|"He would always be a tough, challenging presence at her shoulder, with ideas of his own, and he would never be afraid to argue."|
|— Leafstar's thoughts about Sharpclaw in SkyClan's Destiny, page 461|
|Past:||Rogue, Kittypet, Loner|
|Cause of Death|
|Cause of Death:||Killed by Rain and Darktail|
|Living:||Cats of the Clans, Battles of the Clans, Firestar's Quest, SkyClan's Destiny, The Rescue, Beyond the Code, After the Flood, The Ultimate Guide, Ravenpaw's Farewell, Hawkwing's Journey|
In the Super Edition Arc
- When Firestar and Sandstorm are hunting near a fallen tree, they see a dark ginger rogue. Firestar wants to call out to the tom, but the rogue is heading rapidly downstream and is soon out of sight. Firestar wonders if the rogue even spotted them. Sandstorm says they would never have caught him, and if they did, he would probably think they would try to steal his prey. Firestar finds the ginger tom again, but the rogue glances over his shoulder at Firestar’s call, but doesn’t stop. He pushes deeper into the undergrowth, and Firestar doesn’t know whether to be glad or sorry he is gone. A day later, Firestar and Sandstorm find a queen defending her kits against a fox. They fight the fox and the rogue appears, screeching as he jumps and lands on the fox’s head. He holds on tight, all claws from four paws in as he makes bloody scratches. The fox gives up, and the tomcat jumps off. Firestar thanks the rogue, and says it could have been bad if he didn’t come. The ginger tom narrows his eyes as he meows not to thanks him as he doesn’t like foxes more than Firestar does. He says they look battered as his gaze flickers from Firestar to Sandstorm.
- Everyone introduces themselves, including the queen, revealing her name is Clover and her kits are Rock, Bounce, and Tiny. The ginger tom says names are easy and asks who Firestar and Sandstorm are. He also asks what they are doing there and how long they are staying. Firestar is surprised at the tom’s questions and tone. Firestar begins to say he saw him further down the gorge, but the ginger rogue asks why he was hunting with the two crazy kittypets. Sandstorm defends them, saying Cherry and Boris are okay. Clover cuts in, saying it doesn’t matter why they are in the territory, they saved her kits if they weren’t. The dark ginger tom points out he was there, he can scare any fox. He turns to Firestar and asks what his story is. Firestar and Sandstorm tells about SkyClan, and the tomcat says he has met the old cat a few times. He tells him he doesn’t talk though, he looks mad to him. Firestar says Sky isn’t mad as he knows more of the old SkyClan than any other cat. Firestar explains that the Clan lived in the gorge a long time ago. They are gone now, but Sky believes that Firestar can rebuild it from its descendants.
- Firestar starts to mention he knows it’s a big decision for any cat, but Clover immediately agrees to join them for the protection of her kits. The ginger rogue offers to look after her, but Clover says he hardly comes this far of the forest, and asks how often they speak to each other. She ignores the tomcat’s annoyed hiss, and Firestar asks if the rogue wants to join. The tom says he can manage, although admits he likes the idea of training others to defend themselves, and likes the moves they used to fight the fox. Firestar offers to teach him if he comes with them. The rogue is surprised at this, sounding as if he couldn’t believe they would share their battle secrets that would make fighting easier. Firestar explains Clanmates don’t fight one another, other than training. The tom thinks that could be a good way to live, and says he will try, but can’t promise anything. Firestar explains they won’t ask him to decide, just to come to caves for a while to see what it is like. Sandstorm asks for his name. The rogue tells he is nameless, but has a faint memory of his mother calling him Scratch.
- Firestar is unsure about Scratch staying with the Clan, since he refuses to sleep in the warriors' den. Sky comes to the gorge, and expresses his opinion on Scratch. He says he would tear their throats as soon as they look at him. Firestar explains that Scratch is tough, and a fighter. Once he learns the warrior code, he’ll be the cat the Clan needs. Four days later, Scratch snaps at Cherry and Boris as he digs up buried fresh-kill. He says they didn’t look before jumping into a garden. They apologize, but Scratch growls that sorry is all well, but they nearly landed on the dog. If Firestar didn’t distract the dog, they would be goners, and they still lost the squirrel. Firestar notes that Scratch’s hunting skills is useful, but he has no patience with the kittypets. Scratch asks if they want to stand around, as he wants to head back to the gorge before the mist clears and the Twolegs come. When Scratch hears that Firestar is going to have a meeting to tell other cats about the Clan, he offers to take Firestar to meet other rogues that live near SkyClan camp to come to the meeting. Firestar agrees, and they go and find the rogues.
- Firestar is upset as he hasn’t eaten all day, but they hunt on the way. Scratch leads the way with Firestar wishing he had his strong haunches, and thinking Scratch is a true SkyClan cat. They first meet Leaf, who already knows Scratch. Firestar explains about SkyClan and invites her to join. Leaf is unsure, and asks Scratch if he is. Scratch says he is thinking about it, but likes how they are protecting each other. Leaf agrees to go to the meeting, and Scratch leads Firestar to Tangle. He is aggressive to them, and Scratch quickly shoves Firestar away, saying he suspected he wouldn’t listen. They meet with Patch, who also knows Scratch. He asks if his bringing Sky, but Scratch reassures that he has brought Firestar. Patch agrees to go to the meeting, and back at camp, Rainfur also agrees to come too. Scratch calls he’ll see him tomorrow. After the meeting, Scratch joins the Clan, but Firestar worries he is only interested in becoming leader and gaining the respect and power he would be granted from a leader's nine lives.
