|"I promise you all that I will lead WindClan with the fierce devotion of a father and the pure love of a mother. Nothing matters more to me than making WindClan strong so that future generations may live with dignity and peace. Every cat I have known— Every cat I have loved has taught me the meaning of friendship and the unbending power of the warrior code."|
|— Tallstar to StarClan in Tallstar's Revenge, page 502|
In the Super Edition Arc
- Palebird calls out to Tallkit to be careful as he goes out exploring in the camp. He answers back that he'll be alright, and Brackenwing mentions Barkkit and Shrewkit will watch out for him. Tallkit notes that this is his second sunrise outside of the nursery and he is excited. Barkkit teases him, saying he looks like he's turning to ice in the cold air. Tallkit is amused, thinking to himself how his white muzzle and paws would make it easier for him to hide in snow. Tallkit seems to be determined to prove himself equal to the older kits in the nursery, being the youngest, attempting to keep up with them as best as he can. Tallkit is described as nervous around the WindClan medicine cat, Hawkheart, remembering how his mother said he had little patience for kits. Hawkheart proceeds to tell Tallkit to stay under cover, as not to attract buzzards into the camp. He is shocked, but Reedfeather cuts in, telling the medicine cat not to scare him. Shrewkit reveals that he is going with his brother and Tallkit to go see the Hunting Stones.
- Shrewkit teases him for blinking in the snow and he bristles, defending himself, stating that he opened his eyes quicker than any other kit in the nursery and that he simply isn't used to snow yet. He then goes on to remember how his mother warned him that leaf-bare hit WindClan hardest of all the Clans. Hunting patrols return and a debate breaks between the Clan's tunnelers and moor runners; Tallkit looks between them when an awkward silence occurs. Barkkit calls out to Tallkit to hurry up, taking his attention away from the other cats. Barkkit and Shrewkit easily make it over to The Hunting Stones, and he attempts to climb up next to them, failing miserably. Shrewkit taunts Tallkit, giving him the nickname 'Wormkit' in reference to his parents being tunnelers, giving him tunneler blood. Barkkit encourges him to try again. This time he succeeds. The elders come and start talking about old fox tales. Sandgorse, his father comes, and asks to take him tunneling. Shrewkit sneers that he is going worming.
- Tallkit has doubts about his destiny as a tunneler, and often daydreams about the life of a moor runner. When his naming ceremony comes to fruition, Heatherstar names Dawnstripe as his mentor, whom is a moor runner. The tunnelers are outraged since they were promised a tunneler, and she responds that she has watched Tallkit and saw him to be more fit as a moor runner, and after he has trained as a moor runner, he could decide to become a tunneler if he so chose. Sandgorse is outraged, and while Tallpaw is relieved, when he talks to his father about it, he admits that he doesn't want to go tunneling.
- Tallpaw learns many new skills from Dawnstripe, and starts to develop impressive running skills. He pretends to be a rabbit in Ryepaw, Doepaw, and Stagpaw's apprentice assessment, and nearly succeeds in getting to the rock before they do. He also trains with Shrewpaw, but the apprentice never ceases to taunt him about his destiny as a tunneler, and often calls him Wormpaw. The two never get along when they train together, either. One day when patrolling, they encounter the tunnelers, and Sandgorse pleads to take his son underground since Heatherstar wants every cat to have basic training with both sets of skills. He teaches Tallpaw how to dig and where to put the lose soil. The tunnelers lead him to the gorge tunnel that they are working on, and as they burst through, the hole was dug too low and the tunnel begins to fill with water. The cats run for their lives, and while Tallpaw is horrified, the others, especially his father, enjoyed the thrill of racing the water. Tallpaw is angry with Sandgorse and informs him that he will never be a tunneler just because his parents enjoyed it. Later, Dawnstripe hears of what happened in the tunnels from Tallpaw and Woollytail, and informs Heatherstar. The WindClan leader speaks with her deputy about it, and declares that the gorge tunnel will not be allowed to be continued for safety reasons. Sandgorse blames it on his son and is furious with him, glowering at him but not speaking with him for the longest time.
- Tallpaw later goes to his first Gathering, which Shrewpaw teases that he would go without his mother, Palebird. On the way to the Gathering, he and his mentor Dawnstripe discuss about Tallpaw not wanting to be a tunneler after the flood incident. Stagleap then appears and tells them to hurry up, and that he beat Doespring in a race to Fourtrees. Doespring charges up behind him and says he didn't. The cats hurry on to the Gathering.
- At the Gathering, Tallpaw looks around as he hears ThunderClan arriving. He watches as Pinestar greets Heatherstar, and Goosefeather appears to talk with Hawkheart. Stagleap comments that Goosefeather "goes into the woods and chats to the trees and squirrels." Tallpaw asks Dawnstripe if he can talk with the other Clans. Dawnstripe replies that he can, but if the clouds cover the moon, the truce is over. Stagleap adds that he should be careful on what he says, for he could give away WindClan secrets if he talked too much, and might seem hostile to other cats if he talked too little. Tallpaw understands, and Stagleap announces that ShadowClan has arrived. Tallpaw wrinkles his nose at the smell of pinesap and dank moss from the Clan. Stagleap assures he'll get used to it and that they smell WindClan odd. Tallpaw lifts his chin and replies that nobody could find the scent of wind odd. Doespring then shows Tallpaw the deputies, and a couple of elders. A couple feet away, Shrewpaw, Moonpaw and Blizzardpaw argue about WindClan living on the moors. Stormtail then walks up and takes Moonpaw far away from the other apprentices. Tallpaw then tries to remember the name of every cat, but worries he won't know what to say or do to them. He then waits for RiverClan with the other Clans.
