|"I sensed when I decided to go with you to search for SkyClan that I might not survive the journey. You know, I never wanted to spend my last days as an elder, sitting around in camp. I wanted to die doing something important."|
|— Sandstorm to Alderpaw in The Apprentice's Quest, page 260|
In the Super Edition Arc
- Bluestar and Redtail watch her, Graypaw, and Dustpaw play-fighting in the camp clearing. Redtail purrs and remarks that the apprentices probably called their playing training. Sandpaw smiles back at him.
- She now has Sorrelpaw as an apprentice, just as Firestar promised her in The Darkest Hour. Sandstorm accompanied Firestar in his quest to restore SkyClan. She got separated from him in a flood, but later found him. Sandstorm and Firestar went to a gorge nearby and found a couple of kittypets, Cherry and Boris. They later taught them how to hunt and follow the warrior code. They also told the kittypets that they may be descended from Skyclan, due to their strong haunches and rough pads. They also told them that they may be related to a cat that they teased whom they called 'Moony'. Sandstorm later taught Echosong about basic herbs.
- Firestar goes to sleep in Smudge's garden to try and dream of the strange cats in his dream-which are revealed later to be SkyClan cats. Sandstorm and Graystripe both think that Firestar is going to tell them that he is going back to live with his Twolegs to become a kittypet once again, and she asks him, devastated, how he can abandon her and his Clan just to go look for other cats. Firestar tells her he would never do that and asks her to travel with him to rebuild SkyClan. Delighted, she agrees, until she remembers her apprentice, Sorrelpaw. Firestar says that Dustpelt can be her temporary mentor until they return.
- While traveling during a storm, Sandstorm suggests that they spend the night in an abandoned Twoleg nest. But as Firestar steps inside he becomes frightened from his kittypet origins and insists that they find another place to rest. While they are looking, a flood comes and Sandstorm is swept away by a giant wave. Firestar regrets the argument over his feelings for Spottedleaf that he and Sandstorm had been having moments before she was lost, as well as not staying in the Twoleg nest. He spends the next few chapters of the book desperately searching for his beloved mate. He eventually finds her with the help of some loners and she insists on playing an equal role in the quest of rebuilding SkyClan. Sandstorm does most of the hunting during the book, and even manages to catch a fish, despite not being a RiverClan cat. According to Firestar, she acted like a WindClan cat when she had caught a rabbit and a RiverClan cat when she caught a fish.
- Sandstorm takes up the role of a part-time medicine cat for SkyClan when Patchfoot is injured by rats. She gets very upset when Spottedleaf comes to help Sandstorm heal Patchfoot, and Firestar lets it slip that he and Spottedleaf had seen each other before in his dream. Sandstorm insists that Firestar loves Spottedleaf and comments that two had always seemed to belong together when Firestar first joined the Clan. Spottedleaf couldn't choose a mate, even if she desperately wanted to. Firestar also tells Sandstorm he would love her for all the moons to come and she would never be second-best to him. Though Spottedleaf would always be Firestar's first love, he reveals his love for Sandstorm belonged in the life they shared. Sandstorm accepts, although she gets slightly tense when Firestar brings up the name of Spottedleaf again.
- In the fight against the rats, Sandstorm refuses to leave Firestar in the barn and later chooses to save him over Rainfur, who dies. Together, Sandstorm and Firestar leave SkyClan and return home to ThunderClan.
- In the epilogue, she gives birth to Firestar's kits, Squirrelkit and Leafkit, meaning that she truly accepted Spottedleaf's advice. It is suspected by Firestar that she named Leafkit after Leafstar, or even Spottedleaf. She also mentions that she named Squirrelkit after her large, bushy tail.
- Although not formally appearing, Sandstorm is mentioned and thought during various points within the book. Leafstar thinks to herself and wonders what Sandstorm and Firestar would have done during their times of trouble.
- Sandstorm is first seen addressing Bramblestar and telling him that he's still a young cat.
- Sandstorm and Graystripe become elders with Purdy at the end of the novel, while Graystripe remarks he will wait for Millie to come join him in the elders' den. Bramblestar remarks he saw Firestar weaving among the newly-made elders.
- More Coming Soon
- Sandstorm is mentioned several times as the cat who traveled with Firestar to rebuild SkyClan. Waspwhisker comments that she was brave, and that perhaps her and Firestar's kin will still be alive in ThunderClan.
In the The Prophecies Begin Arc
- Sandpaw is one of the older apprentices in ThunderClan, along with Dustpaw and Ravenpaw. Her mentor is Whitestorm.
- Sandpaw's father, Redtail, is killed in a battle against RiverClan, supposedly while fighting Oakheart. When she first meets Firepaw, she states he can sleep anywhere as long as it's not near her. Along with Dustpaw, she is hostile and continues to harass Firepaw throughout the book because he has kittypet blood. Graypaw and Firepaw often mention her and Dustpaw throughout the book while talking to each other. She is seen bragging about how she and Dustpaw get to go to the Gathering and the other apprentices don't. Sandpaw tells Firepaw that perhaps Bluestar thinks that a kittypet would be better off taking care of the sick in the camp. When Firepaw asks her what was she doing with Whitestorm, she said she was going to do battle training with him; he was going to teach her how a real warrior fights.
- When Lionheart tells Firepaw that he's going to the Moonstone with Bluestar, Sandpaw tells him that he had better see Spottedleaf, and Firepaw was surprised that there was no sourness in her voice. As Firepaw pads towards the fresh-kill pile, he notices that there is no fresh-kill, and Sandpaw tells him that she and Dustpaw ate the last two mice. Once Graypaw comes back from Spottedleaf's den, he talks to Firepaw, and Sandpaw tells them to shut up, because she and Dustpaw are trying to get sleep after they had gone on patrol.
- After Fireheart and Graystripe become warriors, she makes fun of them with Dustpaw. Her mentor, Whitestorm, scolds her and takes her out for battle training. Graystripe says he wishes they were catching blue squirrels. Fireheart tells him in confusion that blue squirrels don't exist. Graystripe points out that that was the point. Sandpaw joins Tigerclaw, Willowpelt, and Whitestorm on a patrol to help Fireheart and Graystripe, and their WindClan escorts in a border skirmish against RiverClan. Locked in a tussle with another warrior, she almost falls off the edge of the gorge, and is saved by Fireheart. At first she is angry and tells Fireheart that she can fight her own battles, but when she sees Whiteclaw fall off the edge she realizes that she was an inch away from death and how Fireheart had saved her. When Dustpaw mocked Fireheart about it, she looks at him with an uncomfortable glance, instead of taunting him, showing that she is beginning to realize that it was wrong.
- Throughout the book she gets closer to Fireheart, warming up to him considerably ever since Fireheart had saved her life. They patrol alone together at one point, and end up play-fighting and running together. She also demonstrates her fine hunting skills by catching them both a rabbit, and it is her idea to travel across the frozen river and raid RiverClan's territory as payback for RiverClan raiding ThunderClan's territory. Bluestar agrees and plans a raid, but the river has thawed by the time the raiding party reaches the shore.
- Later on, they share tongues before going to the Gathering- Fireheart is surprised and pleased by her friendliness, and sees Dustpaw staring in amazement and envy. Fireheart tries to reassure her about how long it's taking for her to receive her warrior name, saying that Bluestar is busy and is probably waiting for the right time. She, in turn, comforts him about Cloudkit, saying that of course he'd make it through leaf-bare, and that all kits get fevers. She even mentions how he'd be great at hunting in the snow, and would be able to stay out a long time because of his thick fur.
- When Cloudkit goes missing along with Brindleface's other kits, she accompanies Fireheart to help find them. They follow a scent for a while, but they finally realize that with the bad weather, they will need more cats to help search. They start to head back to camp, but they hear a squeak and find the kits. They ask the kits what they were doing, and Cloudkit replies that they were hunting, proudly showing his catch. They then take the kits safely back to camp.
- She fights in the battle against Brokentail and his rogues that attacked ThunderClan. She has one rogue pinned to the ground, and ends up clawing his belly so badly he squeals and she lets him go, so that he runs from the camp, still wailing. She then receives her warrior name along with Dustpaw, and is named Sandstorm, after Fireheart told Bluestar of their bravery when fighting off the rogues. She keeps her vigil with Dustpaw, now named Dustpelt.