- When Firestar gets back from the first hunting patrol he finds Sandstorm and Scratch having a fierce quarrel over who eats first. Scratch insists the warriors caught it, and they need to eat first so they can do their duties. Firestar resolves the fight, and explains to him this is the ways of the Clans, and the old SkyClan didn’t disappear because of the elders and queens. Still irritated, Scratch glares at Clover as he says for her to eat. Sandstorm apologizes to Firestar for losing her temper to Scratch. Firestar says he will become a great warrior, he just has to see that the warrior code involves more than strength, he’ll learn with time. Firestar decides to call a Clan Meeting, and performs some Clan ceremonies. Firestar performs Scratch’s Warrior Ceremony, with Sandstorm guiding him and the Clan to what to do. Firestar mentions he trusts he will give all his courage and strength, and Scratch is renamed Sharpclaw. He is also given Cherry, now Cherrypaw as an apprentice. The new mentor asks what to do if she didn’t listen, and Sandstorm says he can do what he likes. Firestar explains within reason and if he wishes to punish her, he needs to ask them what they usually do.
- Sharpclaw asks about a Clan leader, and Firestar wonders if he was hoping to be leader again and admits he is strong and not afraid to take authority. Firestar says that StarClan will decide. Sharpclaw asks how, sounding disbelieving. Firestar explains they’ll send a sign. Sharpclaw snorts, but doesn’t say anything else. Firestar wakes Sharpclaw at dawn the next morning to set the new borders. They collect the apprentices before heading out with Sharpclaw reminding his apprentice that elders and queens eat first. When Firestar explains that they might have some troubles with rogues, Sharpclaw interrupts, saying they’ll teach them to stay out as he flexes his claws. While on a hunting session, Cherrypaw suddenly shouts and Sharpclaw grumbles that she is scaring all the prey. Firestar hopes he isn’t too harsh but Cherrypaw doesn’t seem crushed. They decide to make a border at a stream, since it skirts Rainfur’s and Lichen’s den. He explains though that Tangle moves his den every moon, so if he doesn’t like being in SkyClan territory, he can move. Cherrypaw manages to catch a blackbird and gives it to her mentor. Sharpclaw thanks her and praises her.
- Back at camp, Skywatcher has died, so the Clan starts to get ready to stay awake. Not for the vigil Firestar knows, but of the superstition that they will die if they don’t stay awake. Sharpclaw remembers Foxy, who went to sleep the night his brother died. A couple of days later, Foxy was killed by a monster. Firestar convinces them it is safe to fall asleep, but Sharpclaw does not stay for the vigil. The next day, Clovertail’s kits spread a rumor of a cave with big scary cats and eyes that glow like moons. Sharpclaw thinks that if there is something there, they have to deal with it, attack it before it can attack them. Firestar takes the Clan at night to find the moss of the cave shining. As the cats gaze in awe, Sharpclaw points out they are the scary cats with eyes shining like moons. Firestar explains that their ancestors called this cave the Shining Cave, but thinks the Whispering Cave is a better name. Sharpclaw asks the significance, and Firestar says they’ll find a use. Sharpclaw looks at Firestar with narrowed eyes before leading the Clan out.
- When Rainfur comes to SkyClan and begs for them to help his mate and kits, Sharpclaw asks how his mate Petal could not sneak out. Sharpclaw thinks the rogue is setting a trap. Rainfur convinces them to help, and Sharpclaw is part of the patrol that goes to help Petal and her kits. He suggests that a couple of cats fight outside, getting the Twoleg that is trapping Petal and her kits to open the door. The others can slip in and grab them then head out. Sharpclaw is selected to fight with Patchfoot. They yowl as they fight, bringing the Twoleg out and chucking something at the bushes behind them. After the others rescue the kits and Petal, Sharpclaw helps shove Petal away from danger. At camp, Cherrypaw says she wishes she was there. Sharpclaw twitches his whiskers in satisfaction as he says it wasn’t hard and she should have seen the Twoleg blunder about. Firestar soon thinks Sharpclaw, courageous cat and is one of the obvious choices for Clan leader, but Firestar feels he does not respect and understand the warrior code enough, and wants the position too much.
- When Patchfoot returns to camp injured, Sharpclaw, Cherrypaw and Firestar go to investigate. It is a huge hoard of rats, who even has a leader that can vaguely speak cat. They manage to escape, and realize that small scratches that are with their ancestors scratches on the gorge is rat scratches. The rats drove out the old SkyClan. They tell this to the Clan, who starts to think they cannot fight. Sharpclaw encourages them on, saying he will fight to the death if necessary, and as often as he has to. This is a great hint he expects to be Clan leader, but does settle the Clan. The Clan decides they will fight the rats. Later that day, Firestar finds the cat that will become SkyClan's medicine cat. Sharpclaw is unsure of Echo, thinking Firestar would choose one of his Clanmates but wishes her luck. That night, SkyClan has their first Gathering. Leafdapple comments on her apprentice and not wanting to be outdone, Sharpclaw also comments on his. He claims if Sandstorm wasn’t at the training session, his ears would be clawed off. Cherrypaw says one day Sandstorm won’t be there, and Sharpclaw gives an affection swipe. Firestar requests to Cherrypaw to keep her mentor in one piece.
- Sharpclaw announces his impatience to attack the rats, but Firestar reassures they’ll attack when Patchfoot is ready. Sharpclaw is still impatient though, clashing with Rainfur over fresh-kill. On a dark night, the rats attack SkyClan camp. Sharpclaw tosses rats off the gorge so they fall to their deaths. The rats suddenly retreat, and Sharpclaw wants to give chase and finish them off. Firestar however, blocks him, insisting it’s a trap. He later though, becomes more cautious about battles, instead of rushing into battle. He encourages the Clan again to battle the rats at their nest, and Firestar again thinks of him as clan leader. When the Clan is heading towards the rats’ territory for the battle, Sharpclaw figures out the rats are hiding in a Twoleg barn, and goes inside with a patrol to lure the rats out. They are attacked, and the other patrol goes in to help. Sharpclaw is back to back with Cherrypaw before they run out to climb a tree. This time, Leafdapple encourages the Clan. Sharpclaw supports her, saying that they will die anyway, but he will take a few rats with him. They plan to get the leader to talk, so they can attack it. Sharpclaw jumps throws insults at the giant group of rats, but the rat leader doesn’t come. Firestar manages to find and kill the leader, so Sharpclaw gives the order to attack the confused rats that remain. He screeches at the rats as they flee, saying that any that step paw in the gorge will be killed. The battle ends with SkyClan victorious.
