stifle shocked gasps. ThunderClan and ShadowClan seem to be on the brink of fighting and Mistystar commands her warriors to go home.
- At a Gathering, Mistystar announces that RiverClan is doing well, and nothing is threatening their Clan a lot. When ThunderClan announces that Ivypool is now a warrior, Mallownose of RiverClan asks where she is, as she should be there for her first Gathering as a warrior. After the Gathering is over, Grasspelt asks where Briarlight is, and Bumblestripe is shocked at the question. Dovewing answers for him. Mintfur and Robinwing of RiverClan dip their heads respectfully to the ThunderClan warriors and then leave.
- Hollowpaw is recruited in the Dark Forest and he tells Ivypool how he got there. Hawkfrost came to him after being bullied by Mossypaw, Rushtail, and Troutstream. He told him that he could stand up to them if he trained with them.
- Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
In the A Vision of Shadows Arc
- Coming Soon
In the Field Guide Arc
- Leopardstar speaks on what she thinks about RiverClan and ends with the words: "We are grace. We are power. We are RiverClan."
- RiverClan cats are said to be contented, sleek, and well fed. They love beautiful, shiny things such as rocks, shells, and feathers, and decorate their nests with them. They do not fear water, as it is what their Clan is named for.
- RiverClan cats hunt mostly fish; it is their main source of prey. However, they also hunt water voles, water shrews, and mice. RiverClan warriors are particularly strong swimmers, moving silently through the water. They scoop fish out from the bank which is a skill other Clans can't master. The book explains RiverClan's forest territory and Feathertail shows the reader around RiverClan's Forest territory.
- In Flood!, Silverstream is on the night watch. She gets up to stretch her legs, and surprisingly feels water. She reports this to Crookedstar, saying the river is going to flood. Crookedstar says that the water will go down soon. The water reaches farther and Mudfur has to move his supplies to protect his herbs. Shadepaw, Silverpaw, Loudbelly, and Mistyfoot try to hold back the water, but are unsuccessful. Soon, the water floods the camp, and two of Mistyfoot's kits have disappeared. Later, Graystripe and Fireheart turn up with the missing kits and talk to Crookedstar.
- The book explains RiverClan's Lake Territory, and Mistyfoot shows the reader around the camp.
- In Leopardstar Speaks: A Deadly Alliance, Leopardstar says that the reader has judged her. She claims she is an excellent leader because she makes decisions and sticks to them, unlike others. She then talks about Tigerstar's plan for the forest and how it was a perfect plan to keep her Clan safe. No cat would ever be hungry, and the Clans waste time and energy competing against each other. Together, the Clans could fight anything that came onto their paths. She can see the future Tigerstar is offering, but she does get nervous when he talks about half-Clan cats, as she doesn't know what he wants to do with them. However, now the ShadowClan cats are building a pile of prey bones and it is giving her nightmares.
- The book then goes on to list all the significant leaders and medicine cats.
- Crookedstar, Leopardstar, Graypool, Mistyfoot, and Stonefur, Silverstream, Feathertail, Stormfur, Hawkfrost, and Mothwing and Willowpaw are all featured in this book.
- At the beginning, the story of River and the other new leaders is being told. In The Beginning of the Warrior Code of Code 1, Ryewhisker of WindClan and his mate, Cloudberry of RiverClan are meeting each other. Cloudberry is expecting Ryewhisker's kits. RiverClan has accused WindClan of stealing fish. Ryewhisker says this is untrue, as WindClan has no interest in eating fish. Cloudberry is concerned about their kits, but Ryewhisker says it will all be worked out, and the kits will help bring the Clans together. Soon, WindClan launches an attack on RiverClan when accused again. Ryewhisker defends Cloudberry from Hawkfur, a WindClan warrior, saying that his kits will not be hurt. Ryewhisker is then attacked by a RiverClan warrior and dies. During the nest Gathering, Duststar, WindClan's leader states that if Ryewhisker had not been attached to Cloudberry, he wouldn't have been killed. He then says that all cats must be loyal to their Clan only.
- In Hunting Fish! of Code 2, Dappletail and White-eye want to see what fish taste like. Both cats nearly drown, and Hailstar, leader of RiverClan, saves them with Owlfur. Pinestar and Sunfall arrive, and Owlfur suggests that they eat the fish they caught. They both find the fish disgusting and Hailstar decides that what has happened has been enough punishment. As they head back to camp, Dappletail remarks that RiverClan can have all the fish in the world.
