|"Tallkit stiffened. Suddenly he imagined himself at the bottom of a long tunnel, far from the sky, digging in the dark through filthy clay, desperately trying to find his way through to fresh air."|
|— Tallkit's thoughts about tunneling in Tallstar's Revenge, page 43-44|
|Chapter Number:||4 (of 45)|
|Point of View:||Tallkit|
- Below contains in-depth information for chapter four of Tallstar's Revenge. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: 4 (of 45)
- Page Numbers: 42-49
- Sandgorse enters the camp, followed by Plumclaw and Mistmouse. Streaked mud covers the tom's pelt, and his shoulders sag- Tallkit rushes to see his father, who greets him. Asking if Tallkit has had a good day, Sandgorse learns that Flamepelt has told the kit about the time he chased a rabbit underneath ShadowClan territory, to which he mews that it is a good story. He then mentions that they've been working on a gorge tunnel. Heatherstar arrives, with Reedfeather bounding after, and she prompts the group about the tunnel progress. Surveying the pelts of the returning cats, the leader's eyes flash with concern. However, Sandgorse reports the amount of work done, which Reedfeather addresses, narrowing his eyes. Despite that, Plumclaw shakes out her fur, stating that it'll be worth it upon completion.
- Heatherstar questions when the tunnel will be finished, causing Sandgorse and Mistmouse to exchange glances. The latter confesses that the answer is difficult to predict, due to the materials involved inside of the tunnels. Reedfeather admits that the effort sounds dangerous, but Sandgorse declares that while it is challenging, the group is learning a lot, and there will be a tunnel down to the river. The cats further discuss the plans, specifically regarding RiverClan, before Sandgorse turns his attention to Tallkit. Purring that he cannot wait to show him, Sandgorse mentions that Tallkit might be apprenticed in time to help finish digging the tunnel.
- Although Tallkit initially felt a rush of pride, he proceeds to stiffen, and imagines himself in a tunneling situation. Swallowing, the kit's chest tightens, and he responds shakily. Fluffing up her fur, Heatherstar suggests that the tunnelers get dry, as the cold wind could give them greencough if they are not cautious. Heading away, Sandgorse calls for Tallkit, requesting aid to remove grit from behind his ears. Tallkit scurries after, screwing his face as Sandgorse shakes out his pelt, causing mud to splatter. He is met with the mention of mucky fur, and he shudders.
- Palebird calls out that Sandgorse is getting his son dirty, hurrying towards the two. Objecting that Tallkit is helping clean up, Sandgorse asks Tallkit if he wants to help out, to which Tallkit gazes at the mud-crusted tom, and inwardly declares that he does not. Palebird presses her muzzle to Tallkit's head, admitting that one day Tallkit will be doing the same for himself. Eyes shining, Sandgorse announces that he cannot wait until the three of them run tunnels, but Palebird sighs, mentioning that it might be a while. Sandgorse sharply looks up, gaze darkening as he asks if she'll be ready by the time Tallkit is apprenticed. However, the she-cat shakes her head, stating that she doesn't think she'll be strong enough. Sandgorse attempts to reassure his mate, but she turns away and heads for the nursery. Tallkit is told by Sandgorse to go with her, and that he will wash his ears by himself.
- Tallkit trots after his mother, and upon entering the nursery, Brackenwing sits up, pelt ruffled with sleep. She asks where Barkkit and Shrewkit are, leading Tallkit to wonder if she knows that her son is planning on becoming Hawkheart's apprentice. However, the kit keeps the thought to himself and tells the queen that they are playing outside. He then tries to nurse from Palebird, only to have his mother pull away as she says no. Tallkit tries again, but is shoved back by Palebird's paw, and she explains that her milk is drying up and that he is old enough to eat from the prey heap. Giving up the argument, Tallkit is encouraged by Brackenwing, who says that her sons have been eating prey for a moon, and now prefer it.
- Brackenwing pulls Tallkit from the nest, nosing him towards the entrance as she whispers to Palebird to rest. Reluctantly, Tallkit slides from the den, shaking out the nursery wool from his claws. The kit stares across the camp, surveying the prey pile, before stomping towards the heap. However, the scents swamp him, and Tallkit draws back, wrinkling his nose. Plumclaw's mew startles him, and she suggests to the kit to try a mouse first, explaining that it is not too strong, but easy to chew. Tallkit obeys, and Plumclaw purrs her encouragement. As Tallkit adjusts to the taste of prey, Plumclaw mentions that they should stop crowding the heap, and eat elsewhere. Tallkit follows.
- Plumclaw begins discussing with Tallkit that he'll be an apprentice soon, and he asks Plumclaw if she liked the idea of being a tunneler when she was apprenticed. The she-cat eagerly meows that she knew she would be good at the tunneling system, because both of her parents were tunnelers, and she was small enough with wide paws. Trying not to sound worried, Tallkit asks if she likes it, and Plumclaw admits that tunneling feels like a secret world. When questioned about missing the wind in her pelt, Plumclaw surprisedly looks at Tallkit, confessing that she feels safe with the soil against her. The two exchange a joke, before Barkkit bounces towards the two.
- Halting in front of Tallkit, Barkkit announces that Heatherstar approved of his request to become a medicine cat apprentice. Plumclaw congratulates him, as does Tallkit, although Tallkit feels a pang of envy as he notes that he won't be happy with digging tunnels. Catching onto his friend's expression, Barkkit asks what the matter is, to which Tallkit pushes his feelings aside to admit he is happy for him. Noticing that Tallkit is eating prey, Barkkit mentions his observation, then adds that he prefers shrew. Offering to play the game of Rabbit, Barkkit is asked by Tallkit, who pushes the rest of his prey to Plumclaw, if he should be rabbit. The kit agrees, and Tallkit responds that he is not hiding under any prickly bushes, to which Barkkit declares that he can always pull the thorns out.
|Tallstar's Revenge chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25 • Chapter 26 • Chapter 27 • Chapter 28 • Chapter 29 • Chapter 30 • Chapter 31 • Chapter 32 • Chapter 33 • Chapter 34 • Chapter 35 • Chapter 36 • Chapter 37 • Chapter 38 • Chapter 39 • Chapter 40 • Chapter 41 • Chapter 42 • Chapter 43 • Chapter 44 • Chapter 45 • Manga|