- Rainfur is killed during the battle, and Leafdapple and Sharpclaw bring his body back to camp for vigil. Later, Shortwhisker decides to go back to being a kittypet. Sharpclaw is visibly upset, saying he has bees in his brain. Shortwhisker admits he was scared, but Sharpclaw asks he thinks the rest of them weren’t. Shortwhisker, now Hutch again leaves, and Sharpclaw thinks it’s the last echo of their battle against the rats. Days later, Sharpclaw goes on patrol with Clovertail while Firestar assesses his apprentice. Sharpclaw still misses Rainfur, as he almost says he will go on patrol with him, but concludes he will patrol with just Clovertail. StarClan reveals to Echo, now named Echosong that Leafdapple will be the leader of SkyClan. She says she thought Sharpclaw would, and Firestar agrees with her. But Leafdapple is chosen, so she goes for a Leadership Ceremony. When she announces for a Clan meeting, Sharpclaw rescues Bouncekit from falling in the river.
- Leafstar performs a Deputy Ceremony, naming Sharpclaw as the first modern SkyClan deputy. He says that he is truly honored to be deputy. Firestar remembers he pushed to become leader when he didn’t completely understand the warrior code. He could make it difficult for the now named Leafstar if he doesn’t accept her authority. He thinks that his courage and fighting skills will balance with Leafstar’s thoughtfulness. One day, when he has lived moons with the warrior code, he will make a great leader. Leafstar also performs the Warrior Ceremony, asking Sharpclaw if Cherrypaw is ready to become a warrior. Sharpclaw says she fought hard against the rats, like a seasoned warrior, and Cherrypaw is given the warrior name of Cherrytail. It’s time for Firestar and Sandstorm to go back to their Clan, and the Clan cheers their names. Firestar is unsure of leaving them behind, wondering if Sharpclaw will know how a deputy has to support his leader. Sandstorm reassures him the Clan will be fine.
- Sharpclaw continues to be SkyClan's deputy, but he does not agree with Leafstar all of the time. He is one of cats opposing Leafstar's decision of letting kittypets come to the gorge and act as warriors during the day, but returning to their housefolk at night. Leafstar doesn't want to begin Rockpaw, Bouncepaw, and Tinypaw's warrior ceremony without the daylight warriors. but Sharpclaw convinces her to go ahead, showing disrespect for the warriors with a paw in each world.
- Sharpclaw is startled, just as many other cats are, when Shrewtooth calls out a warning, thinking there is an invasion. It turns out to be the daylight-warriors returning to the Clan for the day. Leafstar acknowledges him as he approaches her and instructs that patrols need to be set, and he nods curtly in agreement. While Sharpclaw is organizing the patrols, there is edge to his words when he mentions that Ebonyclaw's apprentice, also a daylight-warrior, is not there, as if he didn't believe they were much use to their Clan. Regardless, Ebonyclaw nods politely. He continues on to address the newly named warriors and gorge-born cats with a much friendlier attitude.
- After this scene, Leafstar asks to speak with him for a moment. Leafstar starts their conversation, stating how it was unnecessary to sneer at Ebonyclaw. He starts to argue, but then backs down, agreeing that he was a bit sharp. However, he goes on to call them 'kitty-warriors,' to which Leafstar is taken aback by. He defends himself by claiming he is only trying to be accurate about it, and he makes a point of how could it be possible to follow the warrior code if they are returning home to their Twoleg homes every night. It's implied that he and Leafstar have had this conversation multiple times in the past. He proceeds to insult Snookpaw's name, instead calling him "Snookypaw", as his original name had been Snooky. Sharpclaw also comments on Ebonyclaw's collar, which Leafstar defends her, making a point of how she tries her best to keep it quiet. The anger leaves Sharpclaw's eyes, though he says how he believes Leafstar's head is full of bees. He then leaves to go join his patrol.
- Sharpclaw's patrol soon returns and he comments on the snow, showing great disgust for it. He complains that they got too much in leaf-bare, let alone newleaf. He then offers to search the extra caves, pointing out that they could be useful for storing prey or extra dens. As they sort out cats to help with the project, Sparrowpelt and Rockshade comment on how Billystorm, a daylight warrior, shouldn't be allowed back the next day, and how he only wants to help out on more enjoyable activities in the Clan. Sharpclaw quickly steps in and says what happens to Billystorm is Leafstar's concern alone. However, he murmurs to Leafstar about how the two cats have a point. He continues to say that Billystorm should be given extra tasks, as to prevent the daylight-warriors from thinking they'll have an easier time than those fully participating in Clan duties. Sharpclaw says that if they want to be part of the Clan, they have to understand sharing tasks, to which Leafstar agrees. She comments that if they help with building dens, perhaps they'll want to stay, but Sharpclaw responds with disbelief in the idea.
- Tinycloud, Rockshade, and Bouncefire complain about wanting to go hunting. Sharpclaw steps in, giving them an icy glare, sternly saying that it's the deputy that sets the patrols. He then assigns Rockshade to go with him on a border patrol. After a few days have passed, Harveymoon and Macgyver are caught playing around in moss, as if they are kits. Leafstar scolds the two for their behavior and Sharpclaw emerges from his cave. His eyes are filled with irritation, and he tells Leafstar about how he had to put up with the two all morning. He turns back and glares at the cats and says they are behaving stupidly and are being disloyal to their Clan. He hisses in anger when Harveymoon argues, saying that he and Macgyver don't even sleep in the caves, so they shouldn't have to help. Leafstar punishes the two, sending them off back to the Twolegs until the next full moon. Sharpclaw is described as bristling even after they are banished. A bit later, he thanks Leafstar for supporting him, but she snaps, saying it wasn't for his sake. Sharpclaw is startled by her sharp tone, but remains silent.