- In A Mystical Battle of Code 3, Splashheart is fishing by Sunningrocks, which is RiverClan's territory at the time. His former mentor, Reedshine, joins him, and they spot an attack patrol from ThunderClan. Reedshine comes back with their leader and several other warriors and the battle begins. Reedshine is badly injured and RiverClan temporarily retreats. Darkstar gives an inspiring speech on why they should continue fighting, and they reemerge in battle. Suddenly, Splashheart is joined by Aspentail and a bunch of other warriors. ThunderClan is forced to retreat. Aspentail reveals themselves as RiverClan ancestors who fought for Sunningrocks when she was alive. Darkstar declares that on the way back, they will catch prey for their elders and kits, as this battle was fought for their sakes. Splashheart agrees, and when he is leader he will make this a part of the warrior code: elders and kits must be fed first.
- In A Night of Listening of Code 6, Meadowpelt, the medicine cat of RiverClan is frustrated by the antics of Snaketooth, Molewhisker, Nettlepad, and Lightningpelt who are always daring each other to do dangerous things. Snaketooth soon breaks his leg by doing another stupid thing, and Meadowpelt hears that they are planning to jump the gorge. He asks Troutstar if he can go seek answers from StarClan. In his dream sent by StarClan, Meadowpelt is in the middle of the camp listening and watching to Clan life, while not making any sound himself. This gives him an idea of a night of listening. When he returns from the Moonstone, Lightningpelt, Molewhisker, and Nettlepad are ordered to keep a silent vigil to watch over the Clan. During the night, there is a fox attack, and Nettlepad stays to guard the camp as Lightningpelt and Molewhisker chase it off. After this night, the four warriors are taking their responsibilities more seriously. Soon this is added to the warrior code: new warriors must keep one night of vigil.
- In A Loss For All Clans of Code 12, Graywing (RC), RiverClan's medicine cat, is patrolling the borders with Brindleclaw and Foxwhisker when they see three WindClan kits clinging to the rocks on the far side. As the three kits fall, Brindleclaw leaps to help, but Graywing stops her, saying kits from other Clans are not their concern. Later, Graywing is overwhelmed by guilt about the kits. That night, Runningstorm, Wolfheart, and Smallstar come to her in a dream; they are the cats that would have been. Graywing wonders if something is wrong in WindClan, but the cats say he is fine. Graywing then recognizes them, and the StarClan warriors show Graywing where RiverClan's kits lie. Graywing is relieved they didn't hurt any of them. Smallstar says that kits are the most important part of a Clan, and without them, the Clan might as well be dead. Graywing wakes up and asks her leader, Ivystar if she can take Brindleclaw and Foxwhisker on a patrol. They are aloud too, they find the three WindClan bodies, and Graywing admits her faults. She later tells Ivystar to add another rule to the warrior code: all kits are to be protected, regardless of the Clan.
- Reedwhisker welcomes the reader and Duckpaw, Pikepaw, Tanglepaw, and Rushpaw learn the Rushpaw Splash, which Rushpaw had invented. Hailstar remembers the time he and a patrol rescued Willowpaw and Graypaw from WindClan. Pouncetail speaks of the time he caught Spiderfoot saying that RiverClan is a bunch of fat cats. The RiverClan warriors surrounded him, and Pouncetail almost made him jump from a high beam until he became merciful and let him go. Mistyfoot greets the reader and comments on how battle inflicts ever-lasting memories on you.
- Coming Soon
In the Tigerstar and Sasha Arc
- Sasha and her kits go on RiverClan territory, and Sasha starts to tell her kits about Tigerstar. A RiverClan patrol arrives, and Sasha offers her kits to them. Leopardstar agrees, and takes them into the Clan. Sasha refuses a warrior name, but Mothpaw and Hawkpaw get their apprentice names. One day, the apprentices see others playing a game of killing Tigerstar. Sasha comforts them, saying that everyone else only saw one side of Tigerstar, and that they must act oblivious to these games. Mothpaw and Hawkpaw then see some bones, and everyone watches, shocked while they play. Leopardstar tells them about Tigerstar and the bones, and Hawkpaw and Mothpaw remain silent throughout the whole thing. Sasha realizes that her place is not with RiverClan and leaves, leaving her kits behind her in RiverClan, promising that they will become great warriors.
