|"It's over. It's over, and peace has come."|
|— Leafpool addressing Firestar, Brambleclaw, and Squirrelflight in Sunset, page 303|
- Below contains in-depth information for chapter twenty three of Sunset. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: 23 (of 23)
- Page Numbers: 301-303
- Squirrelflight is seen ordering Ashfur to camp to fetch help, as Ashfur had reported Brambleclaw and Hawkfrost near Firestar, who had been captured in a fox trap. Leafpool is racing down, smelling the fear scent from Ashfur as her trail to Firestar, supposedly injured. It is also mentioned about Leafpool's previous distrust for Brambleclaw around her father, as she thinks Brambleclaw may have inherited Tigerstar's blood-thirsty ambition. There is a strong reek of blood.
- Leafpool finds Firestar, covered in blood, next to the lake's edge. Brambleclaw is standing over Firestar, his paws mattered in blood also. Leafpool grows angry at Brambleclaw, thinking he killed her father. Firestar says that Hawkfrost set a trap for Firestar, but Brambleclaw saved him. Leafpool moves the fox trap and finds Firestar's leg is bleeding. She realizes the blood on Brambleclaw's paws are not Firestar's, but his claws are muddy and broken, and Leafpool works out that Brambleclaw dug out Firestar's leg with a stick.
- Squirrelflight thanks Brambleclaw for saving her father's life. Brambleclaw states that he only did what any cat would do. Leafpool wonders where all the blood came from, when she discovers Hawkfrost's dead body in the shallows of the lake. The lake is stained with red around Hawkfrost, and Leafpool remembers the prophecy Yellowfang had given her: "Before all is peaceful, blood will spill blood, and the lake will run red."
- Leafpool finally understands the prophecy. Brambleclaw and Hawkfrost are kin, and Brambleclaw killed Hawkfrost, definitely spilling blood. Leafpool knows that she was right about Hawkfrost, that he was too ambitious like his father Tigerstar. She is happy about the peace that will now come to the Clans. Leafpool states how the chaos is over, and that peace will come.
References and citations
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23|