- RiverClan then arrive and Tallpaw sees Hailstar, the leader of RiverClan. He then asks Cloudrunner how the other Clans live under trees. Cloudrunner replies that they got used to it. Tallpaw then tries to find a seat as the Gathering starts. He then sits next to Stagleap. Cedarstar gives his report on ShadowClan and mentions three new kits born to Silverflame. The ShadowClan cats look around nervously. Tallpaw then guesses there was a secret behind the good news. Cedarstar then nods to Pinestar to give his report on ThunderClan. Tallpaw looks at ThunderClan cats and thinks about why they look so pleased with themselves. Cloudrunner than mews that Pinestar didn't mention anything about the dogs. Heatherstar then gives her report and mentions Tallpaw as a new apprentice. The Clans cheer for a bit, then Heatherstar finishes her report. Tallpaw asks Stagleap why she won't mention the tunnels. Stagleap replies that the other Clans don't really know about tunneling, so why care. An unnamed RiverClan she-cat is seen with Reedfeather as Tallpaw talks with Frogpaw, Newtpaw, Dawnstripe, and Ashpaw. The Gathering then ends and WindClan return home.
- Tallpaw follows Dawnstripe after Larksplash had mentioned that the visitors were there. Every cat in WindClan is awake. Barkpaw asks about the visitors that Larksplash had meowed about. Shrewpaw sniffs the cats as Redclaw scolds him. Shrewpaw is confused about why they are there. A black and white she-cat meows about Wee Hen. Bess, the black and white she-cat, keeps talking about Wee Hen and how she didn't survive leaf-bare. Whiteberry flicks his tail, happy to see Algernon again.
- More Coming Soon
- Following Heatherstar's accusations of ShadowClan cats trespassing on WindClan land, Talltail and three of his Clanmates are found in ShadowClan territory. Yellowpaw notes a quick look of guilt on their faces when the patrol she is in confronts the trespassers, though it is quickly gone and replaced with defiance. A battle ensues, and Yellowpaw battles Talltail. She is easily defeated as she is distracted by her Clanmates' pain, and Dawnstripe tells the young warrior to cease his attack. When a back-up patrol of ShadowClan cats arrive, the WindClan cats retreat.
- Talltail takes part in yet another battle with ShadowClan much later when the ShadowClan cats enter into WindClan territory to confront them about a half-eaten rabbit with WindClan scent on it found by Brokentail. When the WindClan cats win the battle and drive ShadowClan out, Talltail shouts a warning to stay out of their lands to the retreating warriors.
- At a Gathering, while the cats are still chatting, Rainflower points out Talltail to Oakheart. She states that some day he'll be the WindClan leader. A little later, during the Gathering, Heatherstar begins talking about kittypets, and Talltail points out that they're too slow to chase after the rabbits.
- Talltail is standing by Reedfeather and Dawnstripe when Crookedjaw and Brambleberry are on their way to the Moonstone. After questioning the two cats, they let them pass.
- Tallpaw is an apprentice, and his mentor is Dawnstripe.
- Moons later at a Gathering, he is introduced to the Clans as a new warrior, his name being Talltail. Later, He is seen whispering into Heatherstar's ear. Snowpaw of ThunderClan points him out to her sister, Bluepaw, saying that her mentor, Sparrowpelt, told her that Talltail would be leader one day because he is a good and smart warrior. When Talltail sees them whispering, he glares at them, hisses, and turns away, still angry at ThunderClan about the battle. At another Gathering, when the topic of kittypets comes up, Talltail comments that they are too slow to catch rabbits, much to the Clans' amusement. The next day, when he is on patrol with Reedfeather, the two find Bluefur and Pinestar crossing over to Highstones. Reedfeather checks if they had eaten any prey before growling at them to go ahead. Talltail is seen once more at a Gathering when Oakheart of RiverClan announces their plan to get rid of Twolegs from their territory. Talltail calls up that it sounds like they are handling the situation well, showing his approval of Oakheart.
- During a Gathering, Tallstar greets Firestar when ThunderClan finally arrives. He and the ThunderClan leader exchange a glance when Blackstar starts the Gathering first. After Blackstar finishes, he nudges Tallstar forward next. The WindClan leader reports that Ashfoot had a litter of three kits and that Onewhisker and Mudclaw had chased a fox off. He then warns Leopardstar that it crossed into RiverClan. The Gathering breaks up soon after, and Firestar sees him leading his cats back to the moor.
- Tallstar does not appear, but is mentioned by Graypaw to be the leader of WindClan as Graypaw describes the different Clan leaders to Firepaw just before a Gathering. As the Gathering finally starts, Brokenstar, the leader of ShadowClan, reveals that all of WindClan has been driven out by ShadowClan. This causes much surprise and anger among the other two Clans as the fate of WindClan is unknown.
- Tallstar appears with his Clan in the prologue as they struggle to find a new home. He comforts Ashfoot, saying that they would be safer living near the Thunderpath than in their own territory. He sends out Deadfoot and Onewhisker to look for rats as a source of food. Deadfoot and Onewhisker return and show WindClan a tunnel under the Thunderpath in which they could live in. Tallstar is the first to accept it as their new home, and the rest of the Clan reluctantly follows him inside it.