- Sagepaw slips off a cliff while assisting with clearing dens and dangles from the edge. Sharpclaw shoots out of a lower cave and quickly starts to climb up to the apprentice, accompanied by Patchfoot. Sharpclaw keeps a calm tone as he tells Sagepaw to stay still. He continues to reassure the apprentice as he makes his way up. However, the rock beneath Sagepaw's paws crumble just as Sharpclaw jumps up to grab him and he misses. Sharpclaw barely manages to stay clinging to the cliffside, balance from the rescue attempt. He quickly heads over to where the fallen apprentice is and lashes his tail, clearly angry, and comments on how he should have been a bit quicker. Leafstar reassures him that he did his best.
- Leafstar calls together a meeting after the incident and commends both her medicine cat, Echosong, and her deputy, Sharpclaw. She proceeds to say no cat has more claim to SkyClan than any other, to which Sharpclaw agrees. He goes on, saying a place in the Clan is earned by loyalty, duty, and courage. After saying this, he casts a dark glance over at the daylight-warriors. The meeting is interrupted when Waspwhisker runs in, shouting a warning of intruders. Bouncefire comments that there should have been a border patrol but Leafstar sent them hunting. Sharpclaw looks at Leafstar with a querying look at the new warrior's comment. The intruders are ordered to be escorted back to the meeting ground.
- Sharpclaw seems to be interested in the newcomers, asking for their names as they are brought in. They are introduced as Stick, Cora, Shorty, and Coal. He is automatically impressed by them, stating that it was quite a risk to come in search of Firestar and Sandstorm, as the newcomers claim they were. He isn't inclined to trust them immediately, but he is intrigued. Before Leafstar can respond to the newcomers about their interest in learning more about how to live out in the wild, Sharpclaw cuts in, saying the Clan could always use the extra help. A gasp is heard from one of his Clanmates and uneasy looks are given at him, as it seemed he was trying to tell Leafstar what to do with them. Leafstar, however, allows the cats to learn more; she sends Coal off to the medicine cat den to learn more there, though it seems as if Sharpclaw doesn't agree with her decision, looking at her with narrowed eyes.
- He is shown to be incredibly supportive of the newcomers when they arrive. He often overruns Leafstar's opinion over Stick's, which rather irritates her. In face of the newcomers, he does things and sends orders around the camp without Leafstar's permission. Sharpclaw is later seen sorting out plans for the attack on the rats. He sets Stick to organize training patrols to prepare for the attack, making a comment of how the Clan wasn't prepared last time and that's how they lost Rainfur. Sharpclaw responds to Leafstar's challenging comments about whether or not Firestar knew what he was doing, stating simply that Firestar didn't have Stick's experience with rats. He gazes at her boldly, clearly sticking with his thoughts. Leafstar does her best to avoid an argument at the time and allows Stick to organize patrols with Sharpclaw's help. In a conversation between Leafstar and Echosong, Leafstar voices her concern that she believes Sharpclaw may be blaming her for taking the leadership of SkyClan. Echosong responds gravely, saying that Leafstar shouldn't worry about it.
- Leafstar approaches Sharpclaw later, seeing he is discussing plans with Stick and Shorty, and his eyes are gleaming as he comments proudly that with the help of the guests, the rats will soon know they're not welcome. A few days later, at night, the cats head out to face the rats. Sharpclaw recites Stick's plan, saying that they block the holes and frighten the rats so they try to escape out uncovered holes, making it easier to kill them. He glances over at Stick to make sure he said the plan right, to which Stick nods. Leafstar assigns responsibilities, putting Sharpclaw in charge of catching rats as they come out. He doesn't respond, but his eyes glitter and he lashes his tail. They get to waste pile and take their positions, readying for battle. As the battle rages, Leafstar shows discomfort in the idea of killing the rats, to which Sharpclaw yowls furiously. His pelt is stained with blood and his eyes are wild as she snarls at her to show no mercy towards the rats. The battle is soon won and injuries are revealed, with Cora and Waspwhisker's being the worst. Sharpclaw and Leafstar exchange a glance, agreeing it isn't time to celebrate yet.
- When the daylight-warriors show up the next day, they are outraged that they were excluded from the battle against the rats. Sharpclaw shoves in to say that the Clan needs cats that are ready to leave at any time, including nights. The discussion is left at that, as Billystorm voices concern for Leafstar. Echosong and Frecklepaw, meanwhile, are hard at work to treat all the wounds collected from the battle. Sharpclaw later approaches Leafstar again, commenting that the cats fought well. At first, Leafstar believes he is referring to the new warriors, but he interrupts, saying he meant the Twolegplace cats, and that the Clan owes their victory to Stick. Before Leafstar can get in a word, he interrupts again, saying any Clan would be lucky to have them as warriors. He hints that they should invite them to join, though Leafstar isn't sure about the idea.