- She catches Fireheart and Graystripe going in the opposite direction when the Clan is leaving the Gathering. Fireheart asks her to tell Bluestar that they are going hunting when they are really going to see Ravenpaw. She happily agrees to tell Bluestar. She sleeps next to Dustpelt when Fireheart returns and tells him she told Tigerclaw, but he didn't believe her. She then sleeps next to Fireheart, receiving a glare and snort of disapproval from Dustpelt.
- When Tigerclaw, Longtail, and Fireheart come back from the patrol, Tigerclaw explains about Fireheart's attempt to cross the branch, which impresses Sandstorm. When Bluestar orders Fireheart to make sure he's healthy and be checked by Yellowfang and Cinderpaw, Sandstorm says that when he's done to come to the warriors den so they can eat.
- Later on, she runs into Fireheart and Graystripe when they are on their way to visit Graystripe's kits in the nursery. Fireheart asks if he will see her in the den later which she replies with saying she'd see him, but to keep Graystripe away from her, showing that she doesn't like the fact that Graystripe has a mate in a different Clan. When Leopardfur, Stonefur, and Mistyfoot come to retrieve Silverstream and Graystripe's kits, Leopardfur says that they belong to RiverClan and Sandstorm is extremely unhappy, and shows distaste for Leopardfur, wondering who the RiverClan deputy thinks she is, telling ThunderClan what to do.
- She is sent out on a hunting patrol by Tigerclaw to Snakerocks, but is fetched by Cloudpaw once he and Fireheart discover that rogues are going to attack the Clan. However, her patrol returns shortly after the fight is over and fetches Tigerclaw out of Bluestar's den along with Brackenfur. Tigerclaw is accused of trying to kill Bluestar and is sent into exile. When moonhigh has come and gone and Bluestar still hasn't named a new deputy, she tells Fireheart that she is annoyed that Bluestar won't set paw out of her den. She is among the first and few cats to congratulate Fireheart for becoming deputy.
- On the way to the Gathering, she tells Fireheart about her fears about Bluestar, saying that she'd changed. Fireheart has noticed too, but he convinces her that Bluestar is still the same cat she has always been, reassuring Sandstorm.
- She is seen waking up Fireheart, excitedly telling him that they'd captured two ShadowClan warriors, which are revealed to be Littlecloud and Whitethroat. Later, when she goes with Fireheart to take the ShadowClan warriors back, she and Fireheart discover a tunnel under the Thunderpath that leads straight to ShadowClan's territory. They both are excited to get back to camp to tell Bluestar. When they get back, Fireheart tells Bluestar, but she seems to not care, telling him not to say a word about the tunnel to anyone else. Sandstorm and Fireheart are both disappointed about her reaction.
- When Cloudpaw starts eating kittypet food, Fireheart tells Sandstorm about what his apprentice is doing. Dustpelt sneers at Fireheart for not training his apprentice enough. Sandstorm tells him to leave Fireheart alone, saying that being spiteful toward him isn't impressing anyone. Later, when Cloudpaw is stolen away by Twolegs, Fireheart is devastated, and tells Sandstorm that he now has no one in the Clan he's close to. This hurts Sandstorm, knowing that she loves him, and says that he has her and she apparently didn't mean anything. Later on, Fireheart apologizes, and Sandstorm is quick to forgive him.
- Her love for Fireheart now becomes very obvious, although Fireheart seems unaware of it, so that even Cinderpelt told him, that every cat in the Clan could see that Sandstorm was fond of him.
- After telling Fireheart that Cloudpaw just needs time to grow up and he will be fine, she travels with him to the Twoleg farms near Barley and Ravenpaw's barn with Fireheart and Ravenpaw to find the stolen Cloudpaw. On the way to the Twoleg nest, she and Fireheart were chased by two dogs, but manage to climb a tree before being attacked. On their return journey, they are stopped by the WindClan warriors Mudclaw, Deadfoot, and Mudclaw's apprentice, Webpaw. She and Cloudpaw drive away Mudclaw. Throughout the book she becomes a cat for Fireheart to confide in.
- When Fireheart decides to try to rescue Halftail, Patchpelt, and Bramblekit during the fire, Sandstorm protests, telling him that he shouldn't go back in there. She offers to go back in, along with Cinderpelt and Yellowfang, but it is Yellowfang who goes back with him.
- When they rebuild the camp after the fire, Sandstorm and Fireheart argue. He snaps at Sandstorm and Cloudpaw. Fireheart tries to make up for the recent quarrel, but she ignores him when he comes out of Bluestar's den. When they are at the Gathering and Fireheart gets ready to attend, Sandstorm brushes past, encouraging him and says he did well on the Highrock, forgiving Fireheart for the fight.
- When Fireheart chooses to go behind Bluestar's back and arrange a peace meeting with WindClan, she says what a bad idea it is, asking Dustpelt if he agrees with her. He says that he thinks it is a good idea, for once choosing Fireheart's side instead of Sandstorm's. She eventually agrees to go to Fourtrees with the patrol, although she feels very bad about lying to Bluestar.
- When Fireheart chooses Brackenfur to mentor Tawnypaw instead of Sandstorm, who is more experienced as a warrior and still doesn't have an apprentice, she becomes irritable towards him and refuses to speak to him. Fireheart chooses Brackenfur because he wants to keep Sandstorm safe, since Tawnypaw is the daughter of Tigerstar. He was afraid that Tigerstar will hurt the mentors of his kits.
- On the morning before the dog patrol, Fireheart approaches Sandstorm and asks her to come with him. She says she understands, and then Fireheart apologizes finally, and tells her he loves her. She says she loves him too, and she goes on the patrol with him. Sandstorm tells Fireheart that she could see how torn he must have felt, between loyalty to the Clan and loyalty to the warrior code. She also tells him that she too is torn, between loyalty to the warrior code and loyalty to him.
- Sandstorm's mother, Brindleface, is slaughtered by Tigerstar to lead the dogs toward the ThunderClan camp to give the dogs a taste of cat blood. She is also one of the cats in the line to the gorge, since she is the fastest cat in her Clan.
- Sandstorm and Firestar are now openly mates. It is hard for Sandstorm to comprehend that it will be harder for Firestar to spend time with her, now that he is leader, although she soon gets used to it. Firestar later considers her for being his new deputy but he realizes that he can't choose her because she had never had an apprentice and he fears that she isn't ready yet to assume the deputy's duties. He also sadly realizes that Sandstorm not having an apprentice is his fault.
- Before the battle with BloodClan, Firestar is comforted by Sandstorm when she talks to him, saying that although he might never see some of the cats going into battle today they will all fight to the finish. Firestar doesn't want to be lonely, and invites her to sleep in his den, in which she agrees. Firestar says she's beautiful when the moonlight makes her pelt silver, and he thinks about how precious she is to him. Sandstorm is seen training Sorrelkit, Sootkit, and Rainkit how to fight in case of an attack on the camp. The three all argue that they want Sandstorm to be their mentor. Sandstorm quietly suggests to Firestar that she wouldn't say no if he wanted to give her Sorrelkit for an apprentice, to which Firestar agrees and promises Sorrelkit for his mate to mentor.
- Sandstorm fights with LionClan against BloodClan, and helps them win. She also witnesses Firestar make Graystripe deputy after Whitestorm's death, and yowls approval with Dustpelt. Firestar is seen running towards her after the battle with BloodClan, thanking StarClan. Firestar gets dizzy, and begins to stumble on the way to Cinderpelt. Sandstorm supports him, saying he's lost blood, and Firestar insists he's tired. Graystripe is yowling in fright that Firestar might lose another life, but Firestar says that Graystripe won't become Clan leader for quite some time.
In the New Prophecy Arc
- Sorrelpaw, Sandstorm's apprentice, is made a warrior. Her warrior ceremony is delayed because she had ventured too close to the Thunderpath while hunting a squirrel. A monster hit her, injuring her shoulder. Her warrior name is Sorreltail. Her brothers are very proud of her when she was finally made a warrior, as they cheered the loudest.