- Later, Fireheart and Graystripe are sent to retrieve WindClan and bring them home. When they see Tallstar for the first time, he is much skinnier and he smells of rotting crowfood. He is hostile towards the ThunderClan warriors, and tells them that he was expecting ShadowClan. When they hear that Brokenstar has been driven away, the WindClan warriors are surprised, but then purr in satisfaction when they hear RiverClan warriors are very poor rabbit-hunters when they try hunting them. Tallstar agrees that Fireheart and Graystripe could travel home with WindClan, and they leave the tunnel under the Thunderpath within moments.
- Tallstar leads the Clan home, with the assistance of the ThunderClan warriors. After reaching Highstones, he agrees that they should stop for the night when Fireheart suggests it. WindClan then spend the night sheltered in an abandoned Twoleg nest, near the barn where Barley and Ravenpaw live. When Barkface, the medicine cat, interprets an omen in the clouds, Tallstar is shaken by his words, but calmly replies that either way, WindClan would be returning home today. He allows Deadfoot and other warriors to run ahead once they near their territory, but takes lead again in bringing them back to their camp. He then orders Deadfoot and Onewhisker to escort Fireheart and Graystripe safely to Fourtrees, before thanking them once more.
- WindClan is present at the next Gathering and he greets Bluestar with a polite nod. However, Bluestar does not welcome WindClan home, due to the more pressing matter of RiverClan hunting on Sunningrocks. When the topic of scents that smell like ShadowClan come up, Tallstar admits that they have been found in WindClan territory as well. Crookedstar then accuses Tallstar of forming an alliance with ThunderClan, and Tallstar angrily retorts that that had not happened. As clouds covered the sky, he announces that the Gathering is over by the will of StarClan.
- A while later, RiverClan and ShadowClan unite to try and drive out WindClan again. Tallstar sends Onewhisker to bring help from ThunderClan, and two patrols join the fight to help WindClan. After the battle, Tallstar thanks Tigerclaw, the deputy of ThunderClan, who, in response, raises his chin up high and accepts the thanks.
- Tallstar is present at the next Gathering with the other representatives of WindClan. He starts the Gathering by announcing that an elder has died, but the rest of the warriors are recovering from the recent battle, making them fine to fight another day. He gives Nightstar and Crookedstar a meaningful look, to which Nightstar hisses angrily and Crookedstar growls deeply in his throat. Bluestar, however, congratulates Tallstar, saying they should rejoice at the news. After Nightstar announces that ThunderClan is sheltering Brokentail, formerly Brokenstar, Tallstar immediately shifts his anger towards Bluestar and ThunderClan. He spits at Bluestar, saying that she is a traitor, and WindClan responds by calling the rest of ThunderClan traitors. The Gathering ends without any fighting, but Nightstar and Tallstar promise that ThunderClan will expect trouble from them if they continue sheltering Brokentail.
- Not long passes before WindClan and ShadowClan form their own alliance and together attack ThunderClan, determined to kill Brokentail. Fireheart sees Tallstar with Cinderfur, Deadfoot, Stumpytail, Onewhisker, and Wetfoot. The two Clans succeed in driving ThunderClan back and breaking into their camp. Nightstar and Onewhisker are the first to break through the tunnel with Tallstar right behind them. Tallstar is close to reaching Brokentail until Tigerclaw attacks him. As more ThunderClan cats return to camp, ShadowClan and WindClan are forced to retreat.
- After the battle against ThunderClan, Tallstar is next seen at another Gathering, though he shows no signs of having an alliance with Nightstar anymore. His reaction to the news that Brokentail is dead and Fireheart is the new deputy of ThunderClan isn't shown.
- Later, while Fireheart and Onewhisker are talking at a Gathering, Onewhisker tells his friend that Tallstar isn't happy with Mudclaw for turning him and Bluestar away from going to the Moonstone, showing that he may have forgiven Bluestar and ThunderClan. Tallstar approaches Fireheart soon after this, saying that Fireheart comes on to WindClan territory more often than normal. When Fireheart responds by saying that he is only serving his Clan, Tallstar goes on to say that he wasn't surprised when Bluestar named Fireheart her deputy. He also says that he was not among the cats that doubted Fireheart's ability to be deputy.
- Looking around, he asks where Bluestar is, and Fireheart reluctantly replies that she is still injured from the recent fire. When only three ShadowClan cats appear at the Gathering, Tallstar asks what is holding up Nightstar, to which Runningnose replies bluntly that Nightstar is dead. Tallstar proceeds to jump up onto the Great Rock while waiting for the new ShadowClan leader to arrive.
- When the new leader of ShadowClan is revealed to be Tigerstar, Tallstar accepts him, not knowing the treachery he committed while in ThunderClan. Tallstar is the first to notice that the leader of ThunderClan is not present when Fireheart jumps up beside the three leaders. He reassures them that Bluestar is fine and that she will recover from the recent fire soon. When Tigerstar announces that Brokentail's allies have been accepted back into the Clan, Tallstar shares his doubts about allowing the warriors back into the Clan. Tigerstar tells him that they were simply following the warrior code when they followed their leader. Tallstar continues to be doubtful, but finally accepts Tigerstar's word. Tallstar makes his report after Fireheart speaks, announcing new apprentices and warriors.
