|Chapter Number:||5 (of 40)|
|Page Numbers:||54- 65|
|Point of View:||Yellowpaw|
- Below contains in-depth information for chapter five of Yellowfang's Secret. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: 5 (of 40)
- Page Numbers: 54-65
- Yellowpaw gasps in horror that Silverflame could not leave them. Brightflower bends her head to touch Yellowpaw's ear with her nose and tells her that she has to. Yellowpaw sees anxiety in her eyes, and sympathizes with her, stating that she knew would she would feel if Brightflower was dying, and that she must feel the same way towards her dying mother. Yellowpaw chokes out that she wants to see her, and Brightflower allows her to, but tells her to be very quiet. She then steps back so Yellowpaw to slide underneath the branches into the elders' den.
- As Silverflame lies on her side with her legs are splayed out, eyes are half closed, and her chest heaves with rasping breaths, Sagewhisker crouches over her. Eyes gleaming, Littlebird and Lizardfang watch from the corner. As Yellowpaw draws closer to the old she-cat, she feels that her pelt was on fire. She reels back and blinks, and whispers to Sagewhisker that Silverflame was very thirsty. Yellowpaw asks her why wasn't she giving her something to drink, and why wasn't she treating her pain. Sagewhisker then looks up, her eyes full of grief, and murmurs that there was nothing more that she could do.
- Yellowpaw wails that there must be more that Sagewhisker could do, but Littlebird gently nudges her and tells her to come with her. Yellowpaw disagrees, feeling that her whole world was full of pain and grief for Silverflame, but Littlebird softly meows to Yellowpaw that she can't help her now, and that she must come away. Yellowpaw lets herself be urged towards the entrance, and before she ducks under the branches, she looks at Silverflame and whispers her a goodbye. Silverflame shows no sign that she had heard Yellowpaw, and draws in a breath that rattles in her throat. Yellowpaw then climbs out of the den, and strains her ears for the next breath, which does not come.
- Yellowpaw asks Littlebird if Silverflame was dead, and she nods, saying that she hunted with StarClan now. Yellowpaw then digs her claws into the ground, saying that she shouldn't be dead, and asks why didn't Sagewhisker save her. Littlebird is about to explain why when Yellowpaw cuts her words off in an enraged yowl, stating that she should have saved her, and asks what good of a medicine cat was Sagewhisker if she didn't save her. Littlebird gently meows to Yellowpaw to take a walk with her, and Brightflower encourages her to, touching her ear with her nose. Yellowpaw then follows Littlebird out of camp, and her eyes blur with sadness. She realizes that Littlebird was heading towards the marshes that Deerleap had showed her earlier, feeling that the tour of the territories happened in another life.
- Littlebird tells Yellowpaw that medicine cats can only do their best with what knowledge they have, and that StarClan wanted Silverflame to walk with them. She pauses besides a shrub with a few leaves on its branches, and points out the the juniper bush Sagewhisker used to help Silverflame's pain, and during newleaf, there was coltsfoot for shortness of breath, but is interrupted by Yellowpaw, who states that none of them did any good. She says that Sagewhisker should have found something better, adding that what was the use of a medicine cat if they couldn't heal their Clanmates. Littlebird responds by saying that death was a part of life, stating that every good warrior would go StarClan, adding that it was a glorious place to end up. She raises one of her paws and then points at a star shining above their heads, saying that Silverflame was watching over them now. Yellowpaw whispers that she wanted Silverflame back in the Clan, knowing that the star was too far to mean anything, and it was uncertain if any cat knew if it was Silverflame. Littlebird only murmurs that every cat has to leave sometime, and until then, all they could do was try their hardest to be the best for their Clan.
- There is a time skip into leaf-bare. The grass is sharp with frost and prey stayed deep inside their holes. Yellowpaw feels like her belly is flapping, but Deerleap keeps her on a grueling training regime. Yellowpaw mutters to Nutpaw that she has to wake up before everyone else, and some mornings they were out before the dawn patrol. Nutpaw, still half-asleep, mutters that Yellowpaw is doing great, and that Deerleap is a fantastic mentor.
- Yellowpaw snorts, though she is pleased with her brother's praise since she is training hard. Deerleap calls Yellowpaw, and she scrambles out of the apprentices' den to find Deerleap impatiently flexing her claws. The first faint light of dawn is creeping towards the sky, but Yellowpaw could barely see the outline of the trees.
- More Coming Soon
References and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 54
- ↑ Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 56
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 61
- ↑ Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 57
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 60
- ↑ Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 55
|Yellowfang's Secret chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25 • Chapter 26 • Chapter 27 • Chapter 28 • Chapter 29 • Chapter 30 • Chapter 31 • Chapter 32 • Chapter 33 • Chapter 34 • Chapter 35 • Chapter 36 • Chapter 37 • Chapter 38 • Chapter 39 • Chapter 40 • Manga|