- Sandstorm also stops many fights between Squirrelpaw, her daughter, and Brambleclaw. When Sorrelpaw receives her warrior name, Sandstorm looks proudly at her, as she had suffered too when Sorrelpaw had been injured. When Firestar asks her if Sorrelpaw is ready to be a warrior, she states that she will be a warrior that the Clan will be proud of. Sandstorm is the one who points out that the fire-and-tiger prophecy mentions fire, tiger, and trouble, but it did not say that fire and tiger would cause the trouble, and agrees with Firestar that it might mean they would save them from trouble. She offers to go on the patrol with Firestar, and tells Leafpaw that Cinderpelt would be waiting for her and that she was to not tell anyone about the prophecy.
- She is seen telling Firestar that he needs to be gentle when he scolds Squirrelpaw, for being tough only makes her do the opposite of what one tells her to do.
- She is seen many times throughout the book, comforting her mate and leader, Firestar. Although many cats, including her own daughter, have gone missing or have died she remains calm and collected through the experience.
- She is seen on many patrols, such as the time she goes with Firestar and some other warriors to talk of peace with WindClan. Being a great hunter, she is able to catch much prey for ThunderClan, keeping them strong. She also goes to hunt for Brightheart and Cloudtail, but had no luck finding them. She remains worried for her daughter, Squirrelpaw, hoping she returns soon.
- Sandstorm is seen in the prologue, matching Firestar's pace as they pad toward Fourtrees with the Clan. She pants, asking her mate if he believes their two daughters would return. Firestar responds that they could only pray that they would. Uncertain, Sandstorm glances at Graystripe, asking how their daughters will know where to look for ThunderClan and if he thinks they'd know that ThunderClan had gone.
- When Firestar debates sending another patrol to find Leafpaw, Sandstorm mentions to Graystripe that it was the hardest decision he'd have to make. As Graystripe hisses that he had to put the Clan first, Sandstorm closes her eyes, mentioning the losses of cats throughout the current moon. When Dustpelt objects to uniting the Clans, Sandstorm tells him that things were worse, asking how a Clan could survive without kits.
- As they near Fourtrees, Sandstorm hears roaring, and whispers a question, eyes wide. She watches alongside her Clan as the four ancient oaks are destroyed. She prays to StarClan to stop the Twolegs, but is unanswered. Afterward, Sandstorm murmurs that the forest was dead and there was no hope for any of the cats. She is then reassured by her mate, Firestar.
- Sandstorm rejoices in the return of both her kits, Squirrelpaw, who had journeyed to the sun-drown-place, and Leafpaw, who had been captured by Twolegs.
- When Graystripe is captured by Twolegs, Sandstorm and Brackenfur are the cats who do most of his jobs as deputy. Sandstorm also does her best to comfort Firestar after Graystripe is captured and when it is time to leave Graystripe behind.
- She helps ThunderClan settle into their new home. Being one of the best hunters in the Clan, she helps stock up the fresh-kill pile in the new camp.
- She also supports the idea to save WindClan from Mudclaw and Hawkfrost's plan to overthrow Onewhisker so Mudclaw can become leader.
- Sandstorm is seen with Brambleclaw when Squirrelflight accidentally crosses the border into ShadowClan territory. She seems surprised when Ashfur defends Squirrelflight after Brambleclaw scolds her. She is also mentioned after Birchpaw's apprentice ceremony when she tells Squirrelflight that she shouldn't let her problems get in the way of her duty to the Clan.
- Leafpool approaches Sandstorm when she is troubled with her relationship with Crowfeather, but Sandstorm is talking to Dustpelt about the best hunting grounds, and she only gives Leafpool a friendly nod before returning to the debate.
- When Brambleclaw tells Firestar that he needs to get a new deputy, Sandstorm agrees and helps him convince her leader and her mate. After a lot of convincing, Firestar loses hope, and admits Graystripe is probably dead.
In the Power of Three Arc
- Her new apprentice is Honeypaw, who is the kit of her former apprentice, Sorreltail.
- In the prologue of the book, it is revealed that Firestar never shared the prophecy Skywatcher had given him with Sandstorm. Sandstorm is seen mostly in short scenes, often alongside Firestar.
- Sandstorm is seen with Firestar when Leafpool and Jaypaw bring back news from the Moonpool about RiverClan being in trouble. Firestar decides not to help RiverClan. However, Sandstorm shows no opinion about agreeing or disagreeing with Firestar.
- She goes on a patrol with Dustpelt, Hazelpaw, and her apprentice Honeypaw when two WindClan apprentices almost cross the ThunderClan border while chasing a squirrel. Dustpelt gets angry when he sees Harepaw and Breezepaw chasing squirrels; he questions WindClan why they are chasing ThunderClan prey. Two WindClan warriors, Tornear and Whitetail, explain that they have woodland in their territory so it makes sense to use it. Dustpelt retorts back, saying that WindClan has always hunted rabbits, not squirrels. Tornear and Dustpelt are about to get into a fight but Sandstorm manages to calm Dustpelt down while they return.
- When the ThunderClan cats return to the camp, Dustpelt tells Firestar that WindClan may be planning to invade. However, Sandstorm points out that there is no WindClan scent on the wrong side of the border and they can do whatever they want in their own territory, managing to calm everyone down again.
- She is seen on a patrol with Brackenfur, Dustpelt, and Hollypaw when she smells strange scents that later are revealed to be mountain cats from the Tribe of Rushing Water. Sandstorm is slightly annoyed when her apprentice, Honeypaw, rambles on and on about Berrynose.
- When a ThunderClan patrol scents WindClan on their territory, Firestar suggests they go talk to Onestar. Sandstorm disagrees and wants to fight instead. When Squirrelflight gets injured, she is deeply worried. When Firestar says she should eat and rest, Sandstorm refuses, saying that Squirrelflight is her kit, and she isn't leaving her.
- Sandstorm, Brambleclaw, Hollypaw, and Brackenfur go to find out why WindClan is stealing food from ThunderClan territory. They meet Harespring, Owlwhisker, and Ashfoot, the WindClan deputy. Harespring attacks Brambleclaw, and with one swipe, Brambleclaw pins him to the ground in turn. Ashfoot begs Brambleclaw to let him go, and to go back to their own territory, saying that Onestar had nothing to say to them, thus shows how desperate WindClan was.
- Her apprentice Honeypaw becomes a warrior, now known as Honeyfern.
- She appears in this book quite often. She is on the border patrol when Birchfall gets into a quarrel with Snaketail, a ShadowClan warrior. She chastises him, starting the fight. Later, she tells Hollyleaf that Firestar is very proud of her and that she shouldn't worry so much.
- She was seen very worried for Firestar when he loses a life to greencough, and Brambleclaw comforts her.
- Sandstorm continues to be a temporary mentor to Foxpaw, while Squirrelflight recovers from her injuries.
- She takes a walk with Jayfeather because she is concerned about her daughter Leafpool's touchy, nervous persona, and wants to discuss her concerns with him.
- When Sol is taken into ThunderClan for questioning about Ashfur's death, Firestar tells his mate to secure the brambles on his den, and she dips her head in response.
- As ThunderClan heads towards the Gathering island, Sandstorm mentions how she misses Fourtrees. Firestar comments on how she sounds just like an elder. Playfully, Sandstorm says that she'll be the crankiest elder the Clan has ever seen, and Mousefur will look nice and sweet compared to her. Graystripe, who had overheard, has doubts about her being that cranky, saying that Mousefur can have a tongue as sharp as a thorn when she wants to.
- Sandstorm is disappointed in Hollyleaf when she announces to the rest of the Clans that Squirrelflight is actually not their mother, but Leafpool, her other daughter, is. She is also seen staring at Hollyleaf with sorrow and disappointment.
In the Omen of the Stars Arc
- Sandstorm is first seen with Firestar, Graystripe, and Thornclaw after Firestar gets attacked by a fox, and he soon loses a life after Jayfeather isn't able to help him. She is very worried for her mate. She is later on a water patrol with Leafpool, Briarpaw, and Bumblepaw when she catches Lionblaze dragging a clump of battered wood onto some pebbles as a test to see how well Dovepaw can hear. Sandstorm asks what he is doing and Lionblaze replies that he was trying an experiment. After Lionblaze and Dovepaw get back, Sandstorm is the first to greet them.