In the Ravenpaw's Path Arc
- When Ravenpaw and Barley are on their territory, they cross a pond using stepping stones, and Ravenpaw says it reminds him of RiverClan.
In the The Lost Warrior Arc
- When Graystripe discovers that the Clan's land is being destroyed by Twolegs, he remarks that the land of RiverClan has hardly been touched.
In the Short Stories and Plays
- Tornear scathingly comments that ThunderClan has quite a history of bringing in non-Clan cats and being generous to them rather than being generous to Clan cats like Hawkfrost. Cloudtail hisses that he was a RiverClan cat, and he came onto their territory to kill Firestar. They'd hardly take him into camp to let him have first pick of the fresh-kill pile. Tornear says that they didn't get a chance to do that either, as Hawkfrost managed to stab himself with a piece of wood and then rolled into the lake to die. Brambleclaw calmly says that Hawkfrost's death has nothing to do with WindClan, as he was a traitor to the warrior code and RiverClan are rid of him.
- At the Gathering, Leopardstar starts, commenting they should get this over with before they all freeze to death. Blackstar is the first to admit any sign of weakness from the harsh leaf-bare. Leopardstar then agrees, saying that this leaf-bare is especially hard, and that the lake is frozen. How are they supposed to catch fish when all the fish are hiding under the ice? Later, it is assumed that Jaypaw, Lionpaw, and Hollypaw share prey with RiverClan, too.
- The scene begins when Firestar is hunting and scents RiverClan. Pouncetail and Otterheart, RiverClan warriors, have been captured by ShadowClan. Pouncetail is bleeding with his tail broken, and Otterheart is barely breathing. Russetfur shows up and says that RiverClan have purposefully been crossing the ShadowClan border. They are treated by Leafpool and at the next Gathering, are returned to RiverClan. Firestar proposes the idea of sharing leftover prey, and the Clans argue. Soon Jaypaw does a casting of stones, and Mistyfoot, along with Otterheart, Pouncetail, Mosspelt, Mintfur, and Reedwhisker of RiverClan, vote for Firestar to be their temporary leader.
- Leafpool and Brambleclaw talk about Brambleclaw killing Hawkfrost. Brambleclaw thinks it is all his fault for meeting with Hawkfrost in the first place, but Leafpool soothes him, and the two hardly mention Hawkfrost anymore.
In the Novellas
- At a Gathering, Birchstar is seen nodding in agreement after Swiftstar asks if they should join the other cats. She is noted to look plump and content, with a glossy pelt, while Cloudstar tries to hide his skinny frame.
- Later, at the Gathering where SkyClan are driven out, Birchstar demands to know why Cloudstar has brought his whole Clan to Fourtrees. When the other leaders deny SkyClan shelter, Birchstar tells Cloudstar that she really wants to help them, but the river is very low, making it hard to catch fish, making a point to mention that cats of SkyClan do not even have the ability to fish.
- While leaving the ThunderClan camp after being exiled, Tigerclaw muses about how he most likely would've won the fight to claim the Clan if RiverClan hadn't turned up to assist them when they did. He also thinks that keeping Bluestar as a leader would benefit Crookedstar, as in her weak and addled state, she would be unable to keep her grip on Sunningrocks.
- During an ambush on Fireheart, a RiverClan patrol aids him in fighting off Tigerclaw and his allies. Tigerclaw notes that Graystripe is part of this patrol.
- No RiverClan cats formally appear or are mentioned in Leafpool's Wish, but the allegiances list Leopardstar as the current leader, Mistyfoot as deputy, and Mothwing as the medicine cat.
- No RiverClan cats formally appear in this novella. However, they are listed in the allegiances, with Leopardstar as their leader, Mistyfoot as their deputy, and Mothwing as their medicine cat.
- Coming Soon
- Mistystar is seen emerging from the bracken with Mothwing and Icewing at the Gathering. She announces that as Beetlewhisker and Hollowflight were killed in the battle against the Dark Forest they cannot answer for what they have done. She also says Icewing has learned from her time training with the Dark Forest, and wants to give her another chance to be a good warrior. Mistystar interrupts Bramblestar to say that she thinks they must punish the Dark Forest trainees without weak inning their Clans further, and that exile is not an option as their ranks are already low.