- At the following Gathering, Tallstar sits next to Tigerstar while Bluestar stalks past him, convinced Tallstar is now an enemy for trusting Tigerstar. When the news comes out that Crookedstar has died and Leopardstar has taken his place, Tallstar meows that Crookedstar will be missed but also wishes Leopardstar good luck in her leadership. After Tigerstar speaks, Tallstar makes to take his place but Bluestar shoves him back. Bluestar then angrily reports that WindClan has been hunting in ThunderClan territory, to which Tallstar retorts that they haven't. He scoffs at her proof of rabbit remains, then accuses Bluestar of stealing WindClan prey. Once everything calms down, he swears by StarClan that WindClan had not been stealing prey, to which Bluestar retorts that StarClan means nothing to her. He ends the Gathering then, promising a fight if Bluestar is looking for one.
- Later on, Fireheart comes to the WindClan camp after convincing Onewhisker that he needs to talk to Tallstar. Tallstar angrily appears to Fireheart. Fireheart quickly tells them of Bluestar's plans to attack WindClan, but that he that wants to prevent pointless bloodshed. He also tells them that it is a dog that has been stealing the prey, not cats. Fireheart then tells Tallstar that he wants the two Clans to meet and make peace. Tallstar becomes thoughtful, but says that he will not risk one of his warriors by sending them to ThunderClan. Fireheart tells them that he can send Ravenpaw to speak to Bluestar instead. Tallstar agrees and sends Onewhisker to the barn where Ravenpaw lives. He orders Fireheart to leave with Deadfoot escorting him, but promises Fireheart he will be at Fourtrees at dawn.
- Ravenpaw reaches Bluestar in time and she agrees to meet Tallstar. Both leaders meet at Fourtrees with a warrior patrol behind them. Tallstar first orders his warriors not to move or attack before he begins speaking to Bluestar. He proceeds to swear, by anything Bluestar held sacred, that WindClan had not been stealing any prey. His words seem to reach her finally, and he tells her that WindClan, too, has lost prey as well. Bluestar then irritably accepts his word and Tallstar thanks Fireheart for stopping any bloodshed.
- At Firestar's first Gathering as leader, Tallstar greets him warmly with Deadfoot at his side. He reports that Tornear informed him of his new status and the death of Bluestar, before saying that he will be a worthy successor. He proceeds to jump up on the Great Rock and Firestar follows him shortly afterwards. While they wait for RiverClan and ShadowClan to arrive, Firestar tries to tell Tallstar that he is worried about Tigerstar, but the two Clans arrive together just then. When Tigerstar announces that StarClan has given him their blessing for all four Clans to become one, TigerClan, Tallstar, along with the rest of his Clan and ThunderClan, are outraged. Tigerstar asks Tallstar and Firestar to join him and Leopardstar. Tallstar steps forward and addresses all the Clans, saying that Tigerstar has no right to use the name of an ancient Clan. Firestar then steps forward, standing beside Tallstar, also refusing to join. Tigerstar then leaves the Gathering with RiverClan and ShadowClan in tow.
- Not long after the Gathering, TigerClan attacks WindClan. Tallstar sends Mudclaw to get help from ThunderClan, but the battle is over by the time they arrive. After a patrol is sent out to check WindClan territory, Tallstar pulls Firestar to the side and gives him a message from Tigerstar. Tigerstar said that he was tired of waiting and wanted their decision to join TigerClan or not, while also showing what he would do if Firestar refused, which was, in this case, killing Morningflower's kit, Gorsepaw. Tallstar and Firestar then make a pact to join together and fight TigerClan or die.
- The next day, Firestar and Tallstar bring their Clans to Fourtrees to confront Tigerstar and TigerClan. Tallstar allows Firestar to lead the Clans forward, and Firestar knows that they are now LionClan. Tigerstar then reveals his plan: if the two leaders refuse, he will reveal to them BloodClan, a large group of rogues living under their leader, Scourge. When Scourge refuses to listen to Tigerstar, Scourge rakes his claws down Tigerstar's stomach and steps back as all nine lives are ripped from the TigerClan leader. As it happens, Tallstar has to order his warriors to stay together and break away. Scourge then leaves them with three days to leave the forest, or BloodClan would drive them out. Tallstar speaks with Firestar afterwards and both agree that they would fight and not be driven out of the forest.
- After three days, at dawn, Tallstar leads WindClan forward and they meet up with Firestar and ThunderClan and Leopardstar with TigerClan. Tallstar and Leopardstar then allow Firestar to speak for all the Clans to Scourge. Scourge then immediately yowls for his cats to attack and Firestar yowls the order for LionClan to do so as well. After that, Tallstar is seen battling a black-and-white rogue when the cat notices that Scourge is dead. BloodClan then scatters in fear and Tallstar takes the moment to lead WindClan forward and chase BloodClan out of the forest completely. Firestar and Tallstar then speak briefly afterwards before parting ways, becoming rivals once more.
In the New Prophecy Arc
- Tallstar continues to be leader of WindClan, although he is noticeably older than before.