- Secretly, he also confides about Stick's true problem and often takes out groups of cats for training in the Twolegplace with the newcomers at night. This act is noticed by Billystorm and is reported to Leafstar, who doesn't believe it until she actually witnesses one of these new training lessons, often lead by Sharpclaw and Stick. Leafstar is shocked that her deputy is leading patrols out into the Twolegplace, confused as to why he hadn't mentioned it. At a Clan meeting, Petalnose suggestions that there be a special patrol to keep an eye on the remaining rats. Cats are quick to agree, but Sharpclaw shakes his head and says that he doesn't believe the patrol is necessary, pointing out that border patrols and hunting patrols would be able to keep an eye on things while they were out. The cats disperse and go on their way, leaving only Sharpclaw and Echosong with Leafstar. Sharpclaw mentions how Leafstar's acting as if she wants to appoint Frecklepaw as Echosong's apprentice. When Leafstar agrees that she was thinking about it, Sharpclaw response with shock, insisting that it's impossible with Frecklepaw being a kittypet. Regardless of Echosong's retort, he goes on to say it'd be inconvenient if a warrior got injured while she was away, sleeping in a Twoleg nest. Before a fight can start between Echosong and Sharpclaw, Leafstar diffuses the situation, saying they will keep waiting and looking for a sign. Sharpclaw makes a final comment, saying there won't be. Echosong leaves with an angry glare towards Sharpclaw.
- Leafstar is suspicious when, later, Sharpclaw returns back with his patrol, but without any prey with them, even though they were a hunting patrol. She also notes that he didn't make mention of where they had been. When Sharpclaw steps closer, a whiff of Thunderpath is scented on him, though Leafstar tries to ignore the possible situation. Instead, Sharpclaw asks if he can have a word with her privately, to which she agrees, though uncomfortably. Once they reach the cliff top, Sharpclaw says he would like if the visitors were promoted to full warriors. He admits that he hasn't asked them if that's what they would like, but says that it's what they must want, seeing as they carry out all duties. Despite doubts, Leafstar agrees, which makes Sharpclaw's eyes glow with approval. He is thrilled that she agrees with him and offers to go talk to them about it. Leafstar declines, however. When Leafstar calls together a meeting to give them their warrior names, the visitors seem uneasy as they interrupt her words. Sharpclaw seems to be alarmed and unsettled that the cats aren't as thrilled as he had been hoping. However, the visitors allow her to continue, though they interrupt once again before she gives them their warrior names, saying they'd like to keep them. Sharpclaw doesn't see problem with it, nodding in agreement to what Coal explains about how names don't define what they do.
- The next day, Sharpclaw is seen down in the gorge, assigning patrols. Sharpclaw seems a bit surprised when Leafstar says she was going into the Twolegplace with Billystorm. He starts to make a comment about Billystorm, but hesitates and back down, keeping silent. The deputy's gaze seems to show only concern for her, and confidence that he could take care of the Clan while she was away. After Leafstar returns to the Clan, Sharpclaw suggests that they expand the territory, seeing as they have so many more warriors in their Clan. She agrees, saying he has a point, and he continues on, suggesting they send out two patrols to investigate on either side of the gorge. When Leafstar gives her approval, he starts off to set up patrols, but Leafstar stops him, saying that the other cats aren't comfortable being let by the new cats. Sharpclaw snaps, saying they'll just have to get used to them, but Leafstar says it's not that easy. It's noted that tension seems to be rising between Leafstar and Sharpclaw. Sharpclaw gives Leafstar an icy glare as she dismisses him to talk to Ebonyclaw.
- When Shrewtooth comes back, it's revealed that he was being kept prisoner in a Twoleg nest, similarly to Petalnose and her kits. Sharpclaw states with fury that Twolegs are an enemy of SkyClan and that they should do something to take care of the issue. He starts to make a plan but trails off thoughtfully. He suggests that Leafstar call together a Clan meeting to get opinions on the issue. Leafstar heeds his suggestion and proceeds to gather the cats. Murmurs of agreement break out after Leafstar explains the situation, though not every cat is certain of what is suggested. Sharpclaw takes over discussion to gather ideas on how to deal with the Twolegs, though he responds to them all scathingly. When Stick suggests that the scare the Twoleg, Sharpclaw agrees grimly and goes on to form a plan. He wakes Leafstar the next night, insisting that they need to do it because it is clear. Sharpclaw is on the attacking patrol, meowing loudly at the Twoleg to stay away from their Clan. The plan is successful as the Twoleg is frightened and no cat is hurt. The daylight-warriors are hurt when they return the next day, but Sharpclaw says when they plan something they should make more of an effort to join in, making it seem as if it's their fault.
- He participates in the final battle between SkyClan and the newcomers, Dodge and his group of cats in the different Twolegplace. He also gains the respect of a new member of SkyClan, Egg, persuading him to join the Clan under the pretext of there being a fox in the area. He becomes Egg's mentor. After fighting loyally in battle, it is obvious that Sharpclaw only wants the best for his Clan, contrary to Leafstar's previous premonitions. In the short manga, Sharpclaw assesses Rabbitpaw along with Leafstar and Billystorm. As they are walking back to camp, Harveymoon and Macgyver find them and tell them about the dogs in Twolegplace. Sharpclaw and Leafstar decide that they will send out a patrol to Twolegplace to fight the dogs, and give them a good lesson. Sharpclaw is chosen to go with the patrol. They seperate from Leafstar and Rabbitpaw, and soon realise that they are in danger of the dogs. The patrol heads back to meet Rabbitpaw, who is finding help since Leafstar is injured. The patrol finds the dogs and battles them, rescuing Leafstar.
- Sharpclaw is first seen coming with his mate, Cherrytail to see his son Duskpaw dead. His other son, Hawkpaw sees him full of grief and feels guilty for not saving him.
- He is said to have become cold ever since his son's death, and Hawkwing knows he blames him as much as Hawkwing blames himself. When Hawkwing looks at Sharpclaw, he can see that he is also thinking of Duskpaw.
- At a meeting the next morning, he is noted to be following Leafstar with Echosong. When Echosong explains a vision she had, Sharpclaw irritably asks Echosong what it means. Echosong suggests finding the other Clans, and Sharpclaw's words make Hawkwing think of how much Sharpclaw hates the idea. When Nettlesplash interrupts Echosong, Sharpclaw snaps that they should all be quiet and let Echosong finish.