- During a Gathering, she hushes Dovepaw and Blossompaw when they whisper as the leaders talk, threatening to send them home if they can't be quiet. She is also seen padding up to Firestar's side after he loses a life during the battle with ShadowClan.
- Right after ThunderClan comes home from the battle with ShadowClan, Jayfeather checks wounds, when Briarlight asks where Firestar is. Jayfeather tells her that he is in his den with Sandstorm.
- When Sandstorm cleans out the elders' den, she starts coughing. Firestar comes over to her and asks her what is wrong, but she claims that she only swallowed a snowflake. A few days later, Jayfeather and Firestar notice her coughing and wheezing again. She insists it was just snowflakes that she was swallowing, but Brightheart tells her that everyone was swallowing snowflakes, but only she was coughing. When she catches whitecough, Jayfeather sends her to his den, as more cats are getting ill from whitecough.
- Later, Dovepaw tells Tigerheart that Jayfeather grows his herbs at the abandoned Twoleg den. This results in ShadowClan demanding the herbs from ThunderClan in return for Ivypaw who was captured by Tigerheart and a few other ShadowClan cats. Dovepaw then worries that Sandstorm and the other sick cats may die because of her disloyalty to ThunderClan.
- It is mentioned by Jayfeather that she is recovering from the sickness, but she still has a cough. She is seen emerging from the warriors' den and joining Firestar.
- Later when Jayfeather asks to see Firestar, she is in his den with him. Seeing that Jayfeather would like to talk to Firestar alone, she says she will go check on Poppyfrost's kits.
- Sandstorm is seen once Sorreltail had arrived from a patrol near the WindClan border, claiming that Birchfall and Ivypool were arguing with Heathertail, Breezepelt, Furzepaw, and Boulderpaw because Birchfall and Ivypool were washing their paws in the stream, in which WindClan claims that it's their territory. After Firestar had finished his sentence, Sandstorm puts in asking why the two couldn't use the lake to wash their paws.
- Later on, Graystripe assigns Blossomfall and Bumblestripe to find some feathers for Purdy's nest. Blossomfall and Bumblestripe complain about always getting stuck with the apprentice tasks. Graystripe replies when they learn how to not talk back to a senior warrior, in which makes Sandstorm approach Graystripe and poke him in his side. Sandstorm calms him down saying that they do get stuck with the apprentice tasks often and offers to go with them. And with Sandstorm's words, Firestar agrees and appoints new apprentices.
- Sandstorm appears again at the entrance of the den with Cherrypaw and Molepaw, the new apprentices. She says they've got some cobwebs for him and the two apprentices bound up to him, Molepaw boasting that Sandstorm lifted up a log for them to grab out the cobwebs. Sandstorm then says that it's not a problem to Jayfeather's thank you, and is then about to depart until Jayfeather asks her to find Sorreltail for him. Sandstorm does so and walks off to find her former apprentice at the medicine cat's request.
- Sandstorm is later seen sitting with Firestar from Sol's return. She is then assigned to lead a patrol along the WindClan border.
- When Jayfeather is introducing Cinderheart to her past life, Sandstorm is on another patrol with Firestar and Graystripe, Sandstorm teases Cinderheart, then Cinderpelt who was picking out celandine, asking her if she was picking flowers again. Cinderpelt informs her that if she has a problem with that, she had better bring it up with Yellowfang, and Graystripe tells her how she doesn't want to get her ears clawed off.
- When WindClan is about to attack ThunderClan from the underground tunnels, Sandstorm is seen in Hollyleaf's patrol. When they are about to enter the tunnels, Hollyleaf orders Sandstorm to take the rear of the patrol in case trouble emerges from behind. Sandstorm obeys, and during the fighting, Sandstorm, Ivypool, and Mousewhisker take their places in the back of the patrol until the attackers are forced backward towards the cavern with the river. Afterwards, she is then seen challenging Whiskernose when he claims that ThunderClan always acts better than the rest of the Clans because of the Great Journey and the help WindClan received before. In retort, she asks how he is supposed to know that, since he wasn't even kitted then.
- Sandstorm is seen trying to get Firestar to not fight, saying that he only has one life left. She asks what the Clan would do without him, and Firestar simply answers that they would fight harder. She then tells him she loves him, and he in turn replies that he loves her too.
- When the cats from the Place of No Stars launch their invasion, she is attacked by Mapleshade. Mapleshade says she had everything she ever wanted: a mate who loves her, kits who she could watch grow up and have kits of their own, and the respect of her Clanmates. Mapleshade has her jaws on Sandstorm's neck, ready to kill her, but Spottedleaf appears and throws Mapleshade away from her. Firestar runs in and throws Mapleshade away, and Sandstorm then lunges at Mapleshade and chases her out of the territory. Yellowfang is seen telling both her and Firestar it was Spottedleaf's destiny to save Sandstorm. She is also seen pressing closer to Firestar, as he grieves for Spottedleaf and her second death.
- When Firestar runs out to fight Tigerstar, Sandstorm tries to help, but Sorreltail pulls her back by the scruff, telling her that this is Firestar's fight and that she could not change his destiny.
- After Firestar's lifeless body is seen after the fight with Tigerstar, Sandstorm instantly rushes up to his side, calling his name. She crouches down beside his body and presses her nose in his fur, whispering and sobbing, stating that he shouldn't have wasted his final life. Sandstorm is informed that he didn't waste it, and that he died defending his Clan and died a warrior's death. She listens to Jayfeather as he announces which cat gave each life to him, and she sobs when the life Spottedleaf's gave him was mentioned, which was love. Firestar then rises from his body and he touches his muzzle with hers before leaving with the other StarClan cats, showing their continuing love.
- After Firestar's spirit disappears, she is the first to call out Bramblestar's new name, which the rest of the Clan quickly joins her in doing so.
In the A Vision of Shadows Arc
- Sandstorm is first mentioned as Leafpool and Jayfeather go to the Moonpool for the medicine cat Gathering. Leafpool says that they need catmint, but Jayfeather disagrees that Sandstorm, Graystripe, Millie, and Purdy are perfectly healthy, and he tells the tabby she-cat that she coddles them too much.
- After Alderpaw and Sparkpaw are apprenticed, Cherryfall tells the pair that they must go make the elders more comfortable by doing the standard apprentice task of checking for ticks, where Sandstorm will be waiting. Inside the elder's den, Alderpaw cleans Graystripe's ticks and Sparkpaw does Purdy's, while Sandstorm and Millie look on, patiently waiting their turn. As Alderpaw cleans Graystripe's ticks, he briefly looks up to see Sandstorm lovingly gazing at her grandkits as she settles herself more comfortably in the bracken of her nest. She says that she herself remembers when their mother was first made an apprentice, with Dustpelt as her mentor. She adds that they will never know who her great mentor was, as via he died in the Great Storm, but he was one of their best warriors, and didn't put up with any nonsense. Sandstorm exclaims that Squirrelflight was still a match for him. Alderpaw asks what exactly she did, and Sandstorm sighs, asking what she didn't get into do. She lists that Squirrelflight would slip out of camp to hunt on her own, get stuck in bushes, and fall into streams, and adds that Dustpelt had once said to her that if her kit wouldn't shape up, he would claw her pelt off and hang it on a bush to frighten the foxes. Sparkpaw stares at Sandstorm, exclaiming that he wouldn't have, and Sandstorm agrees, eyes alight with amusement, but she explains that Dustpelt had to be tough with her, as he saw how much she had to offer her Clan, but knew that she wouldn't live up to her potential unless she learned discipline. Alderpaw agrees, but Graystripe tells the apprentice to continue with his ticks, and Millie glances at Sandstorm, adding that they have also been waiting for moons.