- At a Gathering, he is reluctant to speak but reveals that WindClan has no water left on their territory. He is forced to ask Leopardstar for permission to enter RiverClan territory to drink from the river. He then tells her that Onewhisker and Mudclaw went to the gorge to see if the water was reachable, but it was too dangerous. Leopardstar agrees reluctantly, but only for as long as the drought lasts. When the news of Mothwing, a former rogue, becoming a medicine cat comes up, Tallstar shares his doubts but is reluctant to speak after the favor Leopardstar granted him.
- When Ravenpaw visits ThunderClan to warn Firestar about unusual Twoleg activities, Firestar dismisses his friend's worries but suggests he drop by WindClan and tell Tallstar as well.
- Later, the leader enters RiverClan territory and drinking from the river when Brambleclaw, Feathertail, and Stormfur try to speak to Crowpaw. Days later, even though it has rained, Tallstar continues bringing his Clan to the river in RiverClan. Mistyfoot leads a patrol with Hawkfrost and an older cat with her over to Tallstar and they begin arguing. Tallstar returns to his Clanmates and takes his time leading them home.
- At the next Gathering, Leopardstar immediately regrets her permission that she granted Tallstar when he confirmed that WindClan had water again, though she couldn't say anything about his Clan continuing to drink there after it had rained. Tallstar thanks her, but Hawkfrost steps forward then, accusing WindClan of stealing RiverClan prey. Tallstar swears that WindClan never stole any prey, and becomes angry when Leopardstar implies that they are thieves. Firestar quickly steps forward and calms the leaders before fighting breaks out. When the news of missing warriors comes up, Tallstar announces that Crowpaw has disappeared, but they had thought perhaps a fox had gotten him. He is troubled by the news that cats from all four Clans had disappeared and would most likely be traveling together.
- As prey begins to disappear and Twolegs begin to destroy the territory, Firestar decides to visit Tallstar, hoping that they can join together. On the way there, the ThunderClan patrol sees WindClan cats hunting on their territory and they run ahead to warn Tallstar. By the time the patrol reaches WindClan territory, Tallstar has his warriors ready for a fight. Tallstar is angry and irritated by Firestar's visit, furiously telling him that they would not be driven out by him. Firestar replies he only wants to talk and does not have enough warriors with him to take on the whole of WindClan. Firestar then announces that WindClan have been stealing their prey. Furious, Mudclaw and Graystripe get into a fight while Tallstar watches with a look of contempt. Firestar orders the fighting to stop. The ThunderClan leader then proposes that they work together and come up with a solution, but Tallstar replies that there is no solution for this and that WindClan does not look to him for help. He leads his warriors away then, trusting Firestar to lead his own home.
- Since the destruction of the forest, Tallstar has easily become one of the weakest cats out of all four Clans due to age and the territory's destruction.
- After disappearing a few moons ago, Crowpaw finally returns to WindClan. He tells Tallstar what will become of the forest and that all four Clans must meet at the Great Rock to wait for the sign of the dying warrior. On his last hope, Tallstar agrees to meet at the Great Rock at moonhigh and brings Mudclaw, Barkface, and Crowpaw with him. When the four arrive, they discover that the other Clan leaders are also there. The four leaders climb up onto the overturned Great Rock. Tallstar, with the support of Firestar, waits for the sign. As they wait, Crowpaw reveals that Tallstar is more than willing to leave, but his greatest fear is that WindClan will not be strong enough to survive the journey to a new home.
- As moonhigh comes and leaves, Blackstar is the first to leave, saying that no sign would come. Tallstar argues that StarClan is going to show them the way, before he practically slips down the Great Rock and onto the ground. When Firestar and Blackstar are close to start fighting, Tallstar rasps that if they did, the sign would never come. All the representatives leave except for those from ThunderClan and WindClan. Tallstar desperately tells him that they must leave together, since his Clan is starving. Firestar miserably argues that they cannot leave without the other three Clans, as he also thought of StarClan. Tallstar leaves then, saying that they are too weak to make the journey alone and must wait for ThunderClan.
- Tallstar leads his whole Clan to Sunningrocks where ThunderClan is sheltering. Longtail is the first to notice them, and no cat challenges them as they approach. He speaks to Firestar, pleading for his help before collapsing onto the ground. He reports that Twolegs have completely destroyed their home and that they have nowhere to go now. Before Firestar can decide what to do, Tawnypelt appears from ShadowClan, begging for help. She tells them that her camp was being destroyed and cats were still inside of it. Tallstar immediately decides to come help, and Firestar reluctantly agrees. He assigns the WindClan warriors the job of making sure the path leading away from the camp wasn't blocked. He waits for the last cats to leave, and hisses at Squirrelpaw to hurry up, just as a tree falls in their path. Tallstar makes it through, climbing over the tree and back over to Firestar. Another tree begins to fall near them, and the cats nearby run out of the way, saving Tallpoppy's kits. He later asks Leafpaw if Firestar is alright, since the tree had fallen on him, and she reassures him that Firestar is.
- Tallstar then walks back to Sunningrocks with Mistyfoot aiding him. Soon, he collapses on the rocks with Crowpaw, Mudclaw, and Tornear gathered around him. When Brambleclaw proposes that it would be best to meet at the edge of WindClan territory for their journey, Firestar, Mistyfoot, and Tallstar all agree with him.