- More Coming Soon
In the A Vision of Shadows Arc
- Alderpaw witnesses a warrior ceremony in SkyClan, and Sharpclaw is one of the cats present.
- While Alderpaw is describing his vision to Sandstorm, she jumps up excitedly as she recognizes the cats, saying the brown and cream tabby is the leader, Leafstar, the ginger tom as the deputy, Sharpclaw, and the small gray she-cat is Echosong, medicine cat of SkyClan.
In the SkyClan and the Stranger Arc
- Sharpclaw tells Sandypaw and Honeypaw to quit playing around, threatening that he'll find something else for them to do. Leafstar notes he is the deputy and his dedication to his duty is rock-solid. Sharpclaw then orders a report from a patrol consisting of Ebonyclaw, Mintfur, and Shrewtooth. He listens to their report about an old fox scent and say they marked how the scent came in the territory by bending down small branches. Sharpclaw admires this tactic, and admits he never would have thought of it.
- Soon after, Leafstar sees Cherrytail and Sharpclaw going somewhere together and she stops them to have a word with him. She asks him if he's going to check the old fox scent himself and he awkwardly says that he's going hunting with Cherrytail but that they'll check it anyway. Both he and Cherrytail appear nervous. Leafstar notices this and wonders out loud what's up with them after they leave. Clovertail says that it's obvious that Sharpclaw and Cherrytail like each other and may become mates, and possibly have kits. Leafstar expresses surprise over this, saying that he always seems so dedicated to his deputy duties and that she never thought that he would consider a mate. Echosong reassures her, stating that Sharpclaw is a loyal deputy, and that he would never abandon his responsibilities, whatever he feels for Cherrytail.
- Sharpclaw returns and asks Leafstar if she wants to join his patrol but she refuses. Sharpclaw instead reports that the fox scent hasn't returned, but he has sent a border patrol to check. The next day, Leafstar asks Sharpclaw if she could lead a patrol, but he declines. He says that she could kit any day now. Leafstar gets angry, but Sharpclaw calmly points out that if she was a normal queen than she would be confined to the nursery by now. She gets his point and reluctantly agrees. Days later, Leafstar returns to camp in labor, and Sharpclaw is looking concerned as to what's going on. When Leafstar and her kits get caught by an elderly Twoleg, Leafstar calls to ask Nettlesplash as she knows where they are going. Sharpclaw does find them, and jumps at the window to see her but Leafstar's concerned mate bumps him off to try to speak to her. The old Twoleg spots them, and tries to give Sharpclaw milk but he hisses at her and prepares to swipe. Leafstar stops him, saying she means no harm. The patrol has no choice but to flee and prepare. Sharpclaw returns with a second patrol, sending Fallowfern in to help get the kits out. When Fallowfern, Harry and Leafstar are out with the kits, Sharpclaw takes one of the kits and flees with the patrol. Harry later joins the Clan and reveals his name is actually Sol. Billystorm and Leafstar also name their kits Firekit, Harrykit and Stormkit.
- Billystorm and Rockshade start arguing about how lazy the daylight-warriors are, Leafstar suggests resting during the day since the day is too hot. Shrewtooth stresses their enemies could sneak up on them, and Sharpclaw points out that they won't all sleep at once. Sharpclaw then offers to Leafstar to settle things down, and tells her to care for her kits since Billystorm is having trouble. After he has settled the argument, Sharpclaw tells Leafstar he's letting the warriors rest until after sunset, as they have enough fresh-kill and the food they catch will spoil too quickly anyway. Leafstar thinks his a fantastic deputy, and wonders how she would do it without him. When night falls, Billystorm and Ebonyclaw offer to hunt for the Clan without taking food from the fresh-kill pile, knowing they'll be fed at their housefolk's. Sharpclaw thanks them, then orders patrols. Leafstar notes he easily can shout orders, but she can tell he is hiding relief.
- Once the patrol with Sharpclaw comes back, the deputy yowls that there are injured cats, and Leafstar calls for Echosong. Echosong cares to Sharpclaw's nicked ear, and he tells Leafstar about a badger that attacked them at once. They managed to chase the badger off the territory, but they all got hurt. Sharpclaw voices his opinion that he doesn't think hunting at dusk will work, since it has put in competition with other predators. Leafstar replies that they prey is too well hidden in the heat of day, and Sharpclaw asks what they will do. Leafstar says she doesn't know, but they later decide to send out bigger patrols. Sharpclaw says it will be difficult to move quietly but it will give more protection. Sol comes back with a massive amount of prey, and the Clan feasts. The next morning, Leafstar notes that Sharpclaw can stick to business even at this time as he expresses his concern of Sol. Leafstar groans that he has more, but listens. Sharpclaw questions where he suddenly got the hunting skills as he never showed much in training. Leafstar explains cats can hunt well without formal training, his instincts probably kicked in. Sharpclaw admits he finds it difficult to believe that. Leafstar decides to go with Sol on a hunting patrol to see him in action.
- Once Sol and Leafstar return with more food again, Sharpclaw is amazed and asks if they caught it all. Leafstar replies they didn't, a fox did. Sharpclaw asks her to tell him she is joking. Sol doesn't see anything wrong, but Sharpclaw retorts that he knows nothing about the warrior code, and that the whole Clan is in danger now because of it. He angrily faces Sol as Leafstar says that this won't happen again, and no one will tell the Clan as there is no need to. The next day and while Cherrytail is teaching Sol, Sharpclaw comments he is not a born hunter, and that Leafstar is going through a lot of trouble for one cat. Sharpclaw agrees with Leafstar that they don't question their apprentices like this, and says he'll ask Patchfoot to help Sol, since he knows his way around hunting. Sharpclaw tells Leafstar that he has seen Sol hunt, and is certain he has no natural skills. That night, Leafstar hears footsteps and wonders if Sharpclaw has sent a night patrol without her consent. It is instead a couple of foxes.