- When Alderpaw becomes a medicine cat apprentice, Jayfeather assigns him the task of doing the elders' ticks first, and when the apprentice reaches the elders' den, only Sandstorm is there. The ginger she-cat greets him with a friendly look in her eyes, and she states that she is glad to see him. Sandstorm explains that Graystripe and Millie have gone for a walk and Purdy is sunning himself somewhere, and adds that she has a huge tick on her shoulder, just where she can't get at it. Alderpaw parts the elder's fur to find the tick, then dabs mouse bile on it, and Sandstorm wriggles her shoulders gratefully as the tick falls off. She tells Alderpaw that it is much better, but guesses that there is something wrong, and asks if he wants to tell her. Alderpaw shakes his head, but Sandstorm brushes her tail along his side and mews that there is no shame in sometimes being sad. She goes on that there is no reason not to show it, and with a faint mrrow of amusement, she adds that he isn't very good at hiding it anyways. The elder's joke makes Alderpaw feel a little better, and he continues searching Sandstorm's fur for more ticks as she goes on talking to him in a gentle voice. She says that he is her kin, and he should feel comfortable telling him things. Sandstorm says that she might be able to help, and says that because the others aren't there right now, it could stay between the two of them. Alderpaw confesses that Jayfeather was furious when he gave Cherryfall a poultice of comfrey without asking, and Sandstorm exclaims that it is a horrible thing to do, and that Bramblestar will certainly trow him out of the Clan. Alderpaw briefly thinks that she means it, before realizing that Sandstorm is joking, and the old she-cat goes on, more seriously, that he shouldn't feel bad, as he was trying to do his best and deserve praise for that. Sandstorm goes on that he will know better for next time, and being an apprentice is all about learning and growing, so he is lucky to have the opportunity. She adds that he is fortunate to have such wise cats like Jayfeather and Leafpool to guide him, though Alderpaw stammers that he doesn't want to disappoint them. Sandstorm asks if Jayfeather seemed upset, and that she doesn't mean cranky but actually upset, and Alderpaw thinks about it before meowing at last that he didn't. The ginger she-cat continues that it was because he wants the apprentice to learn and he is doing that. She adds that he shouldn't expect to understand everything right away, as he is thoughtful and cautious and that will serve him well as a medicine cat. Alderpaw thinks that she really knows him well, and that it is nice to have wiser cats give him advice, and after a moment, Sandstorm asks if there is anything else bothering Alderpaw.
- Alderpaw thinks back to his vision at the Moonpool, and Sandstorm's guidance had inspired him, with the encouraging look in her eyes making him want to confide in her. He tells her about his meeting with Firestar the previous night and the unfamiliar Clan he had watched, and Sandstorm narrows her eyes, her green gaze suddenly intense. She asks him to describe the cats he saw and tell her as much as he can remember, and Alderpaw begins that the cat he thought was leader was a cream-and-pale brown tabby she-cat; there was a powerful ginger tom; and a small silver-gray tabby she-cat, who looked up at him as if knowing he was there. Sandstorm jumps to her paws, pelt bristling with excitement, and she exclaims that she knows those cats. The elder explains that they sound like Leafstar; her deputy, Sharpclaw; and their medicine cat, Echosong. Alderpaw wonders why he would dream about real cats he has never heard of, but Sandstorm's green eyes glow, and she says that it was a vision. Alderpaw is surprised and begins to share his older kin's excitement, and he asks about the cats he saw, to which Sandstorm replies that they are from another Clan, SkyClan, who may need their help. Alderpaw gapes at the ginger she-cat, surprised that there is a Clan he never heard of, but he thinks that he must believe Sandstorm, because of how wise she is. He suddenly asks why he would see the vision, and Sandstorm calmly asks why it shouldn't be him, since if he wasn't supposed to have the vision, he wouldn't have seen it. She goes on that StarClan chose him, and he must honor their choice, meaning that he must tell Leafpool and Jayfeather. Alderpaw mutters that Jayfeather would claw his ears off, but Sandstorm briskly mews that that is nonsense, and she tells the apprentice that he must stop getting his tail in a twist, and go tell the others. Alderpaw then does as the older cat tells him. He announces his news to Leafpool and Jayfeather, who are at first annoyed with him, but after Alderpaw reveals that he had a vision from StarClan the two Medicine Cats are instantly alert and eager to hear more. Leafpool says that he must go and talk to Bramblestar about it. At first the young Medicine Cat apprentice is eager to talk to the ThunderClan leader, but his exitement fades after Jayfeather says that Leafpool and Jayfeather must go alone to talk to Bramblestar.
- Bramblestar later calls Alderpaw to see him. At first Alderpaw was afraid that he was in trouble with his leader, but then Bramblestar goes on to say that Alderpaw's vision means that he has been chosen to go on a very special quest to find the cats of SkyClan. When they told Sandstorm, the elderly cat insisted that she must go on the mission with Alderpaw- if the cats of SkyClan were in trouble, she was going to help. After some protest Bramblestar reluctantly agreed with her, realizing that she had a good point- the SkyClan cats would be more likely to welcome them if there was a cat that they recognized. She was also the only living cat that knew the way to the gorge were SkyClan lived. Squirrelflight, however, was rightly horrified, saying that it was bad enough to let her son go, and her mother was just to much to take. Sandstorm reassured her daughter, saying that she was old but still strong. It was decided; Sandstorm would go along on Alderpaw's quest to find SkyClan. Bramblestar announced to the Clan about the special quest Alderpaw would embark on along with Sandstorm. Some cats in the crowd were confused as to why Sandstorm would be going. Brightheart said with an affectionate glance at the pale ginger she-cat that Sandstorm was an elder and that she had earned her rest while Millie and Graystripe exchanged shocked glances. Bramblestar then said that Sandstorm would have clawed his ears off if he forbade her from going, and Sandstorm replied with a snarky "as if I would have." Bramblestar ignored her comment and said that they must choose warriors to go with the group. Sparkpaw, Alderpaw's feisty sister was the first to ask if she could join. Squirrelflight stated that Bramblestar would choose who would go while Alderpaw pleaded if she could go. Squirrelflight murmured something inaudible in his ear, obviously not liking the idea of both her kits going off on a dangerous mission. After some talking with his mate and deputy Bramblestar announced that she could come along with Cherryfall and Molewhisker. They were to leave at dawn the next morning. They set off as soon as the sun rises, and Jayfeather gives them chamomile to ease tiredness and burnet for strength. Sparkpaw commented that the herbs tasted peculiar while Alderpaw ate his obediently. The young apprentice overhears Bramblestar talking to Sandstorm. He hears Bramblestar say that if his secret got out it could be devistating for the Clan. While Alderpaw was worrying about what his father had said, Sandstorm walks over and nuzzles him, her eyes shining with pride for him. She says that he looks worried, and Alderpaw said that he had heard what his father and she had been saying. He was afraid that Bramblestar didn't trust him, but Sandstorm disagrees, saying that Bramblestar doesn't want any cat to know and he was also feeling guilt about what the four Clans let happen to SkyClan long ago. Alderpaw wonders why his father would be feeling guilty about that when it happened seasons and seasons before he was born? But all he said was "I'm sure I'll understand one day," and Sandstorm responds, saying that maybe he will in time. Alderpaw thanks her, expressing how glad he was to have her along on the quest. After Bramblestar announced that the questing cats were leaving, Alderpaw, Sandstorm, Sparkpaw, Molewhisker and Cherryfall set out.