- On the day of the journey, the Clans are held up due to the death of Mudfur, RiverClan's medicine cat. Tallstar expresses grief towards the old medicine cat before moments later reporting that WindClan was ready to leave. As the cats set out, Cinderpelt gives the last of her traveling herbs to the old leader. After a narrow escape from monsters, Leafpaw is seen looking after Tallstar, who is frightened and on the verge of collapsing. Cinderpelt takes over for her apprentice so Leafpaw could see to a few kits. When they stop at the barn, Tallstar appears to have recovered and greets Ravenpaw politely. The next morning, Tallstar agrees that the barn is prey-rich, but he and the others are dissuaded from staying by Firestar. As the day goes on, Onewhisker is seen constantly by Tallstar's side and the other leaders often look at him with worry.
- After reaching the mountains, an eagle swoops down among the Clans in search of prey. Onewhisker and Hawkfrost shield Tallstar from being attacked, but as the bird goes in for an attack, the Tribe of Rushing Water cats appear and kill it. The Clans all agree to stay with the Tribe for a day or so, with Mudclaw speaking on behalf of WindClan. Inside the cave that holds the Tribe's home, Firestar introduces the leaders to Stoneteller, who notices how weak Tallstar is. He tells Bird to bring Tallstar strengthening herbs. That night, he lays out beside Dustpelt and Onewhisker. When Stoneteller announces that they will have a Gathering of their own in honor of Feathertail, Tallstar interrupts the meeting, saying it is time for Crowpaw's warrior ceremony. He begins saying the ancient words when Crowpaw stops him. Tallstar is surprised but agrees to Crowpaw's request of naming him Crowfeather and does so. A tribe-kit calls him a skinny old raven, but the kit's mother scolds him by saying that Tallstar is a noble Clan leader.
- The next morning, the Clans leave the Tribe. Mudclaw once more speaks for WindClan, saying that they are ready. As the journey progresses, Tallstar no longer leans against Onewhisker, growing more confident and sure of himself. He becomes hopeful when they learn that they have possibly reached their new home. Not long after this, the Clans take first sight of their new home by a lake.
- As the Clans first approach the lake, Barkface reports that Tallstar cannot go on for very much longer and a patrol is sent out to make sure no predators are nearby. When it is safe, Mudclaw nudges Tallstar to his feet and brings him closer to the other cats. He collapses onto the ground moments after Firestar begins to address the Clans, and Mudclaw stands in place for him to represent WindClan. Once the meeting is over, Barkface nudges Tallstar to a more comfortable spot to sleep where he lies down again and is visibly trembling. By now, most of the cats know that he is slowly dying. He sleeps through the next meeting with Barkface at his side. Mudclaw snidely remarks that Tallstar won't be leader for long and Onewhisker is mad at him for saying this.
- As the day goes on, Onewhisker keeps up a vigil at Tallstar's side, so his leader would not be alone in his death. That night, Tallstar wakes up finally and sends Barkface to fetch Firestar. Brambleclaw comes along with him and the two ThunderClan cats gather around Tallstar while Barkface goes off in search of herbs. On his deathbed, Tallstar first thanks Firestar for his support and then tells Brambleclaw that he could make a good replacement as deputy for Graystripe, much to Firestar's dismay. Onewhisker arrives just before his leader's death and Tallstar, with his last few breaths, appoints Onewhisker as his deputy, even though the right words weren't spoken. Tallstar says Mudclaw cares more about being strong than being wise. His decision later causes a rebellion among WindClan for leadership; infuriated on finding out about the sudden change of deputy, and fed by his own ambition, Mudclaw is upset by this and stages a revolt against WindClan.
- When Cinderpelt hears of her impending death from StarClan, Tallstar is among the warriors there to tell her. As Bluestar says she should know how much her Clan owes her, Tallstar steps forward, dipping his head in respect, and adding how much all four Clans owe her, including StarClan. Cinderpelt thanks him, and the old leader is surprised that Cinderpelt had faith in StarClan her whole life, despite how hard her life had been.
- When Leafpool visits the Moonpool for the first time after Cinderpelt's death and shares tongues with her warrior ancestors, she sees Bluestar, Feathertail, Silverstream, Shrewpaw, Larchkit, Hollykit, Spottedleaf, Yellowfang, Mudfur, and Tallstar.
- After this, Tallstar's successor, Onewhisker, receives his nine lives and new name, Onestar. Squirrelflight notes how much more confident Onestar is now compared to after Tallstar's death.
In the Power of Three Arc
- When Leafpool seeks advice from StarClan over the matter of who should be deputy with the return of Graystripe, Tallstar appears, commenting that if Firestar is wise, he will choose the warrior who knows the Clan best. Bluestar warns him that that will be a hard choice to make; however, she agrees with the WindClan leader. Jaypaw, who had been secretly watching, informs Leafpool that he thought Tallstar and Bluestar were hinting that Firestar should choose Brambleclaw.
- He later appears before Barkface in a dream while he is at the Moonpool. Tallstar warns him that dogs would come to WindClan territory soon, but he doesn't know how many, and that the Twolegs would bring them when the sheep come to eat the grass. Once more, Jaypaw watches the exchange secretly.
- When StarClan warriors begin to discuss the prophecy that involves Jaypaw, Hollypaw, and Lionpaw, Bluestar tells Spottedleaf and Whitestorm that Tallstar held her up, saying that he was fretting as usual.
- Mousefur later mentions how much WindClan has changed since Tallstar's leadership when Onestar begins to show more aggression than usual against ThunderClan.
