|Chapter Number:||8 (of 27)|
|Point of View:||Gray Wing|
- Below contains in-depth information for chapter eight of Thunder Rising. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: 8 (of 27)
- Page Numbers: 93-114
Gray Wing's PoV
- Gray Wing and Thunder are on their way back to the hollow after a session of hunting practice. When the cats woke up after the dispute on the previous night, they settled into their usual routines without mention of a change of leader again, to Gray Wing's relief. He hopes they had the heard the last of the argument, believing it was all so stupid. Tall Shadow had reappeared and was organizing the camp. Gray Wing had intercepted Shattered Ice when he was heading for the tunnel he was digging out with Jackdaw's Cry, apologizing for calling him stupid last night.
- Thunder breaks into his thoughts and says he tried really hard, but he didn't catch anything. Gray Wing admits that Thunder was still having trouble hunting on the moor, saying that his instincts were to hide and stalk, although there is nowhere to hide on the moor. Thunder fails to catch an injured bird, and Gray Wing criticizes him for stalking instead of running. The two cats quarrel briefly. After it, Gray Wing heads back to the hollow. Thunder apologizes for their quarrel, and Gray Wing reassures him that it takes time to master his own techniques. Thunder spots a mouse, and Gray Wing silently praises him, thinking he'll grow into an outstanding cat.
- A cat from the hollow cries that Turtle Tail is having her kits. Gray Wing hurtles down into camp, to Turtle Tail's tunnel. Rainswept Flower and Jagged Peak stand in the entrance of Turtle Tail's tunnel; the former orders everyone to keep back. Gazing past Rainswept Flower, Gray Wing could see Turtle Tail with Cloud Spots and Dappled Pelt, and thinks in relief that they can help her through this. Gray Wing wiggles his way through the crowd until he stood in front of Rainswept Flower and Jagged Peak, demanding them to let him through. They say that Turtle Tail needs her space, but Gray Wing pushes past them, and enters the tunnel. Rainswept Flower was outraged that he had done so. Cloud Spots says it's okay now, and to say hello to the new kits.
- Gray Wing looks down and is instantly fascinated by the kits as they squirm in the bedding alongside their mother. He remembers seeing Jagged Peak and Fluttering Bird just after they were born, and he feels the same deep connection with the kits. Unsure of himself, Gray Wing takes a step back and tells Turtle Tail he'll leave her in peace. Rainswept Flower and Gray Wing come out of the tunnel, and Rainswept Flower announces Turtle Tail has three healthy kits. Gray Wing pads back to his nest, hearing yowls of approval. He questions his behavior, and why he wanted to be one of the first cats to meet Turtle Tail's kits.
- Gray Wing wakes up in the cave behind the waterfall, and wonders how he got back here. He sees that all the cats are sleeping, and spots Quiet Rain and Dewy Leaf, who is curled around two healthy-looking kits, among them. He could not see any cats who made the journey with him from the mountains. He notices that they all look well fed, as if they did the right thing to leave the mountains. He thinks that he must be dreaming, and wishes it was real.
- A cat meows his name, and he turns towards the sound and sees Stoneteller standing there. She invites him to come with her to her den, the Cave of Pointed Stones. When they arrive, Stoneteller welcomes him, and Gray Wing asks how he got here, with Stoneteller replying they both walk in dreams. She tells him a new life awaits him, and he must turn his paws onto a new path. She says she thinks there is another reason his dream led him into the place set apart for the leaders of the Tribe. Gray Wing protests that Tall Shadow is their leader, with Stoneteller responding who can tell what lies ahead in the seasons to come, and tells him to be ready and to walk his new path with courage. Gray Wing then wakes in his own nest.
- The next morning, Gray Wing emerges from his nest, guessing that most of the cats were still asleep, as the camp was quiet. He tells himself Tall Shadow is their leader, pushing the disturbing dream to the back of his mind. He spots Thunder emerging from the tunnel he shared with Lightning Tail and Acorn Fur, and the young cat bounds over to him. Thunder asks him if he could see Turtle Tail's kits. Gray Wing says he is not sure, also saying she needs peace and quiet to sleep and get her strength back.
- Cloud Spots appears from Turtle Tail's tunnel, telling him she would love some visitors, and suggests Gray Wing to go hunting and bring a mouse for her. Gray Wing agrees, and him and Thunder go hunting. With an encouraging nod from Gray Wing, Thunder catches a mouse without any trouble. He asks if they could see Turtle Tail now, and Gray Wing replies to see if they can find something else first. Gray Wing spots another mouse, and Thunder catches it. He collects the other mouse and the two cats go back to camp.
- They enter Turtle Tail's den. To Gray Wing's surprise, Jagged Peak was sitting beside her, watching her kits keenly. Rainswept Flower is also present, tucking fresh bedding around Turtle Tail and her litter. Gray Wing asks Jagged Peak what he is doing here, and Rainswept Flower replies he is being helpful. Gray Wing says he didn't mean to criticize, and Jagged Peak says that's okay. Rainswept Flower gives a last pat to the moss, and tells Jagged Peak to help her collect some more moss. The two cats then leave the den.
- Gray Wing tells Turtle Tail that they brought her some prey, adding that Thunder caught them. She praises the ginger tom, and thanks them. Thunder drops the mice, and admits he couldn't have done it without Gray Wing. He gazes down at the kits with wonder. As his gaze gradually grew distant, Gray Wing guesses he was remembering his mother, Storm and his littermates. As Turtle Tail eats one of the mice, Gray Wing watches the kits, fascinated by them. Thunder asks if she has given them names yet, and the tortoiseshell she-cat replies she hasn't yet, saying she is waiting until at least their eyes are open.
- Gray Wing watches the three kits nurse, and thinks back to how Turtle Tail had said that they needed a father. His heart flutters excitedly at the thought of helping her bring up her kits. He notices that Turtle Tail still looked exhausted, and says to her that they will let her sleep. Gray Wing and Thunder head out of the den, saying that they will do more hunting.
- A moon passes since the kits were born. Excited squealing wakes up Gray Wing from his sleep. He sees Turtle Tail's kits playing with Jagged Peak. He feels warmth surge through him to see how close his brother was to the kits. Turtle Tail sits at the entrance to her den, keeping an eye on them. Rainswept Flower and Hawk Swoop also observes them from a little farther away. Hawk Swoop tells Lightning Tail and Acorn Fur that they can't play with them yet, as they are too little. On the other side of camp, Tall Shadow is grooming herself in her dead, while Shattered Ice and Jackdaw's Cry are on the way out to hunt. Cloud Spots is sorting through a pile of herbs.
- Optimism rises inside of Gray Wing at the sight of daily life continuing peacefully in the camp. He bounds over to Turtle Tail and joins her in watching her kits. While they are talking, the three kits charge back to their mother, and the tortoiseshell tells Gray Wing their names. She named the gray tom kit Owl Eyes, the tabby tom Pebble Heart, and the tortoiseshell Sparrow Fur. Sparrow Fur says that Turtle Tail told them they can go out on the moor today. Gray Wing offers to come with them, adding it might take the two of them to keep them in order. Turtle Tail agrees, and they go to the top of the hollow.
- Coming Soon
References and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 93
- ↑ Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 96
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 97
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 98
- ↑ Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 99
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 100
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 102
- ↑ Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 107
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 110
- ↑ Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 105
- ↑ Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 111
- ↑ Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 108
- ↑ Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 19
|Thunder Rising chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25 • Chapter 26 • Chapter 27 • Bonus Scene|