- After journeying for a little while, Sparkpaw says that they should stop and hunt. Alderpaw disagrees, saying that they should hunt later and Sandstorm said that they had to cross a lot of Thunderpaths. She said that Graystripe had helped her work out a route so they didn't have to cross the mountains, but that would mean more dangers from Twolegs and monsters. Sparkpaw scoffed at the word 'Thunderpath,' saying that they were no big deal. Sandstorm bristled at that, calling her a mouse-brain and saying that lots of cats have died on Thunderpaths. Alderpaw curled his lip, ready to snap at his sister, but Sandstorm forestalled him and said in a calm voice that this was Alderpaw's quest and Alderpaw's vision and that she must listen to him; they would not start to hunt before they left their own territory. Sparkpaw reluctantly agreed and muttered an apology. Alderpaw was proud that Sandstorm had backed him up and announced him leader, but he didn't like to see his sister looking miserable and hurt. He brushed his tail along her side in encouragement and told her that it was okay. They crossed WindClan's territory without any run-ins with WindClan warriors. They crossed the border and neared the horseplace. Alderpaw said that Sandstorm should lead now because she was the only one who had come this way. They climbed a ridge to a thicket of trees with a bare ridge many fox-lengths above them. Sandstorm's green eyes had glowed with a distant faraway memory as she remembered the night that they had arrived at their new territory by the lake. Sandstorm specified that it had been one of the best nights of her life as she saw the spirits of her ancestors reflecting in the water. They passed the horseplace safely, and they looked out across a wide valley with stretches of woodland and a Thunderpath trailing across it. Sparkpaw commented how big the world was and she asked if Alderpaw could see the place in his vision. Sandstorm replied, saying that he couldn't because the place was much too far away. Sparkpaw said "great StarClan! You mean there's more of it?" Sandstorm said that there was much more, and they had to get going. When the cats came in view of the Thunderpath, Sandstorm ordered Sparkpaw not to cross until she said so. Sparkpaw nodded and agreed with her. The cats heard some Twolegs, and Sandstorm ordered the others to halt. Sparkpaw asked if they could go and see the Twolegs. Sandstorm hesitated, saying that it wasn't a bad idea to see what they were like but she reminded her that they were not here to gawk at them. They crept through the trees until they came in sight of five Twolegs sitting in the clearing with a red, glittering monster nearby. Sparkpaw asked Sandstorm what it was, and Sandstorm replied saying that it was a monster and that they would kill you with their large black paws. However the monster appeared to be asleep, so the cats no longer worried about it. Sparkpaw noticed the Twolegs eating some 'prey' and stuffing it in their mouths. Sparkpaw commented on how good it smelled. Alderpaw wondered if they were sick because they didn't have any fur, but Sandstorm said that that was the way Twolegs were. At that moment a Twoleg kit spotted them, and it started to wave it's arms and scream. The cats tensed to run, but Sandstorm ordered them to hide so they wouldn't get separated. The cats emerged as finally the Twoleg kit's shrieks died away. Sparkpaw was staring at the Twoleg food that was being dropped into a Twoleg thing that Alderpaw thought looked like 'a rock with a tiny cave at the top.' The Twolegs then left in their monster, and Sparkpaw wondered if the monster had eaten them. Sandstorm shook her head, saying that the monsters let the Twolegs inside but she didn't understand why. When Molewhisker suggests they eat the Twoleg food, she is reluctant because warriors don't eat kittypet food. Cherryfall argues that it's not kittypet food, but Twoleg food. Sandstorm agrees reluctantly, and she shares a big piece of a bird with Sparkpaw.
- More Coming Soon
- She does not formally appear, but she is mentioned several times by Alderheart.
In the Ravenpaw's Path Arc
- Sandstorm is seen with Leafkit and Squirrelkit. Ravenpaw and his friend, Barley, approach the nursery. When Squirrelkit asks who they are, Sandstorm tells her that they helped ThunderClan in the battle against BloodClan. Ravenpaw compliments the kits and plays with them.
- Sandstorm is seen trying to stop Squirrelkit and Leafkit from going with the other cats, but they end up waking up all of ThunderClan, despite their mother's warnings to be careful.
In the Graystripe's Adventure Arc
- Sandstorm is seen during Graystipe's delirium, calling out his name.
In the SkyClan and the Stranger Arc
- She does not appear, but Leafstar names her kit Stormkit in honor of her, and Firekit after Firestar.
- When Petalnose, Patchfoot, and Fallowfern tell Leafstar about their thoughts on leaving SkyClan, Petalnose reminds Leafstar about the rats that drove the first Clan out, and that she and Patchfoot later fought them again with Firestar and Sandstorm.
In the Field Guide Arc
- Sandstorm gives a tour of ThunderClan's camp back in the old forest. She introduces the reader to both her daughters, Leafpaw and Squirrelpaw. She shows them all the dens (warrior, nursery, medicine, etc.), and at the elders' den, she meets Dappletail, who quickly accuses the reader of being spies for ShadowClan.
- When Cloudtail speaks about being captured by the Twolegs, he says how grateful he is to Sandstorm for not judging him for his mistakes and welcoming him back into ThunderClan, unlike some of the other cats in ThunderClan.
- Rock thinks that Sandstorm should be remembered for more than just being the loyal mate of Firestar, and a good mother to Squirrelflight and Leafpool. He says that it was Sandstorm who convinced Firestar to lead ThunderClan into battle with BloodClan, and that he was doing the right thing.
- Sandstorm knows Firestar better than he realizes, even more so than Spottedleaf. She is not just Firestar's shadow; she matched his courage in the journey to rebuild SkyClan, and helped fight off the rats even though she only had one life to lose.
- Rock says he holds Sandstorm in higher esteem than almost any other Clan cat, and that she has come a long way from tormenting the kittypet Rusty with Dustpaw.
- Sandstorm speaks quietly about Firestar and how his kittypet origins may have helped him become one of the greatest warriors in the forest. She asked if a forest-born cat would have gone behind Bluestar's back to do what was best for the Clan, or if Fireheart would have suspected Tigerclaw of treachery if he wasn't a kittypet. She also mentions that Firestar is like other forest-born cats since he rejected his former life as a kittypet.
- At the end of "A Change of Heart: Sandstorm Speaks", Sandstorm expresses that she loves Fireheart more than she could imagine loving any other cat, and asks that if Fireheart knew, if he would love her as well.
- In "Who Goes There?: Whitestorm Teaches Border Tactics", she is one of the apprentices, along with Ravenpaw, Dustpaw, Graypaw, and Firepaw. She and Dustpaw are seen trying to torment Firepaw by putting a fire ant in his fur, but Whitestorm tells her to put the ant down. Also, when Graypaw is drawing a "border line," she complains the line is wobbly, and Whitestorm responds by telling her borders aren't whisker-straight.
- Sandstorm does not make an appearance, but Lionblaze mentions her during Bumblepaw's demonstration of a battle tactic and states that she can track a mouse from the other side of the forest. Tigerstar also mentions how she was part of the chain to lure the dog pack away from the ThunderClan camp when giving the reader a tour of the forest territories. Graystripe mentions how she and Firestar were away on some sort of mission, and had left him in charge of ThunderClan.
- First mentioned on Firestar's page, Sandstorm is said to be the cat that Firestar, then Fireheart, grew close to after the death of Spottedleaf during a ShadowClan attack on ThunderClan's camp. Soon after he became Firestar, leader of ThunderClan, Sandstorm gave birth to Leafkit and Squirrelkit, their daughters. She is also mentioned on the next page, on Spottedleaf's page. It is said that Spottedleaf knew that she'd lost Firestar to Sandstorm, and this was made clear when Sandstorm and Firestar left to help rebuild SkyClan. The former medicine cat knew that Sandstorm was a far better choice- being able to match Firestar step after step, bear his kits, and also help with the responsibility that was leading ThunderClan. Spottedleaf also gave her life for Sandstorm, as one last gift to the cat she loved.
- On Sandstorm's own page, it is noted that when Firestar first came to ThunderClan, under the name of Rusty, she and a fellow apprentice, Dustpaw, tormented him. The former kittypet soon left a different kind of impression on Sandstorm, and soon enough, she began to truly appreciate him and everything he did for ThunderClan. Firestar soon came to the realization as to how important Sandstorm was to him, and the she-cat's friendship and support were extremely important to the new ThunderClan leader as he prepared to battle against BloodClan. Sandstorm was the cat who gave Firestar that final push to make him believe that he was doing the right thing by going to war with the Twolegplace rogues.
- It is said that Sandstorm's courage rivaled that of Firestar himself, and she was a very proud and committed ThunderClan warrior. On the journey to rebuild SkyClan, Sandstorm played the role of medicine cat, using the skills taught to her by Cinderpelt, ThunderClan's medicine cat, and she also matched her mate strike-for-strike when SkyClan was threatened by the rats, even though she could have met a fate that would result in her death. She was also an excellent mother to both her daughters, Squirrelflight and Leafpool, and stood by them when the truth came out about her grandkits: Lionblaze, Hollyleaf, and Jayfeather.