- Leafstar raises the alarm, and Sharpclaw orders everyone to surround them. He says for everyone close to him to attack the male and everyone close to Leafstar to attack the female. He tells everyone to get ready, and Leafstar orders the attack. She knows that if she and Sharpclaw were just talking of a battle like this, he'd tell her to stay out of fight we she can command. They fight off the foxes, and Sharpclaw calls them mangy beasts, telling them to keep running. The next day, Leafstar gives Sol a training session, but admits that Sharpclaw is probably right that Sol doesn't have it. A Gathering soon takes place, and he seems content at first, but seems unhappy when Sol says he is ready to become a warrior. As soon as Leafstar refuses and Sol rushes away, a storm breaks. Sharpclaw goes to Leafstar's den and suggests evacuating the lower dens in fear of flooding as there are huge puddles forming at the bottom of the gorge. He says they can fit in the warriors' den for the night. The camp does flood however, and Sharpclaw rushes Stormkit safely out of the den. They wait at the top of the gorge for the rain and flooding to stop. The flooding dies down, but Lichenfur is killed.
- Sharpclaw helps in clearing away the debris from the camp after the flood by taking charge of most of the heavy lifting. He gives orders to the warriors to move a large branch before talking to Cherrytail. It's noted they have been arguing lately as he is worrying over how hard she's working to rebuild the camp since she is carrying their kits. Leafstar thinks she tries hard not to tease him much, Cherrytail does it for her instead. Cherrytail tells her to relax, and Sharpclaw says he would relax, but hesitates as to saying why. Cherrytail explains he can say out loud she is carrying kits as it's no secret. Sharpclaw tells her to keep quiet. He goes to Leafstar, asking for a moment of her time or if she would rather torment him too. Leafstar admits she'd rather torment, but won't. Sharpclaw asks Leafstar if the flood was a sign from StarClan, and Leafstar asks about what. Sharpclaw says he doesn't know that's why he is asking. Leafstar thinks it may be because she didn't make Sol a warrior. After Sol tries using ivy leaves as bedding, Sharpclaw adds that he ordered him to clear the stream and Sol said he had something more important to do. He says he hopes that was not it. Leafstar says to give him a chance as he hasn't been in the Clan long enough to learn everything. Sharpclaw thinks he hasn't been around to learn anything, that's what it looks like.
- When Leafstar's kits go missing, Sharpclaw says he hasn't seen them. Sharpclaw orders patrols to go and look for the kits, two cats per patrol. He decides to quarter the territory and search up the gorge. He tells Leafstar she should stay in camp should they return. Leafstar panics about her kits, and Sharpclaw firmly tells her the will find her kits. That night, Leafstar sees Sharpclaw taking a patrol out and Plumwillow tells Leafstar that Sharpclaw is taking the patrol to Billystorm's Twoleg nest as he thought the daylight-warrior took them. Leafstar races to Billystorm's nest, takes him on the roof and waits for Sharpclaw. He arrives with the patrol and Leafstar knows they are out for blood. She tells him that Billystorm hasn't taken her kits. Sharpclaw asks how she knows and Leafstar reveals he is with her. Billystorm insists he doesn't have the kits, and invites him to search. Sharpclaw stutters as he says that isn't necessary. They head back to camp and Sharpclaw wants to resume the search patrols, but Leafstar insists they still need to eat and defend themselves. Sharpclaw asks if she's calling off all patrols, but Leafstar says she, Billystorm and Echosong will keep looking.
- Eight rogues suddenly attack the camp, but Sharpclaw surprises them by bringing a patrol back and attacking them. He attacks a cat heading to his pregnant mate, and Cherrytail compliments on his timing. The rogues flee, and Sharpclaw shouts at them they have seen what SkyClan does to defend their territory. He warns them to stay away, or they will be beaten again. He says the warrior code clearly tells them that they don't need to kill to be victorious. As the Clan celebrates their victory, Sharpclaw is beside his mate. The search for Leafstar's kits continue, but the Clan finds out that Sol took the kits. Sharpclaw brings SkyClan to the old nest where the mean Twoleg was and challenges Sol when he says he's knows what the Clan should do. After Leafstar banishes Sol for good, and Sharpclaw looks satisfied with this.
In the Field Guide Arc
- Rock says that although Sharpclaw was a rogue named Scratch, he has the jumping ability and courage of a fully trained SkyClan warrior. Rock says that he will make a great leader someday, but he still has a lot left to learn from Leafstar, and adds that there might be less blood spilled while she is leader.
- Sharpclaw does not formally appear but is mentioned as the deputy of modern SkyClan.
- Sharpclaw is first mentioned of Leafstar’s page. He is a friend of Leaf who occasionally shared tongues. With the support of Sharpclaw, now a deputy, Leafstar led the Clan. It is also mentioned on Echosong's page that Sharpclaw and the loners of SkyClan were suspicious of Echosong at first.
- On Sharpclaw's own page, it is described that he was a loner known as Scratch. He is described to have the ability to jump like a SkyClan cat and have the courage of a true warrior. He was willing to join the Clan and defend the weak. He was dismissive of kittypets, claiming they cannot survive in the wild. He had an impulsive need to protect his Clan, causing trouble for him. In his heart, he thought he deserved to be leader of SkyClan, but his loyalty to his Clan made him equally loyal to the warrior code. Leafstar made Sharpclaw give the daylight-warriors a chance when his impatience spilled over. His closeness to Cherrytail gave him a sense of purpose he had not known before. It is described maybe one day he will lead the Clan after Leafstar but now, he is an ideal deputy.
In the Warriors App
- Sharpclaw's page in the Warriors App reveals the story of his past that he has kept hidden from his Clan.