- Ivypool mentions Hawkforst, a former RiverClan cat, while explaining why she trained in the Dark Forest. Later, Mistystar tells her that she believes what Ivypool has said and thanks her. She also agrees that each Clan should judge the punishment for the Dark Forest trainees within them.
- Mothwing steps out from behind Mistystar when an argument between Onestar and Blackstar behind to get heated, and suggests that each cat swears a new oath of loyalty to the warrior code, and while they walked a different path for a while it's now time to return to the way things were. She says she wants this because they do not need punishment as the Clans have suffered too much already, and they just need a sign that they can be trusted again,
- At the next Gathering Mistystar reports that RiverClan is faring well after a moon of hard work, and all the cats are united in making the camp secure and keeping the Clan well-fed, as leaf-bare is coming. She reports that Petalfur is having Mallownose's kits, glancing fondly at the queen as she does so. She also tells of a large pike that was eating smaller fish, but Lakeheart figured out a way to place stones to create an area where the big fish cannot enter! allowing them to catch the smaller fish with ease once more. She wishes the Clans well and steps back.
- At the Gathering, Mapleshade pushes into a group of RiverClan cats, pelts around her bristling as Rainfall hisses that she should not push her luck, even if there is a truce, going so far as to call her ThunderClan mouse dung.
- Coming Soon
In the Warriors App
- Leopardstar is the only RiverClan cat featured in the App. The App talks about RiverClan saying that every so often, a RiverClan cat is born with the strong aversion to getting wet. These cats are known as "drypaws", and they struggled to fit in with the other warriors who could swim and fish for prey. One RiverClan leader took a stance and gave drypaws a special job: den construction and flood protection for the camp. This job was perfect for them because their distaste for water made them work hard to keep it out of the living areas.
History of Ranks
|Name||Gained Rank In...||Left Rank In...|
|Sloefur||Before Cloudstar's Journey||Before Mapleshade's Vengeance|
|Spiketail||Before Mapleshade's Vengeance||Before Goosefeather's Curse|
|Hailstep||Before Goosefeather's Curse||Before Tallstar's Revenge|
|Shellheart||Before Mapleshade's Vengeance||Bluestar's Prophecy|
|Crookedjaw||Bluestar's Prophecy||Bluestar's Prophecy|
|Timberfur||Bluestar's Prophecy||Bluestar's Prophecy|
|Oakheart||Bluestar's Prophecy||Into the Wild|
|Leopardfur||Into the Wild||A Dangerous Path|
|Stonefur||A Dangerous Path||The Darkest Hour|
|Mistyfoot||The Darkest Hour||Moonrise|
|Name||Gained Rank In...||Left Rank In...|
|Dapplepelt||Moth Flight's Vision||Before "The Medicine Cats Deicde"|
|Kinktail||Before "The Medicine Cats Decide"||Before "A Night of Listening"|
|Meadowpelt||Before "A Night of Listening"||Before "A Loss for All Clans"|
|Graywing||Before "A Loss for All Clans"||Before Mapleshade's Vengeance|
|Icewhisker||Before Mapleshade's Vengeance||Before Mapleshade's Vengeance|
|Milkfur||Before Mapleshade's Vengeance||Before Mapleshade's Vengeance|
|Echosnout||Before Goosefeather's Curse||Before Mapleshade's Vengeance|
|Brambleberry||Before Mapleshade's Vengeance||Bluestar's Prophecy/Crookedstar's Promise|
|Mudfur||Bluestar's Prophecy/Crookedstar's Promise||Dawn|
- "RiverClan is like the river. Always flowing, yet never changing."
- —Mudfur about RiverClan Crookedstar's Promise, page 375
References and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 48
- ↑ Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 5
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 40
- ↑ Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 14
- ↑ Revealed in Sunset, page 96
- ↑ Revealed in Battles of the Clans, page 39
- ↑ Revealed in Cats of the Clans, page 58
- ↑ Revealed in Cats of the Clans, page 59
- ↑ Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 82
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 41
- ↑ Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 42
- ↑ Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 43
- ↑ Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 86
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 47
- ↑ Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 49
- ↑ Revealed in Path of Stars, page 304