In the Field Guide Arc
- Tallstar offers a brief introduction on WindClan, a Clan that has known great suffering, but always survives. He finishes by saying that WindClan will last forever.
- In "Raid on the Camp", the battle between ShadowClan and WindClan is described up to the point where Tallstar agrees with Deadfoot that they must leave or have so many cats in their Clan be killed to the point where there is no more WindClan.
- He is listed in the Significant Leaders section for WindClan as one of the wisest and longest-lived WindClan leaders. He had an unusually close relationship with ThunderClan and their leader, Firestar. He watched over his Clan when they were driven out by Brokenstar, and was later the first to argue for leaving the forest when it close to being completely destroyed. Tallstar, on his deathbed, changed Onewhisker to his deputy instead of Mudclaw, a wise decision in the long run.
- Rock tells the kits of StarClan that Tallstar was a wise leader who liked to avoid battle, but if it was necessary he would fight fiercely and powerfully. Some cats thought he was weak because he liked to make alliances. He lost his ninth life once the Clans reached their new homes, but worrying about Mudclaw's aggressive nature, changed Onewhisker to his deputy. This was foolish, Rock says, because he should have known that Mudclaw would harbor a grudge, and the battle that resulted from this nearly destroyed WindClan. It was also noted that he had killed the snake that bit Adderkit, and often protected the kits in his Clan by battling the other types of animals in his territory.
- In "Too Late for Regrets: Tallstar Explains," Tallstar tells Bluestar about his choice for appointing Onewhisker deputy right before he died. It is revealed that Tallstar had a dream of a blood-stained hillside, with cats wailing for their kits, and warriors dying on the ground. He said he didn't know whom was fighting whom, but he knew it had been an unjust battle led by Mudclaw, then Mudstar. He told Bluestar that he couldn't have let that happen, so he appointed Onewhisker deputy. He tells her that he died knowing that some of his Clanmates might hate him for what he did. He also said he knew that WindClan would be safe under Onewhisker, and that he would have to prove his strength one day. If he should have left Mudclaw be deputy, then it would be too late for regrets about his choice. He concluded by saying that whatever problems he had created by appointing Onewhisker leader, they were nothing compared to what would have happened should Mudclaw been allowed to lead WindClan.
- Tawnypelt mentions Tallstar when she gives the reader a tour of the lake territories. She tells the story of how Tallstar changed his mind about having Mudclaw as his deputy and giving the leadership to Onewhisker, losing his last life.
- Tigerstar mentions him on his tour around the forest territories, saying how Tallstar hadn't brought WindClan back to the moor until Fireheart and Graystripe came for them. He criticizes Tallstar for showing such weakness against Brokenstar, and that if he hadn't, his Clan may not be so reliant on ThunderClan now. Graystripe later mentions that Tallstar sent his best tunneling cats to flush out the fox cubs from their den at Fourtrees.
- Tallstar introduces WindClan, describing the attributes and relations with WindClan and its history and skills. He describes he would rather make an allegiance with another Clan to fend off trouble than make his Clanmates suffer over stubborn pride. He had to watch his Clan suffer more than any other when the Twolegs came and started destroying their territory. He stated he would not leave without the other Clans. WindClan is one of the four and always will be. They will preserve the ancient mountains cats’ legacy with WindClan’s speed and determination to survive.
- Tallstar has his own page. He is born to a pair of tunnelling cats who expected their son to follow the tradition of training to become a tunneler, but Tallkit preferred the freedom of the moor. Heatherstar realised this and made him a moor-runner apprentice, much to the disappointment of his parents. When Sandgorse was killed in a collapse while showing a visiting rouge named Sparrow one of the tunnels, Tallpaw decides to train as a tunneler, however, Heatherstar forbade cats to go belowground so he remained a moor-runner. Even when he received the warrior name of Talltail, he was still restless and angry with grief. Talltail left WindClan to find Sparrow and finally get his revenge. He met a kittypet named Jake, an unusual friendship formed when they travelled to find the rouges new home. Talltail was told by Jake that he could be a better cat by not taking Sparrow’s life in revenge. At the last moment, Talltail recalled the words and decided not to kill Sparrow, but the tom slipped over the edge from where he was poised on top of a cliff above a Thunderpath, forcing Talltail to save his life by risking his own. Sparrow told Talltail that Sandgorse died saving him from the collapsing tunnel. Talltail left the rouges with the intention to continue travelling with Jake, but Jake wanted to return to his Housefolk. Talltail knew deep down he was still a WindClan warrior. When he returned to the moor, he fought hard to win the respect of his Clanmates, and was rewarded by being made Heatherstar’s deputy. As WindClan’s Clan leader, Tallstar was remembered his travelling experiences and was willing to make allegiances across the borders to protect his Clan. When Firestar joined ThunderClan, Tallstar knew he was the son of Jake. He never let Firestar know he was once close to his father but instead favoured the ThunderClan cat, to the dismay of his Clanmates. Tallstar lived just long enough to make the Journey to the Clan’s new home beside the lake and died before the Clans separated to their new territories. Tallstar dismissed his deputy Mudclaw, fearing he would lead WindClan too quickly into battles and appointed Onewhisker instead. Tallstar mean’t well, but he left Mudclaw festering for a rebellion.