- Sharpclaw is born as a kit named Scratch to Jessamy, a kittypet, along with his sister, Flower. They are initially happy with their elderly Twoleg owner, but the Twoleg leaves suddenly and Sharpclaw and his family are left with his younger kin. The younger Twoleg kits treat them very badly, holding them harshly and when they don't want to, playing rough, and eventually Jessamy takes herself and her kits into the wild where she teaches them how to survive.
In the Novellas
- When Ravenpaw, Barley, Riley and Bella return back again, Leafstar introduces Ravenpaw to Sharpclaw, who is scowling at him. Ravenpaw explains the story about how he and his friends saw the kittypets rush into their camp making trouble. Sharpclaw stands up, hackles raised as he asks if they were trespassing. Ravenpaw claims they were on the other side of border and Leafstar tells her deputy to sit down. He obeys, mentioning the kittypets are a nuisance, nothing else. Ravenpaw suggests a new border and Sharpclaw asks him what he knows about boundaries, pointing out he is not a Clan cat. Ravenpaw says they will only need one patrol the first night, if it fights hard enough. In response, Sharpclaw snaps they always fight hard enough. Leafstar goes with Ravenpaw’s suggestion and calls for a Clan Meeting, so Sharpclaw walks with Billystorm to join.
- Afterwards, Sharpclaw focuses on his deputy duties of sorting the patrols to making this border. Sharpclaw looks to Riley and Bella and guesses they wish to join in. He gives them separate duties before Macgyver states the daylight warriors will take part in every part of this boundary, including the battle. Sharpclaw thanks the daylight warrior for his words. During the night before the battle, Sharpclaw leads the battle patrol to the edge of the gorge and gives the signal to spread out along the border. He warns them to fight at his signal and he does give this signal, yowling to fight.
- Vicky has revealed on her Facebook that we will soon know what happened to Sharpclaw and Cherrytail.
- Sharpclaw was seen in The Rescue, Beyond the Code, and in After the Flood as a solid-colored cat instead of a tabby.
- He has been mistakenly shown with having blue eyes.
- He was called a rogue despite being a warrior at that time.
- Vicky said on her Facebook that we would meet Cherrytail's and Sharpclaw's kits in Ravenpaw's Farewell.  While not specifically pointed out in the novella, they were confirmed as Hawkwing, Duskpaw, Cloudmist, and Blossomheart in Hawkwing's Journey.
- He was mistakenly called 'Sky'.
Please do not edit this gallery
- Cloudmist: Living (As of Hawkwing's Journey)
- Blossomheart: Living (As of Hawkwing's Journey)
= Gender Unknown
- "Sharpclaw has pushed hard for the post of leader when he hadn’t completely understood the full meaning of the warrior code. He could make Leafstar’s life difficult if he had refused to accept her authority. But his fiery courage and fighting skills would balance well with Leafstar’s more thoughtful personality. And one day, when he had lived enough moons by the warrior code, he would make a good leader."
- —Firestar’s thoughts after Sharpclaw is made deputy Firestar's Quest, page 502
- "But I've never doubted you should be our leader, I've always believed that, ever since Firestar took you to the Skyrock to receive your nine lives. I challenged you, yes, so I could be sure of your conviction that you were doing the right thing."
- —Sharpclaw to Leafstar SkyClan's Destiny, page 459
- "Sharpclaw is my deputy. My second-in-command. His dedication to his duty is rock solid."
- —Leafstar thinking about Sharpclaw The Rescue, page 13
- "Sharpclaw will never neglect his duties, whatever he feels for Cherrytail."
- —Echosong talking to Leafstar about Sharpclaw The Rescue, page 23
- "Sharpclaw is a fantastic deputy. I'm not sure how I would manage without him."
- —Leafstar about Sharpclaw and her duties as leader and queen. Beyond the Code, page 22
- Cherrytail: "Would you relax, Sharpclaw?"
- Sharpclaw: "I could if we didn't...If you weren't..."
- After the Flood, page 17
- "Sharpclaw used to be a rogue called Scratch, with the SkyClan ability to jump and the courage of a fully trained Clan warrior. He will make a strong leader one day, but he has much to learn from Leafdapple, who might spill less blood as she builds her Clan."
- —Rock about Sharpclaw Cats of the Clans, page 88
- "Leafstar didn't hesitate to ask him to be her deputy; in his heart, Sharpclaw thought he deserved to be leader just as much, but his loyalty to the newly formed SkyClan made him equally committed to this supporting role."
- —Narrator The Ultimate Guide, page 149
- "[Jessamy, Scratch, and Flower] became rogues, proud of their ability to survive without Twolegs and hostile to any cat that challenged their fragile survival."
- —Narrator Warriors App, page Leafstar, Echosong, and Sharpclaw's section
|Sharpclaw's Warrior Ceremony|
|Sharpclaw's Deputy Ceremony|
References and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 333
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 282
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Revealed in the Warriors App
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 149
- ↑ Revealed in Hawkwing's Journey, page 188
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 501
- ↑ Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 335
- ↑ Revealed in SkyClan's Destiny, page 311
- ↑ Revealed in Hawkwing's Journey, page 216
- ↑ Revealed in Firestar's Quest, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 301
- ↑ Revealed in SkyClan's Destiny, page 18
- ↑ Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 304
- ↑ Revealed in SkyClan's Destiny, page 70
- ↑ Revealed in Hawkwing's Journey, page 198
- ↑ Revealed in SkyClan's Destiny, page 301
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- ↑ Revealed in The Rescue, page 13
- ↑ Revealed in Beyond the Code, page 21
- ↑ Revealed in After the Flood, page 11
- ↑ Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 148
- ↑ Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 382
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 Revealed in Hawkwing's Journey, page 11
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 Revealed in Hawkwing's Journey, page 7
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 Revealed in Hawkwing's Journey, page 33
- ↑ Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 309
- ↑ Revealed in After the Flood, page 17
- ↑ Revealed in Hawkwing's Journey, page 21