- Besides his medicine cats and deputies, Sandstorm was the cat whom Firestar called upon before making any decisions regarding ThunderClan. Although quick-tempered, she had a very strong sense of justice, and stood up for cats who resided in ThunderClan that didn't necessarily fit in with ThunderClan's warrior lifestyle; this includes Daisy, who stays in the nursery and helps the nursing queens, instead of hunting or patrolling with the rest of her Clan.
- Although Sandstorm never once wished that she could have been able to change how things played out with Firestar and ThunderClan, it is said that she would have loved to have had more kits with Firestar. But, in the end, she shared Firestar's responsibility with all cats in her Clan, and she knew that her mate already had enough demands placed on him by the other members of his Clan.
- It is mentioned on Squirrelflight’s page that she demonstrated the quiet determination of her mother. She also appears on SkyClan’s introductory page. Sandstorm went with Firestar, who was sent by Bluestar, to rebuild the Clan, tracking down descendants and inviting cats to hold the warrior code, eventually working together to defeat the rats.
- It is mentioned on Cloudstar’s and Skywatcher's page that Skywatcher was the last descendant of SkyClan living in the gorge when Firestar and Sandstorm arrived. Sandstorm is mentioned twice on Echosong’s page; she was expecting Firestar and Sandstorm when they came looking for new warriors in Twolegplace to join the new SkyClan. Sandstorm’s patient teaching of herbs, among other things, made Echosong the obvious choice as SkyClan’s medicine cat.
In the Short Stories and Plays
- She puts her stone in for Firestar to lead all the Clans temporarily. Sandstorm has trust in Firestar but she then hesitated because they wouldn't have much more time together if he was voted for this particular role.
- She is never seen, but is mentioned by Spottedleaf, when she talks about what she thinks of the relationship between her and Firestar. Spottedleaf says that she knows Sandstorm loves Firestar very much, and that Firestar loves Sandstorm equally as much in return. She also explains why she and Firestar wouldn't have been able to be together; because while Spottedleaf could only come to Firestar in dreams, Sandstorm would always be by his side no matter what, giving him advice, and bearing him his kits, and while Spottedleaf remained forever young in StarClan, Sandstorm would age alongside Firestar. Spottedleaf also says that Leafpool and Squirrelflight, Sandstorm's kits, are like daughters to her as well, and she will look out for them. She tells the reader that she approves of Firestar and Sandstorm together, but that she will always love the flame-colored leader very much, too.
- Smallear says that Fireheart shouldn't have been chosen as deputy, since he wasn't the best fighter or hunter in ThunderClan. To prove his point, he contrasts Sandstorm's hunting skills to Fireheart's, saying that Sandstorm could track a beetle in a blizzard.
In the Novellas
- During the fire that rages through ThunderClan's territory, Sandstorm yowls at Fireheart that he cannot go back to the camp when it is discovered Halftail, Patchpelt, and Bramblekit are missing. She insists on coming with Fireheart when he is determined to go, but Whitestorm stops her, telling her that they were already short of warriors.
- After Leafpool snaps Whitepaw's dislocated tail into place, Sandstorm walks up to her and congratulates her. Sandstorm tells her how proud she is of her and how she even managed to keep Brightheart calm. Leafpool tells her that no mother likes to see her kit in pain. Sandstorm agrees and says that Leafpool can tell her if anything is wrong, seeming to notice that Leafpool had not been herself in the last few days. Leafpool, trying to avoid the discussion, says she needs to collect yarrow. Sandstorm tells her she will watch Whitepaw until she returns. Leafpool inches away from her mother. Unbeknowst to her, Leafpool is pregnant, and does not want her mother, an experienced queen, to notice.
- When Leafpool tells Sandstorm and Firestar she has to leave to find a mysterious herb, Sandstorm asks her if she has to go. She looks worried, and Leafpool briefly wonders if Sandstorm found out she is expecting kits.
- After Sorreltail dies, Sandstorm is seen walking up to Squirrelflight, telling her that if she was injured that badly, nothing could have been done for her. She helps Squirrelflight, Millie, and Graystripe carry her to the place where she would be buried.
- When Purdy remarks about the place Mousefur was buried, Sandstorm runs her tail along his spine and tells him it's a lovely idea.
- Dovewing hears Sandstorm coughing and remarks to Bumblestripe that she should see Jayfeather, and Bumblestripe agrees. Dovewing is tired because Sandstorm kept her up all night, for the third time in a row. Poppyfrost walks up to her with water and gives it to her, and Sandstorm is grateful, drinking it.
- Berrynose asks Bramblestar if Sandstorm can sleep in the elders' den, because she is keeping them awake and that they can't patrol. Bramblestar asks if she is ok with it and Sandstorm is defiant, telling him thats it's just whitecough and that she does not need to be an elder yet. She then tells Bramblestar that she will sleep in the apprentices' den and take some honey.
- Squirrelflight says that she will sleep with Sandstorm. Sandstorm begins to protest, but Squirrelflight says that she will no matter what.
- Sandstorm asks if she can share a squirrel with Dovewing, Purdy, and Bumblestripe. Purdy tells her that of course she could and shifts over for her to take a bite out of it. Purdy starts talking about when all the sick cats had to go to the abandoned Twoleg den and Sandstorm looks sad and says that it cost Firestar a life too. Dovewing asks if they'll do that and again and Sandstorm guesses that they won't and looks sadder.
- Ravenpaw recalls there was a vision that sent Firestar and Sandstorm on a journey to save SkyClan. The loner tells Silverstream Sandstorm and Firestar went to SkyClan after the battle against BloodClan. He later asks Barley to remember how he told him about the Clan Firestar and Sandstorm found up the river. Ravenpaw decides to go to SkyClan and reassures Sandstorm and her mate safety made the journey so he can too. During the journey, Ravenpaw has a vision, hearing the whispers of Sandstorm and Firestar. He can feel they are nervous and excited, in the same shelter he is in, knowing how close to finished their journey is. Ravenpaw thinks he has finally followed their paw steps to SkyClan.
- Ravenpaw meets Leafstar, and explains about ThunderClan leaving the forest. Leafstar feels sorry for Sandstorm and Firestar for having to leave their home and hopes wherever they have settled, they are safe. Ravenpaw is certain they are safe as StarClan would have let him know if something happened. Leafstar explains she has tried to get SkyClan to remember Firestar and Sandstorm as they owe them everything. She says that they will always be grateful for what Firestar and Sandstorm has done. During a dream, Skywatcher comes to Ravenpaw, explaining he was the last SkyClan warrior until Firestar and Sandstorm came to save it. Cloudstar is also there, explaining he also made the same journey Firestar and Sandstorm made.
In the Warriors App
- On Sandstorm's trivia page it mentions that, feeling pressure to be the best hunter in the Clan, Sandpaw cheated on one of her hunting assessments by taking prey forgotten by another warrior and presenting it as her own catch. Feeling guilty, she later informed Bluestar of her actions. Bluestar sets Sandpaw the task of catching the same amount of fresh-kill as she'd dug up, and Sandpaw completes the task securing her place as the best hunter in the Clan.
- She is also mentioned on Squirrelflight's trivia page. Squirrelkit, feeling bitter about her sister, Leafkit's, accomplishments, puts a fire ant in her sister's nest to make her squirm through the night from being bitten. Sandstorm discovers the plan and informs the two kits that they'll be switching nests that night. Squirrelkit refuses to reveal her plot and is ready to spend the night in a nest with the ant. However, Sandstorm reveals to Squirrelkit that she'd found and killed the ant, secretly impressed with her daughter's determination not to get caught.
- She has SkyClan blood, because her father, Redtail, is a SkyClan descendant.
- One of Leafstar's kits, Stormheart, is named after Sandstorm.
- During Firestar's Quest, she played the role of medicine cat to SkyClan, before she and Firestar found and trained Echosong.
- Sandstorm was killed to thin the crowd, although Kate says it would have been nice to have her go out defending her Clanmates.
- In Fire and Ice, Sandstorm was mistakenly called Sandpaw shortly after her warrior ceremony when Fireheart goes to get her a mouse.
- She is mistakenly called Sandstrom once in The Darkest Hour.