- He is mentioned on Onestar’s page. Onewhisker managed to persuade Tallstar not to fight Bluestar when she falsely accuses WindClan of stealing prey. He is next on Mudclaw’s page. Tallstar chose Mudclaw as deputy because Tallstar recognised the need for a warrior who is not afraid to show his claws to balance his own gentle leadership. When Tallstar dismissed Mudclaw as deputy and replaced him with Onewhisker, Mudclaw felt utterly betrayed. Mudclaw saw no reason behind his descision except he has lost his mind from old age.
In the Warriors App
- It is mentioned in Onestar's profile that he hated the way some of his Clanmates refused to accept him, though he understood their confusion. He blamed Tallstar, and sought him out in a dream to challenge him. When Tallstar refused to apologize for his decision, Onestar fought him. Onestar won, and Tallstar said that this had proved that he had made the right choice. Onestar still bears a scar on his ear from that fight.
In the Novellas
- Tallstar does not formally appear in Tigerclaw's Fury but is listed in the allegiances.
- Despite being hinted at by Vicky,, Tallstar never took a mate or had kits, and his heart always belonged "to his Jake". Vicky has also stated that Tallstar was not neutered while staying with Jake, and "he just wasn't interested in dating she-cats".
- Tallstar appears as WindClan's leader at a Gathering in Warrior's Return despite having died a few books before.
- Kate thinks Tallstar goes out of StarClan to visit Jake.
Please do not edit this gallery
= Gender Unknown
- "I know you're hungry. But we'll be safer here than back in our old territory, or Twoleg woods. Look at this place! Even ShadowClan won't follow us here. There's no scent of dog, and these Twolegs can hardly stand."
- —Tallstar to his Clan Fire and Ice, page 3
- "WindClan has traveled a long time. It's nearly a moon since ShadowClan drove us from our home. The weather is turning colder, and leaf-bare will be here soon. We have no choice but to stay."
- —Tallstar to his Clan, WindClan Fire and Ice, page 4
- Tallstar: "We've been seeing a lot of you lately, Fireheart. Just because you once led us home doesn't give you the freedom to wander around our territory."
- Fireheart: "So I've been warned. However, I must put the needs of my Clan first."
- Rising Storm, page 311
- Tigerstar: "We have come to invite you to be joint leaders of a greater Clan, to be known as TigerClan."
- Tallstar: "TigerClan was the name of one of the great Clans of ancient times. Tigerstar has no right to use it now. Nor does he have the right to change the number of Clans in the forest. We have lived as four Clans for innumerable seasons, following the warrior code laid down for us by StarClan. To throw aside our ancient ways would bring disaster. I'll die before I join my Clan to yours!"
- The Darkest Hour, pages 136-137
- "Perhaps it's my age that grants me this clarity ... perhaps it's how close I've come to StarClan. But I can see our Clan's future. I see Onewhisker--no, Onestar--leading the cats of WindClan in harmony. With Firestar at his side. An equal. A friend. WindClan and ThunderClan working together, just as our two Clans have done on this journey."
- —Tallstar envisioning the future Tallstar's Revenge, page 507
- "Before I go to StarClan, there is something I must do. Firestar, Onewhisker, listen. Mudclaw is a brave warrior. but he is not the right cat to lead WindClan. In these last moons we have learned that the future of our Clans lies in friendship. I want no rivalry between WindClan and ThunderClan after I am gone. We must have no enemies. But this will not happen if Mudclaw rules the Clan. I can still choose the cat who will lead WindClan after me. From this moment Mudclaw is no longer deputy of WindClan."
- —Tallstar appointing a new deputy before his death Starlight, pages 118-119
- "He spent nine long lives fighting for his Clan, defending the borders, forging alliances that would grant his Clanmates one more moon of peace, and battling creatures within his territory that wanted to harm his kits."
- —Rock describing Tallstar Cats of the Clans, page 46
- "A tabby can't change his stripes. Shrewpaw was born with a burr in his fur. I'll just have to put up with it."
- —Tallpaw to Dawnstripe Tallstar's Revenge, page 87
- "I learned a lot. Friendship and kinship matter more than adventure. Boundaries only exist in our minds. A heart can travel to the horizon without moving a paw step. And I made the best friend any cat ever had."
- —Talltail explaining to Heatherstar what he had learned Tallstar's Revenge, page 444
- "We all have our flaws, but we overcome them. And sometimes, it's our flaws that make us who we are."
- —Talltail explaining why he wants to mentor Hopkit Tallstar's Revenge, page 487
|Tallpaw's Apprentice Ceremony|
|Talltail's Warrior Ceremony|
|Tallstar's Leader Ceremony|
|Reference: Tallstar's Revenge, pages 494-503|
References and Citations
- ↑ Revealed in Fire and Ice, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 321
- ↑ Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 390
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 491
- ↑ Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 210
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 6
- ↑ Revealed in Starlight, page 119
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's official Blog
- ↑ Revealed in the Warriors App
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 240
- ↑ Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 290
- ↑ Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 101
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Revealed in Into the Wild, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 36
- ↑ Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 490
- ↑ Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 1
- ↑ Revealed in Twilight, page 27
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 1
- ↑ Revealed in The Sight, page 184
- ↑ Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 53
- ↑ Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 357
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook page
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's Facebook
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's blog
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- ↑ Revealed in Warrior's Return, page 90
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's official Blog
- ↑ Revealed on Kate Cary's Facebook
- ↑ Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 13
- ↑ Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 8
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 32.2 32.3 Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 274
- ↑ Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 493