- In Eclipse, she was said to be in camp when Sol first comes, but then a page later she is said to be walking into camp with Squirrelflight after they had been hunting.
- She has mistakenly been said to have golden eyes, and emerald green eyes.
- She has been mistakenly called golden, russet-furred, and depicted as solid with a pale muzzle in mangas.
Please do not edit this gallery
- Swiftbreeze: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Robinwing: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Patchpelt: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Dustpelt: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Ravenpaw: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Willowpelt: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Spottedleaf: Deceased, No Residence
- Leopardfoot: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Frostfur: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Unnamed kits: Status Unknown
- Hollykit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Larchkit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Icecloud: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Spiderleg: Deceased, Residence Unknown
- Shrewpaw: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Birchfall: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Foxleap: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Rosepetal: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Dovewing: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Ivypool: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Lionblaze: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Jayfeather: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Alderheart: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Juniperkit: Deceased, Verified StarClan Member
- Hollyleaf: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Sparkpelt: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Dandelionkit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Nightkit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Mistkit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Tigerstar: Deceased, No Residence
- Darkstripe: Deceased, Verified Place of No Stars member
- Sorreltail: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Molepaw: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Honeyfern: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Cinderheart: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Poppyfrost: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Seedpaw: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Lilyheart: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Molewhisker: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Cherryfall: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Sootfur: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Rainwhisker: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Brackenfur: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Cinderpelt: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Thornclaw: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Brightheart: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Whitewing: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Ambermoon: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Dewnose: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Snowbush: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Bramblestar: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Tawnypelt: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Hawkfrost: Deceased, No Residence
- Mothwing: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Tadpole: Deceased, Residence Unknown
- Graystripe: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Stormfur: Living (As of Sign of the Moon)
- Feathertail: Deceased, Verified Tribe of Endless Hunting and StarClan member
- Briarlight: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Bumblestripe: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Blossomfall: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Goosefeather: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Moonflower: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Bluestar: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Snowfur: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Mistystar: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Mosskit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Stonefur: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Whitestorm: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Reedwhisker: Living (As of Shattered Sky)
- Perchkit: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Pikepaw: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
- Primrosepaw: Deceased, Verified StarClan member
= Gender Unknown
- "Fireheart, every cat in the Clan can see that Sandstorm is very, very fond of you!"
- —Cinderpelt telling Fireheart that Sandstorm obviously likes him Rising Storm, pages 154-155
- Sandstorm: "Firestar. This is your last life. You can't risk losing it now. Your Clan needs you."
- Firestar: "They need me to fight."
- The Last Hope, pages 260-261
- "I meant it when I said I wanted to come on this journey. But I want to share your mission. I want to understand why you need to help this Clan, and play an equal part in finding them."
- —Sandstorm to Firestar Firestar's Quest, page 171
- "I love you, Sandstorm. You'll never be second-best for me. My love for you belongs here and now, in the life we share - and it will last for all the moons to come."
- —Firestar to Sandstorm Firestar's Quest, pages 401-402
- "Firestar's loyal mate, a good mother to Squirrelflight and Leafpool, she's the cat that won Firestar's heart after Spottedleaf died ... is this how Sandstorm will be remembered? She deserves far more than that, in my opinion."
- —Rock on Sandstorm's life Cats of the Clans, page 12
- "You wait. I'll be the crankiest elder the Clans have ever seen. Mousefur will seem sweet and gentle next to me!"
- —Sandstorm to Firestar on the journey to a Gathering Sunrise, page 300
- "Sandstorm had a quick temper and a strong sense of what was right, which Firestar respected. Next to his deputies and medicine cats, Sandstorm was the cat Firestar consulted most often before making any decisions for the Clan."
- —Narrator The Ultimate Guide, page 19
- "Sandstorm would have loved to have more kits, but she knew that Firestar had enough demands on him by the rest of the Clan. She shared his sense of responsibility to all the cats who lived in the hollow, and never wished that their lives could have been different."
- —Narrator on Sandstorm The Ultimate Guide, page 19
- "Sometimes Clan boundaries cause more damage than they’re worth."
- —Sandstorm in regards to Clan borders Bramblestar's Storm, page chapter 19
- "I hold Sandstorm in higher esteem than I do almost any other Clan cat. She has traveled far from the days when she and Dustpaw tormented Rusty the kittypet. I hope Firestar appreciates her journey as much as she deserves."
- —Rock Cats of the Clans, page 12
- Alderpaw: "I failed you."
- Sandstorm: "No. No cat could've done more to help me. I doubt that even Jayfeather or Leafpool could have kept me alive so long. I knew the risks when I chose this quest. I know how important your visions are."
- The Apprentice's Quest, pages 181-182
- "It wasn't your fault. It was my time to go. I sensed when I decided to go with you to search for SkyClan that I might not survive the journey. You know, I never wanted to spend my last days as an elder, sitting around in camp. I wanted to die doing something important... and your quest gave me the chance to relive a special memory with Firestar."
- —Sandstorm to Alderpaw The Apprentice's Quest, page 260
|Sandpaw's Warrior Ceremony|
|Sandstorm's Elder Ceremony|
References and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 181
- ↑ Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 210
- ↑ Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 333
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Revealed in Into the Wild, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 15
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 180
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- ↑ Revealed in the Warriors App
- ↑ Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 280
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 340
- ↑ Revealed in Dawn, page 56
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 509
- ↑ Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, chapter 33
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 202
- ↑ Revealed in Firestar's Quest, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 270
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Long Shadows, page 90
- ↑ Revealed in Rising Storm, page 179
- ↑ Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 241
- ↑ Revealed in Rising Storm, page 158
- ↑ Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 309
- ↑ Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 107
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 53
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 25.2 25.3 25.4 Revealed to be a in Erin Hunter Chat 4, undefined
- ↑ Revealed in The Rescue, page 86
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's blog
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's blog
- ↑ Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 281
- ↑ Revealed in Eclipse, page 167
- ↑ Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 184
- ↑ Revealed in Rising Storm, page 165
- ↑ Revealed in Rising Storm, page 88
- ↑ Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 13
- ↑ Revealed in A Clan in Need, page 25
- ↑ Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page manga
- ↑ Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 15
- ↑ 38.0 38.1 38.2 38.3 38.4 Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ 39.0 39.1 39.2 Revealed in Rising Storm, page 42
- ↑ 40.0 40.1 40.2 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 362
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 41.2 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 329
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook Page
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, page Chapter 3
- ↑ 45.0 45.1 45.2 45.3 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 8
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, chapter 3
- ↑ 48.0 48.1 48.2 Revealed in Midnight, page 84
- ↑ 49.0 49.1 Revealed in The Sight, page 5
- ↑ 50.0 50.1 Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 19
- ↑ 51.0 51.1 Revealed in Outcast, allegiances
- ↑ 52.0 52.1 Revealed in Sunrise, page 317
- ↑ 53.0 53.1 53.2 Revealed in Sunrise, page 251
- ↑ 54.0 54.1 54.2 Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 8
- ↑ Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 9
- ↑ 56.0 56.1 56.2 Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 478
- ↑ 57.0 57.1 57.2 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 266
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ 59.0 59.1 59.2 Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 100
- ↑ 60.0 60.1 60.2 60.3 Revealed in Sunset, page 27
- ↑ 61.0 61.1 Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, page 146
- ↑ 62.0 62.1 Revealed in Fading Echoes, allegiances
- ↑ 63.0 63.1 Revealed in Fire and Ice, pages 95-97
- ↑ 64.0 64.1 Revealed in Forest of Secrets, pages 62-63
- ↑ 65.0 65.1 65.2 Revealed in The Last Hope, page 216
- ↑ 66.0 66.1 Revealed in Rising Storm, pages 19-20
- ↑ 67.0 67.1 Revealed in Moonrise, page 258
- ↑ Revealed in Return to the Clans, page 2
- ↑ 69.0 69.1 Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 39
- ↑ 70.0 70.1 70.2 Revealed in Eclipse, page 159
- ↑ 71.0 71.1 Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, allegiances
- ↑ 72.0 72.1 72.2 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 502
- ↑ Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 18
- ↑ Revealed to be a in Erin Hunter Chat 6, undefined
- ↑ 75.0 75.1 75.2 Revealed in Mistystar's Omen, chapter 3